Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's up with RS FAB?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
So they have them available yet delivery is 4-6 weeks? That makes no sense. Honestly a better business model would be for them to make a batch and sell them to GW or VC for distribution.

Or simply run inventory. That's the most obvious solution IMO. Make a bunch, sell them, and then they're "out of stock" until they get more made. Would be way more transparent for everyone.
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

The 4 to 6 week shipment is shown right on the website that you are ordering from. Either accept or not, no different than the vanlife center console that is also made by a one man show.

I own both an RSFAB shifter and the Vanlife center console and can honestly say that I am blown away by both and am thankful that someone is making such awesome gear for our Vans.

The Gene Berg short shift kit from VanCafe or a plastic center console from Pepboys is always available if you feel it can't wait

For all of those complaining about the wait, they then post that they never yet installed the item Laughing
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
The 4 to 6 week shipment is shown right on the website that you are ordering from. Either accept or not, no different than the vanlife center console that is also made by a one man show.

I own both an RSFAB shifter and the Vanlife center console and can honestly say that I am blown away by both and am thankful that someone is making such awesome gear for our Vans.

The Gene Berg short shift kit from VanCafe or a plastic center console from Pepboys is always available if you feel it can't wait

For all of those complaining about the wait, they then post that they never yet installed the item Laughing

Yeah agreed. This is why I decided to pull trigger. Its one of those instances where I don't want to miss out on the awesome part. Bear in mind everyone rates this thing as top notch. Its just the guy obviously was overwhelmed. Nice problem to have. Even still, the rest of us really don't add anything by playing armchair CEO
Ed Hoffmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Hi Samba Vanagon owners,

One last thought on my order with RS Fab. I paid for my order July 3rd. Just received my order. It is missing 3 parts. The lower section of the shifter and the shift knob.Also the connector for the subaru linkage .called them on Monday and yet no call back. 3 months and I still can't install it.

As a business owner myself I can understand that he is being stretched in too many directions. But as a customer, I can't understand how you can operate like this.
Stop taking orders, build up an inventory and then distribute. Or better yet, he has done the engineering, sub the machining out to a qualified shop and work on finding a good shop foreman that will handle your production.

I also understand that even an order of 300 units per month would probably not be enough to support a business as a full time gig. So maybe the first option is best. Build up an inventory and sell them as a seasonal limited edition item. Maybe 2-3 times a year, we are waiting that long anyway. Then everyone is happy.
icekareem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Count me as one of the many people that purchased the big shot shifter via paypal (out $400) and haven't heard a word in 2 months. Someone named Melanie responded to an email I sent asking for a status update with: "I'll let you know later today". But have not heard anything back after multiple repeated emails. Even contacted them through paypal to dispute the charge since I have no indication the product is on it's way. Still nothing. Not happy with RSFab at this point.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Goodness, he's still cashing checks months before shipping? And people are still sending him checks (or cc#s?)???

A trustworthy business would put your name on the waiting list, ping when ready to ship and take the cc# then. What's going on here is just plain weird. Too many things can happen in life to expect this to end well for every one. It'll be fine for most, but a few may be disappointed.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Goodness, he's still cashing checks months before shipping? And people are still sending him checks (or cc#s?)???

A trustworthy business would put your name on the waiting list, ping when ready to ship and take the cc# then. What's going on here is just plain weird. Too many things can happen in life to expect this to end well for every one. It'll be fine for most, but a few may be disappointed.

As long as people keep giving alcohol to the drunk, he won't recover.
cactuskombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Sadly I am now in the same boat with a shifter I ordered from RSfAB. I will be requesting a refund if I don;t receive my product by US 12TH October, my 13th October.

I paid in good faith to support these people but I have not had a reply to my emails to them for an update, for what must be nearly 2 months.

I will reserve my action till the US 12/10 and go from there.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Could folks who threw down hard cash for the shift linkage system well over a year ago please PM me? It's about time we coordinated.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I have been following this thread for the past year. I feel for you guys. He makes some quality stuff, but even if he gets his act together I can't see myself supporting his business just by his display of customer service. I hope you guys get this resolved and am interested in how he handles this.

Honestly can't believe he has held onto every ones money this long. I guess you guys can find solace in knowing it is going towards feeding his growing kids,taking his gf out to dinners, and putting gas in his van.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

He is no longer advertising on here, his ad has been pulled or expired.

His web site is still alive but after reading this thread I caution anyone against placing an order for his products.

http://rsfabparts.com/product/big-shot-vanagon-shifter/

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slownsteady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Its a shame so many are having issues with RSFab. I lucked out finding the complete shifter for sale locally on CL, snatched it up (of course), installed it shortly afterwards ( - super easy install). I can confirm what many have said - its a superior shifter by all measures. My point of reference is a completely rebuilt shifting system - from the transmission forward. With the BIG Shot the shifting action is smoother, finding the gears is easier and the movement is more precise with better "feel". My only dilemma was whether to use the original shift boot or not as the shifter base is a work of art and engineering. As much as it pained me I did use the boot because my carpet is cut to accept the boot, though I may go back to revisit this later. Again, its a shame this wonderful product is failing with its audience largely due to delivery and customer service issues. The shifter itself is fantastic.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Did you guys see his recent announcement?
He purchased a batch of bad aluminum, but didn't know it until after fabrication. Even if he got reimbursed by the steel company, he still had to cover the fabrication.

Anyway....

If a list of outstanding orders is being compiled, perhaps it should include model and color.

In January, my brother ordered a 2wd, manual, in brown with a white knob. It arrived 10 days later.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Saw that as well. He is stating that there are 25 orders that he needs to deal with and will contact in next few weeks. Good luck to all. Hope it works out.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

My request is not for people who ordered the bigshot, those get produced just fine.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Order placed for a black with red nob, estimated 4-6 weeks per website. Last week, exactly 5 weeks later, I received shipping notification.
Ed Hoffmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
So another update on my order. Paid for on June 3,2017.
Finally got parts on Sept 8. Opened up box to start install and was missing parts.
Lower shift connector and Subaru output shaft connector.

Called them on Sept 13, 2017. Also emailed them. NOT ONE RESPONSE. NADA ZIP ZERO.
So I gave up and made my own.

I hope all of you ordering parts are experienced engineers, fabricators and mechanics.

Pretty sure that the 4-6 weeks is a typo and should have been months.

Im so disappointed with this company that I am actually considering starting to fabricate these .
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Ed Hoffmann wrote:

Im so disappointed with this company that I am actually considering starting to fabricate these .

Post up when you decide. Looks like the design could be simplified/made less expensive if it reuses the existing boot/hole in the carpet.

The whole mess sounds like a kickstarter gone wrong…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
My request is not for people who ordered the bigshot, those get produced just fine.

And to balance this statement, I received my Bigshot, exactly as ordered, with all necessary parts, flawlessly packaged, in 5 weeks. It is pretty clear there are two separate issues going on here. I just wanted to add my voice because I know vendor reviews tend to skew negative. It's just the nature of the Beast. Horror stories seeking resolution but few posts just saying "yep, order received, all good". Hopefully these experiences will help others that are on the fence one way or the other.
Cheers,
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

This is on my wish list for the future when/if it sounds like he gets it together. Is the length of the lever like the original or like one with an extension?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: