Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out the best way to adhere flexible Reflectix window covers--for both winter and summer use. I'm interested in rare earth magnets, but am concerned that the magnets, if attached to the flexy foam-filled (but thin) plastic shade, would un-glue from it as a result of pulling it away from the window frame or from stashing it near other sheets of it with their own magnets. Also, if the magnet is on the side of the plastic toward the interior, will it be strong enough to hold at the distance created by the thickness of the Reflectix-- especially on those portions of the window frame that are covered with fabric. SO: if you have made up a set for summer cooling or for sleeping warmth, what did you learn that I should know before I start? Including how much larger than the glass openings do I cut the Reflectix sheets? Thanks
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

I cut Reflectix to be the same size as the glass. I then used 6-7" lengths of good duct tape (Gorilla tape is the bees knees), placed a magnet just off from the centre, then attached the duct tape to the Reflectix such that there was a 1" gap between the magnet and the Reflectix. This gives enough room for the magnet to attach decently to the metal window surrounds while allowing the Reflectix to remain very close to the glass.

I use the Reflectix inside to keep warm in cold weather, and outside to stay cool in hot weather.

No photos right now, sorry!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

I used suction cups from Home Depot where I also got the reflective insulation. They have a slot/head on the back and I put a little slit where I want it mounted, then some spit to push the heads through and they are held by the slot. In more than 5 years I've not lost a suction cup.

What I also learned is for the sliders, don't push the suction cup to the corner of the piece, but pull it horizontally back a couple inches so you can slide the window open for night ventilation and still attach the window cover. Also for storage you can roll them up as we do most of the time, or lay them flat under your bedding during the day.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

I like Idahodoug's idea.

When fitting to correct size, measure and cut on the outside of the window. Fits inside easily, but much less of a hassle. Learned this watching tint being installed.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

Agree cutting from outside pattern. Then a bit of trimming. Once you have a nice shape for the left side, simply flip and duplicated it for the right side windows. Also, put a label on each one in the same orientation so at night its fast and easy to pick out which goes where. I keep a couple spare suction cups in the van. Some of them proved defective and flattened - losing their suction shape over time.

Do a good job with fit and on a sunny day you can turn the interior black as a dark cave for a nice nap with the hum of a fan....

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

Thanks- but a few questions: Do you cut the Reflectix exactly to fit inside the window-frame rubber? Don't the suction cups push the foil away from the window, leaving a gap? What size suction cups do you get at Home Depot.-- or do they sell only one type/size? And: I assume you buy the 24 inch Reflectix and cut it down, as the 16" doesn't quite make it?
Anyone done both the suction cups and the rare-earth magnets at different times and has any strong opinions?
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

i used small Neodymium Magnets and attached them to the foil backed bubble reflective insulation via a sewed on cloth with magnet inside. this protected the paint from the magnet scratches and allowed quick installation and removal. i used 4 magnets per window. this allowed them to be installed between the window and the curtains. never thought about using suction cups but that is also a good idea.
1990 vw automatic camper
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

Pine,

I'm not sure what the width was, but the windshield will be the largest as it is also going to be a curved piece if I remember - so measure wisely a 24 does not sound wide enough.

So the windows have a rubber seal around them that the foil presses against. I made my dimensions such that they fit tightly in the interior body cutout (which you'll note is an inch or two larger than the glass with radiused corners) for the windows. Then in place, the material is drawn tight against the black rubber window seals, which stand proud of the glass by perhaps an eighth inch or so. The suction cups are available in two sizes at HD, and I used a mix of both simply because that day I bought every single small one and then needed a few larger ones. I've made about 4 sets of these for various vehicles - probably distorted HD's sales of them all by myself. Somewhere at HD corporate is a team of MBA's trying to figure why the Coeur d'Alene Home Depot's suction cup sales are 5X all others in the region....

It's easier than it sounds to tell about. I used a sharpie to draw lines while pressing the material against the outside of the vehicle, knowing I was an inch or two LARGER than the final shape would be. Then I went inside, and repeatedly trial fit and trimmed until I'd shrunk it to the size it will nearly stand itself in place as its light and well fitted. That took about 10 minutes. The next one will go faster and you'll be better at the fitting. After they're all cut out, hold them up inside the van and put dots where the suction cup slit will be. Getting the suction cups through the slits is the only sucky part of this job (aha - you knew a pun was coming, right??). Make the slit smaller than the little nub you have to push through, so it grips the material well. Make it too big and its easy to get the suction cup in, but it will fall right back out. So if you're doing it right, you will spit on your pinkie, swirl it around the slit and push through it a bit, then try shoving the little nub through. This part did suck - do it while watching TV or something. My pinkie was sore when I got done but they're all a nice tight fit. The inner layer of plastic is a stretchy film that does not tear easily and that's what provides the mechanical connection to the suction cups.

On the windshield, make a slit for the mirror and put a suction cup on each side of the slit.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

Howdy,

It is worth noting that radiant barriers (such as Reflectix) must have an air gap in front of their foil faces in order to effectively reflect radiant heat.

Window shades made with Reflectix work in several ways: high radiant heat reflectivity, low radiant heat emissivity, and shading/blockage of light energy.

If you mount the panels inside and place the Reflectix hard up against the glass you are defeating the external radiant barrier effect, but still have a low emissivity and shading effect. To effectively reflect heat you must have a little air gap, so it pays to not have the Reflectix tightly pressed against the glass.

The same principle goes for low emissivity: you must have an air gap to take advantage of low emissivity. If your Reflectix panels are mounted outside and are hard on the glass without an air gap, all heating of those pads will transfer to the glass and the low emissivity benefit is lost. Yes, you will still benefit from shading and reflection on the outward facing surface.

In a nutshell, don't try too hard to mount the panels hard to the glass--air gaps are a good thing.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Howdy,

It is worth noting that radiant barriers (such as Reflectix) must have an air gap in front of their foil faces in order to effectively reflect radiant heat.

Window shades made with Reflectix work in several ways: high radiant heat reflectivity, low radiant heat emissivity, and shading/blockage of light energy.

If you mount the panels inside and place the Reflectix hard up against the glass you are defeating the external radiant barrier effect, but still have a low emissivity and shading effect. To effectively reflect heat you must have a little air gap, so it pays to not have the Reflectix tightly pressed against the glass.

The same principle goes for low emissivity: you must have an air gap to take advantage of low emissivity. If your Reflectix panels are mounted outside and are hard on the glass without an air gap, all heating of those pads will transfer to the glass and the low emissivity benefit is lost. Yes, you will still benefit from shading and reflection on the outward facing surface.

In a nutshell, don't try too hard to mount the panels hard to the glass--air gaps are a good thing.

kourt

What he said is right for Reflectix.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

Just a tip,
Bus depot sells a window insulation kit for about $100 (it goes on sale pretty often) that is way nicer than anything your gonna be able to make out of reflectix. http://www.busdepot.com/j12747
It also comes with suction cups that mount them to the window. Ive had it for over a year and its been great. The insulation material is much thicker and more durable that refectix
For the money, you will probably spend close to $100 making your own out of reflectix.

Bus depot has also recently started making a poptop insulation kit http://www.busdepot.com/j40900

I made my own reflectix panels for my pop-top canvas using this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463901
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like advice on how to mount homemade Reflectix window covers Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I used suction cups from Home Depot where I also got the reflective insulation. They have a slot/head on the back and I put a little slit where I want it mounted, then some spit to push the heads through and they are held by the slot. In more than 5 years I've not lost a suction cup..

I'm still not sure on your details. Yes, I did hit on the links, but a couple (maybe even 3) pics would give me the full concept. Can you shoot a close-up of the back side where the suction cup goes through, and one or two of the screens mounted as in normal use to clarify? Thanks -Chris/ pinetree...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: