Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel bearing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

Hi, i found my rear wheel bearing was dead, and therefore I ordered a new wheel bearing kit.
I received the kit and the inner bearing was easy to change.
The outer bearing was giving me trouble, I tried to cool it down and to heat up the bore, no luck... couldn't even get the new KML bearing to sit in the hole.
Then I measured the OD of the bearing and I was 62,3mm, and the bore is 62,0mm.
Is it possible to get that bearing squeezed in?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

elpres wrote:
Is it possible to get that bearing squeezed in?

Yes, but the bearing binds up and destroys itself soon after in most cases.

Have a look at this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554368&highlight=rear+wheel+bearing

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

IMHO the KML bearings are junk. The steel is full of scratches - sort of implying it is soft. The ones I got fought me like crazy - and I had done the job on other bays before. I was afraid to run it because it was oval. Pulled it and put in a FAG bearing - and it slide in properly, not loose and not overly tight. I told the vendor I got them from to stop selling them because they are junk, so have other people here but I suspect our words fall on deaf ears sometimes. Don't use those or you will regret it.
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

Anyone knows where to buy a FAG outer bearing? Preferably in EU and on a internet site?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

is this on the 1976?
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

No the 75
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

I did not see any FAG bearings on ebay.de but they do have SKF which should work too. Call around to your local VW shops and see if anyone has the SKF or FAG bearing outer. The part number should be 211-501-283D
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

Here is the part number 211-501-283-D. You may find it in Febi.
Good luck
Tcash
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

this is a well known problem.
so the last time i did this job, here's what i did:

OG
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FAG

KML

pretty obvious, no?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

That is asppalling

Embarassed
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

You could contact vwheritage and see which one they carry.

https://www.vwheritage.com/211501283d-wheel-bearing-rear-outer-8-70

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

It seems difficult to find anyone around here (Denmark), that has the FAG bearings, but I found a private guy that has a SKF rear wheel bearing kit, for 350dkr (41£). So I'm gonna pick that up.
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

I finally Got my hands on some skf bearings. And I followed this great guide http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=11737
It all went well but One thing I’m not sure about is, that I feel some resistance/binding when turning the stub axel by hand. Compared to the other side it’s a lot. It’s not the outer bearing making trouble and I dident need to use the hammer very much to tap the stub axle in. Could the inner rear seal create that much resistance? Is it normal behavior to have some resistance with a brand new setup?
Any thoughts?
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

I seem to remember it being a little harder to turn a fresh bearing but not binding.

Please make sure that the roller bearing shell is fitted exactly straight .
And check that it it is very well packed with grease - I failed to do this and ended up with the outer bearing shell starting to melt - this is after about 50km driving including 110kph running.

I then fitted another identical bearing from a low cost supplier here in the UK and another the other side, a bearing from VWH.

The cheaper bearing was larger outside diameter and before fitting, it was quite loose on the inner sleeve but it crushed slightly as it was knocked into place. It was then stiffer but did not bind at all.

I have now driven well over 30000 km on both the cheap no-name and the VWH bearing.

I believe that grease and good alignment are possibly more important than whether the bearing seems to fit well.

A big enough hammer and a 46mm drive impact socket using the stub axle as a guide seems to work to get it in there.

This all comes from a how-to I wrote http://www.thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/rear-wheel-bearing-replacement-in-progress.63457/

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

I made a little video then you guys maybe better can see what I’m concerned about.

Link

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

a new seal will make it harder to turn but it should not feel gritty or uneven. If it seems wrong try it without the seals then put new ones back in after the test, make sure you grease them before installing them.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

In your video it looks a little stiffer than mine ..mine had resistance but with a wheel on the hub it still span freely.
The lip seals should not drag if they are greased.
Check the outer bearing cage is exactly square in the hub carrier.Then if you are certain the grease is packed well in the bearing I would try assembling the hub and brake drum.
Then drive on it. If it is OK then it will last more than say 100km.

If it goes bad .. you needed to change it again anyway..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

Push the stub axle half way in, so it is riding only in the inner bearing. Try it. Still stiff, the problem is in the inner bearing.

Remove the stub axle and install into the outer bearing and test. Still stiff, problem is in the outer bearing.

If both bearings are smooth with the axle only installed half way. The bearings are misaligned. Make sure bearing races are square in the bearing housing bore.
Good day
Tcash
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing Reply with quote

Thank you guys for some good posts.
I knocked the stub axel out once again and then put another rear seal on it, and then turned the axel, holding on to the seal. And the resistance felt like the amount I felt when the axel was mounted on the car.
So I feel good now about it, and has put it all together again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: