Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP!!!! WONT START
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefootjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

1977 vw baywindow..

I replaced started, fuel pump, fuel lines, spark plugs and wires,

have ordered and will replace soon the ignition coil, fuel regulator

Just wont start. The engine tries to start up but it makes the sound you hear when you run out of gas and cant get it to start back up.

What do I try next???
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

H was it running before you did all That?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

Awwwwww man, shotgunning it with parts just make diagnosis harder Crying or Very sad

Got a fuel pressure gauge and know how to use it?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
barefootjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

no, it didn't have a gas tank and old fuel lines and starter. But it ran (what i was told) before starter went bad. I haven't done anything major except replace missing parts and fuel lines that were original.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

If it has been sitting for a long time I would add some FI cleaner to the tank no matter what.

Are you sure your fuel pump is running?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

Triple check that your spark plug wires are on right.
Finding TDC #1/ Installing Drive Gear and Dist.

Cranks Won't Start Test

Good luck
Tcash
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

Ok, I will ask. Is this bus Still Fuel injected? How much gas did you put in?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

and I hope you changed the oil if it has been sitting for a long time. Won't affect whether it starts the first time but if the oil has water etc in it you may kill the engine running it on 10 year old oil full of crap.

Oh - and don't over tighten that one nut - 9 ft lbs only. Maybe someone will post the welcome picture showing which one under the engine you don't tighten too much.
barefootjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

it wasn't sitting for years as far as I know. I did change the oil by the way. I only put in 2 gallons of gas because I didn't want to put in to much in case there was a leak or a reason I had to remove it.

I am not sure the fuel pump is running. Its new and hooked up correctly. I don't hear anything, should I be?

Just like the fuel pump I am new to all of this so please have some patients with me. Im young and just tying to learn as I go and keep this vw bus alive.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

With the key turned to the run position do you hear a click and the fuel pump hum/whir/hiss when you depress the flap in the AFM through the rectangular hole under the airfilter element?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

As you turn the ignition on you should hear the double relay (DR) click, this is the fuel injection relay half of the DR. Now if you use a pencil to open the door in the AFM you should also hear the DR click, this click will be the fuel pump relay half of the DR. You should also be able to hear the fuel pump running at this point if there isn't a lot of other noise in the area. Remove the green wire from the coil if you are going to be leaving the ignition on for more than a few minutes without the engine running other wise you may damage the ignition coil or your contact points.

To access the door in the AFM open the air cleaner and remove the element, you can now use a pencil or wooden dowel to push the door in the AFM open.

There is a test port on the left fuel rail that can be used to test the fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure could be either the pump not delivering fuel or the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) not holding the correct backpressure.
barefootjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

Okay, I am not hearing a click from the relay and not hearing any noise from the pump. Do I still go forward with opening the door in the AFM?

Thank you for all the help
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

Try it, poke the door with a chopstick and listen carefully for clicks or hums, if not we'll have to move onwards to DR diagnosis.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

since you changed oil FANTASTIC! Good job. Do read up on that nut you cannot tighten or destroy the engine.

Folks here will be patient with you and you'll get the bus running. You are in good hands. Mark and Mike are both good guys. Praise the Lord we have them here. Just remember - it is a 40 year old car, be gentle with it and don't get frustrated. Rome wasn't built in a day nor was a VW bus restored instantly. 364 to retirement and counting.
barefootjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! WONT START Reply with quote

THANK YOU!!!! I am taking it slow. I am in no hurry and want to learn as much as possible about this vehicle. So all information is greatly appreciated.

I really love these vehicles and want to do it right and keep it alive so others can see how great they really are.

Once again thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: