Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L gas, manual trans. PROJECT.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: 1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L gas, manual trans. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Hi i jut bought the vanagon from Texas and transport it to NY. Today i have started what probably will be a long project of putting her back on the road.

According to the owner , vehicle hasn't been run for a while, 3 maybe more, i am not sure.

I replaced the battery today. Wiring seems ok, lights , heather, brake buzzer etc came on so not a bad start.

i am power washing her to make it more appeal to the household. They are on a family visit returning tuesday. After that, i will follow the procedure of starting a vehicle after long term hibernation.

-i will remove the spark plugs and squirt some fogging oil for each. Should i replace the plugs as well?
- The tank will be drained and filled with fresh gasoline.
- i may change the oil and some other fluids.
-i may try to turn the engine using a socket wrench at the pulley.

i can't think of anything else on this stage
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

84's respond well when you love them. You could also put a tablespoonful of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder before you crank the engine to re-set the rings. You can follow my posts, or look through them, for a story beginning with my own purchase and restoration of a 1984 Manual.

What a wonderful ride it's been! And become.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Congrats Westina, glad to see you made it!

Looking forward to the updates. Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness Cool fire extinguishers /fuel lines /filters Arrow fresh gas / oil / new battery should be 1st on the list try to start her, then Question tune -up/ tires Arrow then the list will grow and grow ,and when you think your good other things will need to be addressed, don't be discouraged, westy ownership is an adventure/lifestyle / learning curve , you also have the Samba, side note find a bentley repair manual Haynes is also good , good luck
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Disconnect the fuel pump relay or pull the fuse for the pump so that you can crank the engine to get the oil pressure built up 1st.

Or you could disconnect the electrical plug from the injectors so they do not open and spray fuel. These plugs have the wire going across the top of them, you squeeze down on the wire and it releases the locking feature to remove them.
Fuel spraying from the injectors dilutes the oil on the cylinder walls so there is a bit of lubrication on them.(as per your fogging oil will help.)
Maybe you want to change the oil too before doing that.

The fuel pump relay is located in the black box mounted above the ignition coil in the engine compartment.

The P.O. did not say why it wasn't running did he?

When you drain the tank it would be a good time to replace the fuel lines.
Check Van-Cafe.com, GoWesty.com or Busdepot.com for prices.
Bus Depot is closest to you, but their website is a bit of a challenge for some to use. Buying from the West Coast sees the boxes fairly quickly considering there on the west coast.

Good info here for you:
http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm
http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Any sign of bugs inside? If so you may want to put a Raid Fumigator that just releases a smoke instead of having to wipe off an aerosol layer on the surfaces.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

westina wrote:

The one consolation of breaking down in Texas... Lone Star beer!
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Disconnect the fuel pump relay or pull the fuse for the pump so that you can crank the engine to get the oil pressure built up 1st.

Or you could disconnect the electrical plug from the injectors so they do not open and spray fuel. These plugs have the wire going across the top of them, you squeeze down on the wire and it releases the locking feature to remove them.
Fuel spraying from the injectors dilutes the oil on the cylinder walls so there is a bit of lubrication on them.(as per your fogging oil will help.)
Maybe you want to change the oil too before doing that.

The fuel pump relay is located in the black box mounted above the ignition coil in the engine compartment.

The P.O. did not say why it wasn't running did he?

When you drain the tank it would be a good time to replace the fuel lines.
Check Van-Cafe.com, GoWesty.com or Busdepot.com for prices.
Bus Depot is closest to you, but their website is a bit of a challenge for some to use. Buying from the West Coast sees the boxes fairly quickly considering there on the west coast.

Good info here for you:
http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm
http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm

Thank you PO stated that he tried to start it and smelled gas..he stopped. not wanting to mess up nything,
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Any sign of bugs inside? If so you may want to put a Raid Fumigator that just releases a smoke instead of having to wipe off an aerosol layer on the surfaces.

Yes i have seen some. Also there is a funny smell and mice droppings at the bottom cabinet. I am airing the van out and cleaning.
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
The one consolation of breaking down in Texas... Lone Star beer!

The beer was really good.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Enjoy the journey!

It was three years from the day I towed my 86 home until I drove it!

Mice are a very real concern.
Look in the FAQ's at the top of the Vanagon home page, scroll dien to body abd you'll find links detailing every opening a mouse can utilize to enter your van.

Totally cleaning up their nasty mess is what motivated me to completely gut my Van and reassemble it!
The area of most concern to me was the mouse debris in the heater air box, being bathed with mouse crap for every mile I drove had ZERO appeal!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Enjoy the journey!

It was three years from the day I towed my 86 home until I drove it!

Mice are a very real concern.
Look in the FAQ's at the top of the Vanagon home page, scroll dien to body abd you'll find links detailing every opening a mouse can utilize to enter your van.

Totally cleaning up their nasty mess is what motivated me to completely gut my Van and reassemble it!
The area of most concern to me was the mouse debris in the heater air box, being bathed with mouse crap for every mile I drove had ZERO appeal!

Dave

Only droppings i have noticed was in the cabinet but i am familiar with the smell. I had a suzuki samurai before and have the same smell. Try turning on the heat and you would almost puke. They filled all the duct work with their crap shredded pieces of nuts, papers, synthetic materials....Had to remove the dashboard and clean the ducts. Is heater air box located around the dashboard?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

westina wrote:
Is heater air box located around the dashboard?

It is behind the dash. Here's a great tutorial:

http://www.benplace.com/dash.htm

Congrats on the new project!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

and I like to put a piece of hardware cloth between the airbox and the intake and interior tube to prevent mice from ever returning in there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

Hi. I have started today, not a bad start so far.

First problem was clutch not being pressurized. i noticed a pinhole on the line. So here comes the first question.

its a loong piece starting with a coupler on the driver side near the spare tire. Should i replace the whole thing or is there a way to use some sort of sleeve at the pinhole to stop the leak? the line goes all the way to the transmission.

i pulled the injectors, i am leaning towards putting it back as it is for now and replace later if engine starts. no major problem....

spark plugs looks ok but i think i should just put new ones since they are cheap.

the line is on the last pic on the top sect.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon westfalia 1.9L gas, manual transm. PROJECT. Reply with quote

the hydraulic clutch is fairly low(ish) pressures. so if you can happily splice the hose go for it. maybe if a barb splice is tight a little heat to get it into the plastic.. and some good clamps..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L gas, manual trans. PROJECT. Reply with quote

removed tank, filters, fuel lines, fuel rail, spark plugs, injectors. The fuel was exremely stale. The tank also has gunk at his bottom which i couldn't brake it loose. I plan to put back things together and see if it will start. new oil&filter as well.
Plus side. I found working on the van very easy. Nice lay out of the components. Hats off to the german engineering i was surprised the air filter housing just pops off and removing the small bolt you just pull out the injectors and such.
The gas was stale so bad
do i need a radiator?
I wonder if its normal to have a tank bottom that dirty or is it just mine. I may replace the whole tank if its going to be an issue.
[/img]

[img]

[/img]

Last edited by westina on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L gas, manual trans. PROJECT. Reply with quote

replace the tank it's far cheaper than the head ache..

there's a thread with pics in here someplace, someone cut open a tank and there's a fine mesh screen in the bottom pick up area..
with that tar, it's surely not flowing like it should.
also don't buy the cheapest tank, spend the extra $20 for a tank from a vanagon vendor. don't ask me how I know.. Rolling Eyes

here is one thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606102

westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L gas, manual trans. PROJECT. Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/DTZlq0RDXcs

Link

Hi. I have ordered a new tank , it should arrive soon. While wating, ran the fuel line to a gas container and fire it up. It hesitates but i am hopefull that it would start. First attempts, there was a lot of clunking noise from the engine. Reminding you the van was sitting for some time, i am not sure how long but looking at the condition of the fuel....
Anyway it turns a bit smoother now. Since i see it turns and somehow alive, i focus on small tune up job. Ordered set of fuel injectors, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter etc.
Is it possible to determine by looking at the picture of the radiator if it must be replaced? It wasn't visibly leaking but looking at the rust and damaged fins, maybe its time to replace? Or wait and start the engine first and do the radiator after. [/youtube]
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L gas, manual trans. PROJECT. Reply with quote

I am cleaning the interior with a new owner enthusiasm and it turns out awesome. Very complete and clean. I have replaced injectors etc. it is trying to start but the fuel pump died. Parts are not very accessible and it is holding me back, now i have to wait for fuel pump to arrive. Got bosch.
I am replacing the fuel lines as well , i have checked the autozone lines, they are rated for fuel injected vehicles.
[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

ohh i also realized i have a leak at one of the push rod tube. Bought a collapsible one will see how is that gonna go. New fuel tank arriving today.
I have posted a pic of my radiator here, what do you guys think? it will need to be replaced i am afraid right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: