Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

Hello!

I have holes in the floor of what I think is the heater channel near the back wheels on both sides of my '71 Super Beetle. Here's an example:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1608463.jpg

I'm not ready to replace the channels; I may do so in a few years after I get my Ghia into shape. However, I do want to patch them and do some rust treatement. Since this is a temporary fix, I was going to attempt to treat the inside with some sort of rust encapsulator, and use JB weld steel stick to plug the holes, then treat the whole underside with POR-15 or some such.

I've considered using Eastwood's Internal frame coating to try to treat the insides, but if there is a better way, I would appreciate knowing about it.

P.S. Any ideas on how the holes got there in the first place? The rest of the pan looks pretty good, and I'm wondering if they rusted from the inside out. Why would water collect there?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

Can we get a better picture?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

I'm not sure these pictures are better, but they are closer. I'm not sure what you're looking for:

Driver's side:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger side:

Thanks!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

Buy patch panels & grind them down to perfect fit for butt welds into your solid openings. Make your own patches out of 20-22 gauge steel. Take them to a Muffler Shop etc for professional welding and/or their patch panels? www.masterseriesct.com silver & black brushes on nice & shiny/thick. Wipe on Phosphoric acid rust killer before the Masterseries. https://waxoyl-usa.com/ treatment is the best but Eastmans is cheaper.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

I was looking for pics from farther away to see the whole area, but what Mike said is true.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

That rust started from the inside is my guess. I had the same holes in my 1973 beetle heater channel. Water from condensation over decades.

Hope you don't mind but here is a picture of what mine looked like. I ended up replacing the entire bottom plate.

Thread with more pics.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682811&highlight=

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

I just used two brands of CavityWax and they resemble wax mixed with spray oil.

I was impressed with the end result but it is messy because the spray oil is used to thin out the wax and be the 'carrier' of the wax. Most of the spray oil evaporates and the end result is a tacky wax coating.

I got the KBS brand from Amazon with a decent attachment to stick way in holes for about $25. The KBS brand has a lot of spray oil in it.

The other brand was the Budget brand from the rust store and that was about $10 a can without the attachment( a 2 foot flexible tube with a end on it that sprays from 3 places at 90 degrees.This brand was not as thin and left a thicker wax coating.

The KBS brand probably gets into crevices better but makes a bigger mess because the 'carrier' spray oil pours out of the hole while you are applying it but the Budget brand leaves a thicker wax coating.

Regardless of the brand I'm always going to keep a few cans on hand because besides for being tacky and making a mess while apply, they REALLY seem to have the characteristics of working.
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the input!
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
That rust started from the inside is my guess. I had the same holes in my 1973 beetle heater channel. Water from condensation over decades.

Hope you don't mind but here is a picture of what mine looked like. I ended up replacing the entire bottom plate.

Thread with more pics.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682811&highlight=

Mike T

That's more damage than what I have at the moment. Of course, I haven't seen the inside of the channel. I'm not ready to do that extensive a fix yet, but I appreciate seeing what will eventually have to be done.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Patching holes/treating rust in the floor/heater channel Reply with quote

Based on those pictures I would recommend to not use the jacks that come with the car. Do not lift on the side of the car or you could crush it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: