Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

From your photo it looks like a huge size difference, is it real or just the picture ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Oops, that was both small ones, is this better?... (Thanks Cider, fixed my previous post)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Taking the original beam off in preparation for my 2" narrowed adjustable one coming next week hopefully... This is going entirely to easy. You'd figure, 40+ years of gunk, grime and rust, this thing would be permanently affixed to the car.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

The steering box has absolutely no play in it. Will go ahead and use it with the new beam after I clean it up.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Hey guys... This doesn't look right. I had my ball joints replaced. The lowers look ok, but the uppers don't look right to me. They are for Ghia 66-77, but aren't seated all the way. The camber adjusters are also loose, as opposed to very tight (almost impossible to remove) from the stock ones. Can someone chime in here?

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Going by the official vw service manual... "Notches in ball joint and torsion arm eye must line up." Mine are all a tad off... Had it done, this is what I get to support my local brick and mortar? Are these going to be ok??

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

By the way, the original camber adjusters fit... Didn't press them in all the way compressing the boot.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

I've been watching your trials and tribulations with a sympathetic eye. There is nothing simple or easy on these cars - except for their general concept. The good news is that the beer tastes all the better after every successful endeavour.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Didn't realize my tribulations required sympathy... Am I not doing well? I've had my griefs, but nothing I couldn't power through.

I am upset that my local wheel/suspension shop was unable to properly install these. This is the perfectionist coming out. I always expect perfection and don't settle for good enough.

I have searched the forums and even Googled images, looks as though I am SOL. Will be stopping by my local VW mechanic to ask for advice. Hope I didn't just ruin $70 worth of ball joints. I'm so pissed!!!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Didn't realize my tribulations required sympathy... Am I not doing well? I've had my griefs, but nothing I couldn't power through.

I am upset that my local wheel/suspension shop was unable to properly install these. This is the perfectionist coming out. I always expect perfection and don't settle for good enough.

I have searched the forums and even Googled images, looks as though I am SOL. Will be stopping by my local VW mechanic to ask for advice. Hope I didn't just ruin $70 worth of ball joints. I'm so pissed!!!

Go back to the shop and demand they make it right, I would.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Going by the official vw service manual... "Notches in ball joint and torsion arm eye must line up."

I was told by the shop that did mine recently that it depends on the style of ball joint. Older style are uni directional ? and thus need to line up. Newer style are idiot proof and rotate 360 degrees so notch does not need to line up.

Smarter ones than me might be able to confirm here.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Control arms properly rebuilt, thanks to Wolfgang Int., they even powder coated them...

Fabshop104 finished my custom 2" narrowed beam and it's on it's way...
Can't wait to her back on all 4's again.

Then it's full steam ahead on the paint prep.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Powder coated and ready for assembly.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Assembled.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Assembled.

I like how they handed the shock towers, looks good.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Thanks. Won't have a problem with the air shocks hitting the upper control arm anymore when it's lowered. Stock beams aren't very air ride friendly.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Still need to install the sway bar, but more or less done with the front suspension...

I can even Jack the wheel higher into the well with plenty of wheel/fender clearance...

Link

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Hoping for some tips here guys. I've decided against air ride and am in the midst of converting back to leaf springs and shocks.

As you know, my beam is custom built. I have reinstalled my stock spindles due to rim/sway bar clearance while turning the wheels.

My issue is, with an adjustable beam, I thought lowered shocks were required for proper suspension travel? Seems as though the car would be required to be SLAMMED for the shocks to work properly. When I installed the driver side lowered shock, I had to force the spindle up for the shock bolt (ball joint) to meet the tower. The shock is topped out, and the control arms are angled up (lowered) too much. The ball joints look to be at an extreme angle.

Here is a picture of the shock unmounted (topped out) from the shock tower with the control arms nearly level... Which is where I would think the shock would be in the mid position... Do I need a stock shock?? Thanks guys.

70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

I'm not sure a stock length shock means anything on a full custom beam. Do you still have the stock beam - if so what's the measurement from the centre of the upper torsion tube to the upper shock mount? Compare.

I can measure it off a beam if you'd like.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... I will measure it and compare. Might have to splurge and get some Fox or Ridetech shocks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: