Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring my 78 from the ground up
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring my 78 from the ground up Reply with quote

Shocked All my manual trans have worked like lightbulbs- some have flickered for a bit-

That would include popping out of gear-- to wit comes the bungie cord and gives you 2 paychecks worth of service to save up-

The "Whats that noise " flicker-- usually a pinion bearing . Just adding fluid often gets you buy for the required 2 paycheck-moment

Most common has been to ignore one and two untill both rear wheels leave a reverse burn out on the pavement. Yes- THAT'S when you realize you should have followed one and two more carefully.

So if the odo says 200,000 and your putting in a fresh motor- just go ahead and send it to Wright, or one of the "COS" rebuilders and never worry bought it again. Smile

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring my 78 from the ground up Reply with quote

I got a few special deliveries this week and started working on my engine today. I have lots of questions!
First off I installed some parts I got from Awesome Powder Coat, very happy with the quality. I have the flaps on the fan shroud and the thermostat installed but I need some alternator parts before I can go further.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any suggestions about the flaps that go on the ends of the fan shroud?

I have seen different topics about the o rings that go into the corrugated tubes, I think I found them online but not sure if they were the same thing, any suggestions for ordering these? And yes, that's my faithful shop dog Hurricane, as always, supervising the process.

And Finally this piece was not installed when I got my engine back. Is there a torque for this?

I appreciate any help with my questions. I will be doing my own research but this being my first VW build, its very confusing compared to what I am use to.
Thanks,
Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring my 78 from the ground up Reply with quote

Any suggestions about the flaps that go on the ends of the fan shroud?
Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A

And Finally this piece was not installed when I got my engine back. Is there a torque for this?
Did you put #9 oring 021 119 125 A between the fan hub and crankshaft?
You need the large washer #7 as well.
thx jersey

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/1-035.jpg

Good luck
Tcash
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring my 78 from the ground up Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
Is the #09 O ring installed? oops is going to be my answer! I was not familiar with the #9 so I doubt it's on there. Now I have to get a puller to remove the fan hub. Thanks for the heads up.

Here is a new question. I'm assembling some more today and following some videos. It said this flap should be closed when the engine is in the cold position. This photo is what my closed position looks like and it does not look right. Do I need to bend the rod to move the whole flab to the center of the opening or is this normal?
Thanks,
Charlie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring my 78 from the ground up Reply with quote

No bending required. The adjustment is in the cable.
Type IV (4) Cooling Flaps Closed n Open
thnx mayor ratwell
Thermostats Explained
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring my 78 from the ground up Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8501205#8501205

Fan hub removal.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring my 78 from the ground up Reply with quote

Thanks, that is pretty simple! You saved me from buying a second steering wheel puller (First one packed in a storage unit)

lil-jinx wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8501205#8501205

Fan hub removal.
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring my 78 from the ground up Reply with quote

I finally worked a little on the engine. I removed and installed the O ring behind the fan hub. It was not long before I ran into my next issue, should the fan hub be flush with the crank, you see see in my photo it is not but it torque properly. Do I need to take a hammer and get it all the way on?
Also, this time I looked before I assembled, there is the space that goes on after the fan hub. I have a pulley there and not the correct spacer, is this just some backyard mechanic work? What was this pulley suppose to be used for?
Charlie

Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring my 78 from the ground up Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
It's been a while since my last post and unfortunately, not much has changed about my bus. I am in the process of trying to assemble the engine and really do not know what I'm doing. You can see in the photos I ordered the wrong lower tins for my engine and now I am having trouble finding the correct style. Does anyone have a source for the correct lower tin pieces? I think I found some covers for the non-return flaps on ebay but would like to see if you guys know of any.

Charlie

Just to clarify, the engine is upside down on the engine in all these photos

This picture shows my problem.

Is this the original set up my van came with? I have seen heat exchangers with exhaust pipes attached which bolt directly to the engine.

I have the exhaust gaskets coming, should be here next week.

Do the non-return flaps from a Porsche 914 fit?

[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: