Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Albert Klein's record Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Standard Split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamblanda wrote:
I DID visit the pre67 site…

Rattletrap's been rebuilt, recycled and transformed into something totally different from it's original form. What did Levy say? Oh yeah, everything has been replaced expect for the knob on the dash...

No, the dash has been replaced knobs and all, the MAC truck smash twisted it. However, areas of the original body have been retained contrary to the nonsense that some have posted Very Happy

Last edited by Standard Split on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:18 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SuperSamba Premium Member
Samba False Idol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of arguing with no information.

If anyone knows the location of the Beetle mentioned in the first post, PM EverettB and he will unlock it for an update.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Albert Klein's record Beetle Reply with quote

From another thread
tuexss wrote:
Hello forum,

I'm not actually into cars or VW cars, but I saw this old thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417120 and saw a lot of questions. As Albert Klein was in a relationship (though not married) with my great aunt Inge Kuhl and I did some research on my family, I can shed some light on some of the questions.

"Old Faithful" was totaled in an accident on March 29, 1997. (Source: The Guinness book of world records, 1998) During its lifetime the engine was replaced 6 times. He kept a meticulous of all the work he did on the car.

Check out these sources:
http://people.com/archive/the-man-the-myth-the-mil...l-28-no-5/
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-07-15/local/me-2521_1_millionth-mile
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-07-16/features/8702210929_1_fiddle-traffic-tickets-miles

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Albert Klein's record Beetle Reply with quote

It would have been interesting to know what else was replaced on the bug over those 1 million miles. He noted engines, transmissions and tires. What about suspension parts, door hinges, seats, etc..

Too bad his logs weren't scanned and saved that showed his detailed maintenance records. Sad

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Albert Klein's record Beetle Reply with quote

More players in the high mileage game.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/going-the-d...?a=viewall
tuexss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Albert Klein's record Beetle Reply with quote

I checked with my family, and they managed to produce this photo of the burned out car. While it was burning Albert Klein managed to retrieve the log book from the glove compartment.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Albert Klein's record Beetle Reply with quote

I first became aware of this guy while living in Long Beach Ca. Late 70s, a great place to be then. Anyway VWs were a lot more popular just by shear numbers and magazines were more plentiful, so here's where I caught up with him about 1978? If you read into it he gives you valuable tips to increase longevity and some of meticulous records too. Here's Al.

tuexss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Albert Klein's record Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for this great article. This is "Complete Volkswagen Book"? Do you have the issue number/year of publishing? Would be great for my records.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Albert Klein's record Beetle Reply with quote

tuexss wrote:
Thanks for this great article. This is "Complete Volkswagen Book"? Do you have the issue number/year of publishing? Would be great for my records.

Here's the book. It's complete VW book #4 which came out in 1976, wow.
I spiral bound it for easy reading and am showing you the table of contents. Lots of good technical info here. I visited eBay and found about a dozen of these for sale prices all over the map but you usually score for less than 10 bucks. Good luck.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: