Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

you can make your own lead, the instructions are linked in the very first post of this thread, or you can order one from antonio trejo. from the adapter you link to a K-line decoder (the blue cable they sell all over the place on the internet) with VAG-COM.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
you can make your own lead, the instructions are linked in the very first post of this thread, or you can order one from antonio trejo. from the adapter you link to a K-line decoder (the blue cable they sell all over the place on the internet) with VAG-COM.

Many thanks for that
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sorry to pester guys; is there a simple test I can do to determine whether the temp sensor is operating correctly, without having to plug into vagcom?
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
the ECU senses the temperature of the engine through a sensor in the LH cylinder head. that may be bad, causing the ECU to think the engine is cold when its warm and giving it a too rich mixture. but it's just a theory. if you hook up diagnostics you can see the temperature in the 001 measuring block, or you may find fault codes related to the temperature sensor itself.

Your theory is now appearing very possible.
I remember when cars had manual chokes fitted and if you continued driving with the choke still pulled out after the engine had got up to temperature, the car would shudder along due to overfueling - this appears to be what is happening with my beetle.
Can anyone send me a link to where I may be able to purchase this temperature sensor from ?
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

the part number is 113 906 161, i currently have a Beru one I found on the bay, IIRC it used to be available from vw dealers too.

theoretically, it may be possible to verify the sensor with a multimeter, there are instruction videos on youtube (in spanish), however I've never tried it myself as IMHO it's just easier with the scanner.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

It appears we have found the culprit. A fellow VW enthusiast here in the UK who is very knowlegable with the mexi beetles, suggested i disconnect the temp sensor and see if that makes a difference. This i did, drove the beetle around for 15 minutes and RESULT!!! no misfire or shuddering, so as i work in a car parts warehouse, a Beru replacement will be purchased tomorrow and hopefully the outcome will be a positive one - fingers crossed!!!
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Recently I drove our 1600i in the dark, and I noticed that while having low-beam on, the blue high-beam indicator was faintly lit.
And when I engaged the high-beam the indicator went out completely!

I investigated yesterday, and I found out the ground for this indicator light goes throught he speedometer light.
The top one is the speedometer light, the bottem one is the high-beam indicator light:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The little tabs that push against the light-insert didn't make a good contact, causing a bad ground.
I've bent the little tabs outward a bit, so they contact the light housing better.
But I don't like that the ground for the high-beam indicator goes through the speedometer light. It adds failure points.
So I added a bypass loop:

Now, it's working correct again, low-beam, blue light is off, high-beam, nice bright blue light.

Notes if you want to try this too:
- The little screws are not 6 mm, and not 7 mm, I didn't have a 6.5 mm, but a screw bit holder fits perfectly)
- The little tabs that press against the light inserts can fall down easily when the screw is unscrewed, leave the light in to hold the tab in place, if possible
- You will need to remove the support bar that's in front of the speedometer to access these lights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I spotted this bracket on a picture of a '99 that was for sale. It looks like it might be used for the seatbelt or maybe to fold the seat back.

I haven't noticed this bracket before, anyone else have it, and if what is it used for?

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
I spotted this bracket on a picture of a '99 that was for sale. It looks like it might be used for the seatbelt or maybe to fold the seat back.

I haven't noticed this bracket before, anyone else have it, and if what is it used for?

I have them on both front seats of my '99 Mexi. Press down and upright part of front seat tilts forward to allow access into rear
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

wil7496 wrote:

I have them on both front seats of my '99 Mexi. Press down and upright part of front seat tilts forward to allow access into rear

Thanks, that's a change to the seats that I didn't know about. I don't have that lever on my '96, instead a lever like the late '70s Beetles:

Hmm... I wonder if I could fit the new design onto my seats, as the cables inside my driver's side are broken.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
porker buzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: it wont start after being laid up Reply with quote

I have got a 2000 Mexican beetle, I have changed the fuel pump relay fuse is ok but engine wont start , also fitted another fuel pump but still wont start how can I tell if the pump is working as when you turn engine over all you hear is a click from fuel pump no whirring sound , I have also changed fuel filter and it still wont start , do people think its the pump or could it be a immoboliser problem car is very low mileage but its been laid up for a while , it worked perfectly before it was laid up if I drop some petrol down throttle body it starts straightaway any help appreciated
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Some members here know how to bypass the immobilizer (unfortunately I am not one of them Crying or Very sad ). It doesn't sound immobilizer related to me, anyway you can simply check with a multimeter or test lamp if you are getting power at the pump conncector when the key is in the on position. I see you are in the UK, IIRC cars that were converted to RHD had their pump moved on the left side of the chassis, I suppose this involved also modifications to the pump harness, if this is your case I'd also try to trace the wires.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Some members here know how to bypass the immobilizer (unfortunately I am not one of them Crying or Very sad ). ...

Garba, send Antonio a note, he has the instructions on how to bypass the immobilizer on the later cars. (I'm not sure what year the immobilizer was changed, the instructions I followed [for my '96] are on www.1600i.de ).

As far as the porker buzz's original post, it sounds to me like relay#30, even though he states that he replaced it. I would double check that relay before purchasing another fuel pump. (And check the wires as Garba suggests).
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)

Last edited by hopkin on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:

Still not been able to locate the instructions to make up a lead. Ive emailed and sent messages to Antonio over the last week or so but not received any replies - desperate for a lead now as mexi just parked up and unable to drive untill problem sorted, any help would be appreciated
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi. You need the parts listed in my post here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7349148#7349148

Connected like explained here on 1600i.de:

http://www.1600i.de/1600i-elektronik/diagnosestecker/OBDIItoVAG1551-7Adaptor.htm

edit: the parts list is just for reference, I bought them from a vw dealer because I had one nearby and they had that stuff in stock, the only part that needs to be that part number is the three way connector so if you locate e.g. an used one with some wire still attachef you can just join it to any old obd2 plug as per the instructions
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v

Last edited by GArBa on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Hi. You need the parts listed in my post here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7349148#7349148

Connected like explained here on 1600i.de:

http://www.1600i.de/1600i-elektronik/diagnosestecker/OBDIItoVAG1551-7Adaptor.htm

Many thanks for that
porker buzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

the beetle is still original left hand drive even though I am in the uk I originally changed fuel pump relay but this had 80 printed on this not the 30 number the replacement relay arrived what I was told was correct with no 167 on it , I can assume the relay is working as when you turn ignition key the relay makes a click and you get the same type of click when you turn the engine over by hand and if you touch the pump you can feel a certain click but no sort of buzzing or priming of the pump ,
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

porker buzz wrote:
the beetle is still original left hand drive even though I am in the uk I originally changed fuel pump relay but this had 80 printed on this not the 30 number the replacement relay arrived what I was told was correct with no 167 on it , I can assume the relay is working as when you turn ignition key the relay makes a click and you get the same type of click when you turn the engine over by hand and if you touch the pump you can feel a certain click but no sort of buzzing or priming of the pump ,

Relay 167 and Relay 80 are both fuel pump relays, but I don't know if they are interchangeable (on the Mexi-Beetles). It's possible, as they both have the same 'root' Part Number, Relay 80 PN = 191906383, Relay 167 PN = 191906383C.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
porker buzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

think I am just going to have to pay out for a new fuel pump just hope this is the problem as not cheap
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

After my 1600i stood still for almost half a year, the fuel pump didn't work either.

But it started working again after I hooked up a wire directly to the pump and I intermittently put 12 volt to it. At first it didn't do anything, then it started working shortly, and after a while it started to work longer and at last it worked normally. And now it's working without problems .
It was like it needed some "waking up".

After it started working again, I removed the temporary wire and plugged in the normal plug. And it's been working fine after that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 192

Jump to: