Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poptop tent install in L.A. area for 1984 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
korkwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Poptop tent install in L.A. area for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

I found out the tent on my "project" Westy is rotten at the fold near rooftop and needs to be replaced. Although i have done it before would rather have competent shop do it as i have no time or desire to do it myself now. So i will get one from GW but need to find a shop around Los Angeles to install it.

Anyone had this job done in or near LA? Please let me know, i am planning to have body work and painting done soon.

TIA
Leon
korkwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

Unfortunately GW is sold out on tan tents but BD has them
they have 2 diffetent tents, one is very cheap, probably one i tried to install myself few years ago but just couldn't stretch it to fit and gave up, the other German made for $399. Don't know much about it.
Would like to hear comments about those tents.
TIA
Leon
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

$400 is the going rate for a decent one

more options here: http://www.van-cafe.com/poptop-canvas-c1271
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

korkwood wrote:
...Anyone had this job done in or near LA? Please let me know, i am planning to have body work and painting done soon...

If I was planning on getting the van painted - I would wait until after that to replace the tent.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

I have a Busdepot OEM canvas tent I bought in 2011. Mine is tan. It is very tight. I mean drum tight. To fully raise it I have to push on the bar on one side until it locks in and then the other side. Yes I have the Jack Bombay poptop shocks. Those are great. It is when I get to the top to lock it in place that it is hard. I have talked to BusDepot and they said it was supposed to be tight. I was afraid it would rip but so far it hasn't.

Does your Westy poptop use screws or staples. Mine is a Wolfsburg and uses screws. Make sure you order the correct canvas based on either staples or screws.

North Westy also sells an nice poptop canvas made out of Sunbrella and acrylic. Won't mold or rot. It costs $599.00. BusDepot's costs $399. I wouldn't put on a cheap one. These are a pain in the ass to install. Rolling Eyes You only want to do it once. North Westy also install them.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

I think Leon is asking for a referral to a shop in LA that has experience doing the install, not where to buy the canvas...
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
I think Leon is asking for a referral to a shop in LA that has experience doing the install, not where to buy the canvas...

I believe his second post said GW was out of the tan and wanted comments about the BusDepot Tent. yes he was also asking about who could install it. Probably and automotive headliner/upholstery shop could do it but he would have to ask them.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

Oops! You are correct Westified... Sorry.

Leon I've installed both the Bus Depot and the OEM version Bus Depot sells. Their house brand is a great deal but was a tighter fit and more difficult to install. The OEM version had more slack in it so the install was slightly easier. But I installed the OEM version after I installed the Bus Depot brand on a previous camper and the experience may have lead to a smoother install process doing the OEM tent.
If I had to do it again myself, I'd probably save the money and go with the Bus Depot brand. Material and quality were very close with both versions.

If I was paying a shop to do it, I'd let them purchase either one and expect them to stand behind their install efforts. I wouldn't want them to come back and with any excuse like "you should have bought the other version and our install would have came out cleaner."
korkwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

Well well
Thanks for all replies. I called BD and spoke to Fred, asked him about their tents
My budget is tight and i asked about their brand tent. It turns out they are not made by Just Kampers animore and now fit(that is what he said, my own experience awaits). I am sure BD was not happy about all returned tents and did something to stop it. Since i already installed tent in the past it will not be as bad as doing it the first time, at least i am familiar with what needs to be done. My poptop has metal strips holding fabric hence it is 85-91 version, may be little easier to deal with.
The hardest part for me is handling the top. Of course i will have Vanagon painted before replacing tent.
Thanks to all!
btw i found a local guy willing to install tent, just don't want to spend $600.
Leon
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

Leon,
If you haven't watched these videos already, check them out. The top doesn't need to come off. I watched both of these videos several times before doing my installs and everything went smoothly with leaving the top on the Vanagon.

No handling of the top involved...

Part #1:
https://vimeo.com/110363454

Part #2:
https://vimeo.com/110653545
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

We replaced our tent without removing the pop-top (screw type, like yours). Took about two hours, after watching the vids and making sure I had all the useful tools to hand. A helper is fairly essential. Wink
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

korkwood wrote:
...My poptop has metal strips holding fabric hence it is 85-91 version...

FWIW - the tent on my 84 (built 5/84) has metal strips and under the metal strips it has staples (into little blocks of wood).

I installed with the top still on the van and thought the task interesting and not especially difficult.
korkwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

Many Thanks to you guys
i got the movie and it will save me the time and effort not to mention motivation for going thru contortions
Leon
korkwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

Here is the end of the story of my tent installation.

The cheap Bus Depot tent was simply crooked. Plastic strip on the bottom was wavy on the sides and could not be pulled to straighten it ending up way too short to attach to metal roof in the back.

This process left a really bad feeling about my wasted time, hard work, money and being treated as if i was the one to blame for not being able to install crooked tent.

This is SECOND TIME i had to deal with crooked tent after assurances that original bad batch tents were no longer sold. It seems it was the same bad tent again.

I ended up buying and installing tent made locally in Long Beach. It was super easy(if you have done it before) to install, well made and looks great after installation. Had to wait little over 2 weeks for tent to be made.
Draw your own conclusions.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

I installed the BD one a couple months ago. I have removed the pop top for both canvas's I have done. It's a good time to pressure wash the inside of it. The BD one was a snug fit, but it came out nice. I started at the front and rear centers of the top and worked to the corners and then the sides. Working with two dental picks to stretch the material as I went. I did the same technique for the attachment of the bottom of the canvas. The rear lower corners tried my patience, but I ended up winning in the end. The canvas could be slightly larger in dimension to ease some of the frustration, but I don't think the final fit would have that "snug" look that I ended up with.

I can not imagine trying to replace a canvas with the top installed. The tight spaces and fighting gravity just don't appeal to me. Hats off to those that replace their canvas with the top installed.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

Odd, I installed the "newer" Bus Depot canvas. (1986)
Knowing that things tend to be snug from reading up on installations, I pulled and stretched as I installed the canvas bottom (the part you say you could not stretch?) and ended up with extra!

I had to go back and release fastening points and let it "shrink" to fit properly.

Your post makes no sense to me for I clearly stretched that area you say couldn't be.

Dave

korkwood wrote:
Here is the end of the story of my tent installation.
The cheap Bus Depot tent was simply crooked. Plastic strip on the bottom was wavy on the sides and could not be pulled to straighten it ending up way too short to attach to metal roof in the back.
This process left a really bad feeling about my wasted time, hard work, money and being treated as if i was the one to blame for not being able to install crooked tent.
This is SECOND TIME i had to deal with crooked tent after assurances that original bad batch tents were no longer sold. It seems it was the same bad tent again.
I ended up buying and installing tent made locally in Long Beach. It was super easy(if you have done it before) to install, well made and looks great after installation. Had to wait little over 2 weeks for tent to be made.
Draw your own conclusions.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

I was advised my post was unclear via PM. To clarify, this was the in house BD one I installed. I purchased it on sale from BD this summer. I compared it to the canvas I removed for size. I also compared the measurements against the documentation that came with the canvas from BD. To find center, I folded the ends in half and marked the center. Working with the top removed I was able to work on my install technique standing on the floor with the top sitting on 2 saw horses. Once the canvas was secured to the top, some friends helped me to set the top back on the van. I used 2 different length supports to hold the top up, but not fully open. I started attaching in the center rear working out 2 screws at a time. I started in the rear, because in FLA it is hot and humid in August. I also don't like working in the cramped space.

Certainly a custom top made locally is a good alternative, but for the money, I am happy with the result of the BD in house canvas. This type of replacement part, would be difficult to sell. Its not like a cast or machined replacement part that is a direct bolt on. Installing a canvas, seat covers, etc is going to take some skills beyond a simple bolt on part.

Disclaimer, I have no affiliation with any of the aftermarket suppliers including BD. Mark
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

I too installed the BD house brand canvas ( bought last year when it was on sale ) a couple of weeks ago. There are no BD in-house check signature on the label, so I assumed it was not checked by them. The measurement of the top is 285" while the tag on the on the plastic beg says should be 275-279. The bottom is 283" ( spec is 279-283 ). I measured the old canvas immediately after it was removed ( before it can shrink ) and the measurement is 289.75 top and 290.2 bottom for the old canvas.

I installed the canvas ( top on ) by putting front top first but decided to put in lower bottom before lower front as there is really not much room there. I did installed the canvas successfully but I found it is too tight from top front to bottom rear although the circumference is not a problem. May be the angle of the canvas is not right at the front? If I have to do it again, I would loosen the hinges and let the top move back a little to aid putting in the bottom rear.

The canvas is really tight ( from top front to bottom rear ) and I have to stand on a stool to push the bar before I can open it.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Tent install for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here are 4. It may not be concours elegant to some. These pictures were taken right after the install.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seems I need to add another disclaimer: My comments are based solely on my experience with the in house canvas I purchased last summer on sale from BD. Your results my differ.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: