Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for heat tubes under bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

Anyone know of source for replacement heat tubes under the bus? I believe there are two different diameters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance!
(sold - but not forgotten)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

For the flex pipe consider two layers of silicone duct from Aircraft Spruce. Also consider installing a Dayco centrifugal fan under the floor beneath the defroster tree, might as well double defrost air flow while you are at it.

My center pipe is piece of split stove pipe that I custom fitted, it is wrapped with a layer of stick-on foam insulation and then covered with a protective layer of PVC pipe. It is about a dozen years old at this point in time with no signs of deterioration.

With all my mods put together, I think I have 3-4 times the stock amount of heat coming into the cab, both greatly enhanced flow and much higher temps. The entire interior is quite pleasant on long highway drives at 10°F. See the Blumaxx thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371749

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

Hopefully you have not tossed your old ones. The smaller ones are not available new. But there is a company that makes different diameter ducting that looks very close. It's in Europe and I can't remember it but I will do some searching. I think it was a Unimog supplier. The large one in the rear is available from just campers and maybe Bus Depot since he carries a bunch of their products. The previous company also carries the largd tube. I am "sleeping" all of mine with silicone duct like Wildthings mentioned for ease of cleaning and cleaner air. Hope this helps.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

If you're not worried about stock and just looking for a functional replacement this is what I did:

This is 3" diameter stainless steel chimney liner, welded seam. It's air tight and wrapped with a 1/4" thick aluminum backed insulation. I have an inline booster fan as described above - highly recommended.

My bus was missing most everything when I got it, so I refurbished the BA6 and rigged it up to run stand-alone. This was what I used for ducting for the project.

You can should be able to find it on the web, but if you get stuck and need some PM me and I can have some sent.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

As mentioned above, Just Kampers carries a lot of it.

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-bus-parts-1968-1979/t2-bay-exhaust-parts/heater-tubes-ducting.html

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

I believe Alan Schofields carries the tubes in both early and late sizes. That said, many places carry tubing and hoses. Insulating them is a very good idea, along with a booster fan, as the original squirrell fan is really not very strong.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Wanted to share my new heat tube version I did this week. The old diverter was completely gone, and the whole system was poorly rigged (incompletley at that too) from the P.O.

Cut out a like new diverter piece from a parts bus, and finally got around to crafting it all up.

from the Hardware store I used

Two 3"to 4" aluminum connectors
3" Piece of aluminum ducting, Came as a 5' section
4" flexible dryer tubing
3" flexible dryer tubing
Aluminum tape
Roll of Reflectix

First I only wanted to do this once (in theory) so I made sure to POR15 the underside of the floor and frame above where the tube will be

Then I welded the diverter back into position. The dryer tubing hanging down is the 3" tubing up over the beam to the heater tree in the cabin, partly wrapped in reflectix. The aluminum tape on the intake side of the diverter is to widen the opening as that will receive the 4" end of one of the connectors

With the original fiberglass diaper back in place. Taped and sealed

Now the 3" aluminum tube, cut in the middle to allow it to be snug in both ends

Started wrapping Reflectix in sections over the aluminum pipe

Off the the rear Y pipe I inserted the 3" end of the other connector into it. Once again with Speed tape on the outside diameter of 3" side of the connector to seal and snug it, then forced the other half of the 3" aluminum pipe into the 4" section

I was able to cut it so it was very snug in the gap. This I only used speed tape to seal the sections

On the rear part, the Reflectix slides snugly into the gap of the 4" connector around the 3" pipe. I didnt get a picture of it, but before I put on the other half of the pipe i slid the 4" dryer flex tube over the reflectix as additional insulation and protection. And all sealed up.

I still have some more reflectix to add the front hose, and I have to install and cover the other outlets in the diverter, but I can report the heat is very nice and pretty strong. Elsewhere in the system its sealed , but not perfect off the heater boxes and flappers. I had nothing to compare it to prior (in any bus), but it blows out of the defrost vent very well. I know some have said to delete the diverter junction all together, but it was such a perfect part and I was able to get the forward floor vent tube and a non broken cable for it. Still have to make something or use SCAT tubing for the vent under the rear bed

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

Here's another approach:

1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Here's another approach:

I like the looks of that. Got any details?
(sold - but not forgotten)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for heat tubes under bus Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Here's another approach:

I like the looks of that. Got any details?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8187361&highlight=#8187361
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: