Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle shaft leak!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

Update... I measured my push rod as suggested. It's 108mm. It sticks up about 7mm from the bakelite on the down stroke, and maxes out at about 12mm on the high, for a total 5mm stroke. All in order with the Bentley and the type of pump I had... being the kind where the 'rocker' in the pump is recessed several mm - it doesn't protrude from the bottom of the pump, like the shorter pumps.

So, that pump seemed too high of psi (5). Thus, I bought another/new non-rebuildable pump and new needle valve from Norm at Mesa West, very close to me/convenient. Also, fully cleaned the carb... a second time (bus has new gas tank, new fuel line, etc).

Installed the new pump/reassembled carb... and basically no leak... just a tiny, barely detectable wet shine between the throttle shaft nut and the linkage on both sides of carb after hot shut-down. Acceptable to me as it's not like that after every shut-down. I haven't checked the pressure on the new pump yet.

BUT, per prior post, when first starting to research the throttle shaft leak, I did a fuel pressure test. Prior to that test the bus had been idling flawlessly. After the test it wouldn't idle to save my life!

I'll need to jump to a different thread, as it still doesn't want to idle consistently well... I'm now seeing condensation on the carb throat above the heat riser... and the throat feels cold after running it a while around town (tricky with inconsistent idle). I didn't think the heat riser would matter in So Cal (70+ degrees today), but I've read those are symptoms of the heat tube being plugged (fuel not atomizing).

One issue leads to another... but I'm learning a lot about me ol' bus!!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
Installed the new pump/reassembled carb... and basically no leak... just a tiny, barely detectable wet shine between the throttle shaft nut and the linkage on both sides of carb after hot shut-down. Acceptable to me

Hoo Ray! When you restart after going into the grocery store does it light right up on the first crank or do you have to crank it a bunch? It should fire right off.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
I'm now seeing condensation on the carb throat above the heat riser... and the throat feels cold after running it a while around town (tricky with inconsistent idle). I didn't think the heat riser would matter in So Cal (70+ degrees today), but I've read those are symptoms of the heat tube being plugged (fuel not atomizing).

That's exactly what mine was doing until I cleared the heat riser tube. Don't forget the warm air intake tin/pipe assembly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

Yes, very glad about stopping the drips. Many thanks to all for your kind help!

Mixed results on idling though. Will check a few things after work and jump over to this thread later with more info:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660896

A very timely fluke that idling took a dive whilst fixing the shaft leak. Heat riser/cold carb base investigation is next in line...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: