Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the fire. I'd like to see a shot of the engine now that it's been restored.
As far as the interior, it's all just a matter of opinion but that tweed looks pretty well done. I would run that a while before I switched it out. I would not go with black vinyl in the back. Personally I think black looks like crap. Check out NLA vw parts, they sell a complete kit for returning your bus back to stock using the classic mustard vinyl. I have a set and it's great quality. I personally prefer the stock look of the mustard vinyl. Easy to clean and classic looks. There is also a guy on the samba that sells reproduction original style curtains. They are a great deal as far as I'm concerned. Stock never goes out of style.
Great looking bus. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Hey 71: I agree w/ you re: stock look. Not sure my wife does (& I'm just glad she loves the bus).

Here's a pic of the engine:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Cleaned up nicely.

Can you share details on that idler pulley implementation??
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

4. While crawling under the bus, I tend to look at everything & this caught my eye. I'm guessing I should be concerned... Appreciate any input
That is a plastic nipple to vent the Brake servo and serves no structural operation and is not under force.

211 698 485 Brake servo breather kit

You may want silicone the crack and to put a couple pieces of bailing wire around it to hold it together until you can find a replacement.

Booster search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Good luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

4. While crawling under the bus, I tend to look at everything & this caught my eye. I'm guessing I should be concerned... Appreciate any input
That is a plastic nipple to vent the Brake servo and serves no structural operation and is not under force.

211 698 485 Brake servo breather kit

You may want silicone the crack and put a couple pieces of bailing wire around it to hold it together until you can find a replacement. They are NLA (no longer available).

Booster search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Good luck
Tcash
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for including info on the Blazecut. I'll be putting that on my list.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

alschnier wrote:
Hey 71: I agree w/ you re: stock look. Not sure my wife does (& I'm just glad she loves the bus).

Here's a pic of the engine:

Goodness, that did clean up nicely!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

I've been busy working on the interior.

I took out the icebox/sink several weeks ago to refurbish that. Since it was a pain in the butt to get out, rather than reinstall, I decided I'd do the floors 1st. What follows is a photo journal of that adventure.

Here's a pic of the Icebox w/ the water tank removed. It was leaking & there was some damage (& cleanup) that needed attention. Previous owner "solved" the issue by using spray foam in the cavity recess where the pipes exit bus Razz

Here's a reference pic of the Westy Icebox / sink w the icebox removed

Here's mine w. a new rear panel. I added a bead of silicone on the front side, as well as some Reflectix along the top & back for additional insulation

On to the floor...

Here it is in all it's glory. Only took about 2 hours for me to tear it down, solo. All the tips here (& in Bently) were super helpful.

After some debate & tons of research on vapor barriers, I opted to POR-15 the floor. There were some wet spots from PO & I did not want to create any future hazards once the new floor was in (I did not install a vapor barrier FYI)

Here's a pic w. my insulation - Mojo Mat for sound (butyl based - if I only knew *before I ordered the Fatmat. Luckily our FLAPS had this).

In the walls, I inserted panels I made using foam board wrapped w/ Reflectix (see detail in next pix)

My custom Reflectix panels

All buttoned up. I opted for a Bamboo laminate from Home Depot. I love Bamboo & have used it for a bunch of projects. It was fairly easy to install (solo).

A few notes:
- I was lucky enough to have original threshold piece which I reinstalled
- I was also lucky enough to be able to use original subfloor along w/ Bamboo. The height worked out perfectly. I had to redrill 2 holes for the closet, but that was it. My floor vents in walk thru are still accessible, Z bed is all good, etc.
- You may notice I also redid the birch panels. PO had installed wainscoting somewhere along the way. Found some great 1/4" birch from a local lumberyard & used old panels for templates.

Next up... reupholstery. Waiting on TMI to ship some OEM vinyl.
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Enjoyed another awesome weekend camping w/ my wife & 2 dogs this weekend in the ADKs. Next weekend, off to the Bills game, for what will likely be the last outing of the year.

[/img]
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Awesome photo! You should add it to this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437274
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

alschnier wrote:
Enjoyed another awesome weekend camping w/ my wife & 2 dogs this weekend in the ADKs. Next weekend, off to the Bills game, for what will likely be the last outing of the year.

[/img]

Absolutely beautiful capture! Looks like a great time.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

1. I was thinking about the comment above, re: M Codes & snapped a pic. Then went to the technical section here, & mine (309) doesn't seem to make the list. Any thoughts?

The pic you posted along with the above quote is not of the M-code plate. The m-code plate can be usually found on the bulkhead behind the drivers seat. At least that is where it is located on my 71 camper. Very Happy

Hit the link below for the automated M plate decoder FAQ page.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342305
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks Sodbuster. I realized the err of my ways, in time Smile Mine is in the same spot.

OEM paint is L31H: Chianti Red. Just ordered a few rattle cans from Paintscratch.com, along w. some L90D (Pastel White) for the bumpers Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: