Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

This afternoon, my wife lost a rim on highway 17 with my son in the back seat. She got it over to the side, but it was squirrely and both of them were pretty shook up. The lug bolts backed out. When I got there, I checked the other 3 and the two fronts were tight, but the other back was also loose.

Right before I drove the car up from So Cal to Nor Cal, I had the rims stripped and powder coated. New tires, then installed them myself and torqued them to 80 ft lbs. Not sure what the spec is but that should have been tight, since I've been doing it for decades.

I am not sure if the powder is a factor? Also, the fronts are disk, back are drum. Brakes were not dragging, and the car had no other issues. I mounted the spare and drove it home.

Any thoughts? I thought I remember a debate here about reaming the powder away from the bolt seats?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

That was what i was about to suggest, i would for sure remove any powdercoating on the ball seat for the lugs/nuts on the rims, if that stuff breaks loose from the metal on the rim, you would have a loose nut
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

Did a quick search on the net and this topic comes up quite a bit, so I am guessing there is some concern.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

Oooo Shocked , highway 17. I'd be shook up too!

I've been thinking about having my wheels powder coated. Maybe I'll insist they don't paint the lug holes.

H2OSB
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

Very common for this to happen if you don't remove the powder coat from where the lugs sit on the rims. I had some lugs loosen on freshly painted rims as well. When I checked the lug torque, they had loosened. I unscrewed one of the looser lugs and found a thick layer of paint on the lug face.

I removed all 4 rims and removed the paint from the seat on the rims where the lugs tighten up. They never loosened again.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

OK, thanks guys. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

This didn't happen for the first 50 years of the car's life, then within a thousand miles of powder coating. That's definitive enough for me I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

Yes. For sure caused by the powdercoat. Sounds like you guys got lucky. Powdercoating is very thick and chips away easily with torque applied, leaving a gap. I nearly lost a wheel on my '57 after 200 miles of desert driving with powdercoated wheels. I got lucky. My buddy rolled his 23 window after a few thousand miles as well. Not so lucky. I'm sure a google search would yield all kinds of horror stories.

Cdennisg shared this genius idea

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modified lug bolt for paint/powder coat removal

I used a cold chisel to plow a few grooves in a lug bolt. a quick spin with a drill and socket and the freshly coated lug bolt holes are shiny and free of paint, awaiting fresh contact with a lug bolt seating surface.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

Lug bolt ^^ is a genius reactive method.

A good proactive method is to have the powdercoater wipe the lug holes prior to baking.

The powder wipes off like dust on a waxed coffee table.
It's how they do powdered Harley cylinders (with exposed fin edges).

Polish... powder... wipe... bake...

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

I'd never had a problem with powder coated wheels before, so I was a bit skeptical in the past.

Then more recently, when I had my Bay wheels powdered in a 2-part coat (clear coat over chrome silver), I torqued them on, but didn't drive. Then I broke torque and removed the rims to do some other stuff...low-and-behold, the powder coating on the lug seats was falling off in little ring-shaped layers, having yielded and delaminated under the pressure of the lugs being torqued on it.

Now I'm convinced that it ALL needs to come off the seats (or never be applied like the pre-wiping suggestion above).
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

I do all my own powder coating and I've never had anything come loose after years of driving
Most of mine are mutiple coats.

the white wheel is, white base, clear with ice pearl, and then clear on top

the phone dials are almost chrome with a clear topcoat

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

Well, I joined the club today. I just brought my 1969 Beetle out of hibernation last week after doing a lot of work on it. During the winter, I had all 5 of my stock wheels sandblasted, straightened, and powder coated, new rubber on each wheel. I torqued each lug nut to 95 ft/lbs. I was just enjoying driving it around, and tweaking the timing and carb tuning. A few days ago, I took it up a winding mountain road near my place and had a lot of fun coming down(maybe speeding a little) testing out the little bug in the corners. The next morning I was taking the dog for a swim, and there was an awful grinding noise coming from the rear. I managed to get the bug to the garage that I rent about 2 blocks away. I was bummed - thinking I had a brake job or worse to look forward to, and getting parts here takes at least a week.
Today, I decided that I better find out what the problem is, so I can get parts ordered. As soon as I jacked up the car, the problem was obvious - all four lug nuts on that wheel were loose, but it looked like I caught it soon enough to avoid any damage. I checked all of the other wheels, and they were fine. Looks like I will be reaming all of the lug holes this weekend. Campingbox's chisled lug nut reamer looks like a great idea, but I don't have a spare lug. I'll hit the hardware store in the morning and see what I can come up with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

ive never had a problem with 4 lug wheels powder coated coming loose.
BUT powder coated 5 lug wheels come loose. i lost a couple before. always the left rear wheel. ive even changed the drum and lugs and gone as far as having the drum modified with press in studs. i always torque my wheels with a torque wrench.
i would scrape the powder off of the lug holes, torque the wheels, drive 20 miles, torque again, and then retorque again after another 20 miles. you will find that they retorque the 2nd time and a few of them will still retorque again the 3rd time.

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

john7, it was the left rear wheel that worked itself loose.
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

better get some left hand threaded studs installed, lol
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I do all my own powder coating and I've never had anything come loose after years of driving

Hi "W1K1" I saw your recent post on the
2054 Build for the Fastback
and was looking at your photos of the Dellortos with the 30/34 Venturis "Sexy" , when I noticed the PhoneDials above. I have a set I can run on my bug but they need refurbishing, How are they prepared for the Powder Coat?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a set I can run on my bug but they need refurbishing, How are they prepared for the Powder Coat?

I normally blast them clean so they have a good tooth for the powder to stick to.
They should be pre heated to leach out any oil out of the pores, I had one wheel that solvent popped the powder after the clear was added 3 times Brick wall even after pre heating.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Kento-Moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

Looks very nice W1K1, I have a question though ... how do you mount the tires without damaging the painted finish? My local Americas tire says they cant guaranty they wont chip or scuff the paint when installing. Powder coat finish they say shouldnt be a problem but painted is. ...?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks very nice W1K1, I have a question though ... how do you mount the tires without damaging the painted finish? My local Americas tire says they cant guaranty they wont chip or scuff the paint when installing. Powder coat finish they say shouldnt be a problem but painted is. ...?

I've had my tires mounted at Costco for all my cars, I've never had a problem or damage. They are usually happy to get something "different" to work on Wink

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Adam47374
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost a wheel today. related to powder coat? Reply with quote

Kento-Moto wrote:

I found a shop that uses a newer style machine, then got them to put shop rags over the parts that hold the wheel, you don't need much grab to get the tire on, It's getting an old tire off that you need the extra grab. If you toss the installer a $20 before starting the work, that might also help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: