Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

In perspective, each one of these storms kills 10-50 people in Central America from flooding And mudslides. You really can lose your life in these things in a lot of countries.

Great plan for Emma...did you guys have a go bag plan to evacuate or were your scrambling? Might be something to document there for future travelers

Glad you guys are safe and Emma will clean up,just fine. Fresh water, promptly treated , isn't too bad on an older generation engine with limited electronics

Last edited by Abscate on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Shocked d'oh! d'oh! Popcorn WELL thats RUDE-- 20 pages of fun and now this-- Glad you guys got out alive- statistics on evacuating a water crash are very poor- Embarassed

Let me know if you need any help- if you cross at Algodones- your just 80 miles away (thats nothing by Az. standards)--

Make sure you soak that motor in some form of marine engine storage oil- or you will have nothing left when you get her back. same with the trans- If you can get her started before you ship- that's even better. getting the water out is important- run it! even if you have to squirt gas down the intake- toss the AC as that will carry lots of water right to where you don't need it.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

It was certainly an early morning call I'll never forget. If you are a parent, you especially know what I mean. The kids were ok and that was all that really mattered. At the time Emma said they had to leave Big Emma behind and it was almost completely under water when they last saw her. Emma just hoped the bus would be in the vicinity of where they left her and not swept miles down the river. Again....... they were ok and that is the only thing I cared about in the moment.

I will be traveling down to Florida to pick up both regular and Big Emma in the coming weeks. In a separate thread I'll be asking for advice on that process.

I will let Emma and Sven give out the bulk of the information, but with the help and long distance guidance from Robbie, and the assistance of some wonderful local Belize mechanics, they got the engine running so a major hurdle has been overcome.

The water and mud have pretty much destroyed all of the interior and warped the wooden cabinets beyond repair. Luckily the body seems to have come thru with a surprisingly minimal amount of damage. In the coming weeks and months, we will rebuild her.... better than before (insert sound effects from the Six Million Dollar Man here).

You're not thru with these guys and this bus by any stretch of the imagination.

Andrew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

You did well, and the Gods smiled upon you, to recover Big Emma. Flash floods usually just carry stuff away and a 2 ton car is nothing to the force of water. Big Emma could easily have ended up in the Caribbean Sea

Wood might not be original Rolling Eyes but the cabinets and stuff are easily fixed, and this time you can improve on the design. Put a serial number 001 on your interior, and its matching numbers...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Sorry to hear and see what happened. Safe travels back to the States.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

This was the last thing I expected to see whan I clicked here, Wow!, what a bummer, but super glad you guys are OK. It's not the end of the adventure, just a detour.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

The important thing is both of you are safe. The bus can be repaired. It's a shame this particular adventure ended like this for sure. Crying or Very sad

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Guys sorry it ended that way. I very glad you are both ok and not hurt. You could've easily been swept away and stuffed under a log. Shocked

Scary shit that flash flooding.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments guys, it's good to hear warm words these days.

We're definitely grateful to have noticed the rising water in time and to have gotten out and to shore before it got too high. I also do think we are incredibly lucky (as some of you have pointed out) that Big Emma didn't get swept away.

I always didn't like that the driver's side is so much heavier than the passenger side (it has the bulk of cabinets, fridge, etc.), but this time I'm really grateful because I think that's the reason why the bus tipped to the side it did and onto shore and not towards the middle of the river.

All in all, we got out of this one pretty lucky. So far at least.

Thanks to the mechanics here in Belize and to a detailed step-by-step guide from Robbie (helps when thinking isn't your strong suit due to shit going down) we managed to avoid catastrophic failure in the engine.

More water than oil came out when we drained the engine, and turning it over by hand the next day made water squirting out of the spark plug holes.. But magically.. everything seems fine. I fear for long-term effects on un-serviceable parts like the fuel pump, but that's something to worry about later.

I do have one question. I want to drain and change the transmission oil (tranny has been leaking oil both on the nose cone and the clutch end for months, so I figure water might have gotten in). But specific transmission oil seems to be generally un-available in Belize. The mechanic here told me they just put normal engine oil in their transmissions. What do you guys think about that? Can I do that for a limited amount of time? Is there even a significant difference between engine oil and tranny oil? I suppose engine oil can't be worth than water and rust.... please let me know your thoughts.

All the best from Belize,
Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
did you guys have a go bag plan to evacuate or were your scrambling? Might be something to document there for future travelers

We didn't have a go bag ready. Most things we packed were either hidden away from possible thieves (passports) or daily use items (laptops) that are not practical to have in a go bag. Still, some sort of procedure for rapid disembarkment might be a good idea for any traveler. Would have helped us to save some time and get out faster.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Engine oil or better yet ATF is better than nothing in the transmission, how far do you have to drive it to where it ships from?, or is it getting towed?

Ask that farmer where he gets his gear oil for his tractor.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Wow, I'm so sorry guys but I'm glad everyone is OK. My .02 is silt gets everywhere.. probaby a good idea to break down the engine and tranny and flush things really well..
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
The mechanic here told me they just put normal engine oil in their transmissions. What do you guys think about that? Can I do that for a limited amount of time?
Sven

Yes.
VW blesses the use of engine oil in the transaxle when temps drop below about 10 below 0 Farenheit. I would not use ATF, however, as its viscosity is lower yet.
Colin
(for the record, I used transaxle oil in the engine once for about 60 miles because I accidentally drained the engine oil only to discover that I did not have fresh new engine oil!)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Do all the fluid changes twice. The first time is a flush out. Probably best to use something like motor oil or ATF for flush followed up by the correct lube. Just put a few miles on it and drain and fill.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

saw this on instagram and haven't read through everybody's comments, but so glad you guys are ok and the van seems...ok...?? what an adventure. safe travels and best wishes!
wanderglobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Wow guys. Soooo glad you're both OK but still, that really sucks. Rebuild her! She'll be better than before and we'll hit the road again.
============================
Twitter: www.twitter.com/wanderglobe
YouTube: www.youtube.com/myvwtravels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

What a superb thread, loved reading it from start to now, your adventures epitomize bus ownership, hats off to you for heading out on to the open road!

Excellent pics of your adventures but sorry to see how Big Emma has ended up in the flood. I am pleased to hear your all okay!

Good luck, I'll keep an eye on how events pan out.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Hey guys!

We did change out the transmission oil and it was a good call to do it. Pulling the plug, there was a bunch of water coming out before it started turning oily-black.

Now Big Emma's transmission is running some good old 10W40. We only have to go around 60 miles to Belize City, so I hope that will be fine.

I did drive her up and down the road a few times yesterday and everything seemed fine. The clutch feels a little different than it did before, but it still worked well.

We are still working for the paperwork to get processed for shipping. They told us it would work out to ship this Sunday, but as the days go by and things don't happen, it seems more and more difficult. Maybe I don't have enough confidence in the Belizean efficiency.. we'll see.

Keep your fingers crossed that it'll still work out!

Sveen
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

You should find someone wanting one of those Brazilian busses to share the container with to offset some of the costs. Very Happy

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Glad you are alive and well. It's amazing that Big Emma survived! Best of luck to you both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 27

Jump to: