Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mf1274
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am a proud owner of a 1959 single cab pick up. This is the first bus/ pick up I have ever owned. So I do not know much about them and the differences. I have owned many bugs before. The guy I bought it off of took the rear bumper off the truck. I did not get the bumper when I bought it but it, so I would like to put a rear bumper back on it. I am being told by some that I have to get a bumper from a “truck only” because the bus one will not fit. But then others are telling me that the regular bus rear bumper will fit. Can anyone please help me out with this. This is no were near a numbers matching truck. So I’m not looking for 100 % correct for the year, I want to put a rear bumper on that looks good. I was actually hopeing that I could put the stainless steel bumpers on it. I really like the chrome look. Does anyone have experience with the stainless bumpers as far as fit and quality? Thank you so much for any help.
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

bus bumpers fit perfect, just trim the radius back a bit , I made a template for trimming them for trucks.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

What I don't know is whether or not you will have good results trimming stainless. Different breed of cat when you've got a grinder in your hand.

I'd take the offer above on the trimming template and apply it to a regular steel bus bumper. 50s-anything in VW trucks are getting harder to find. To have one with good looking white bumpers is pretty damn cool in my book.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
59skab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

All of the above. Once you get deeper into the bus addiction you will realize you made the right choice by going with the silver white bumpers. If youre in socal i have a correct for 59 rear bumper im willing to sell ...
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

western auto what part of the bumper doesn't fit on a truck and requires some trimming? I'm always curious to learn being someday I will own a SC Wink

western auto wrote:
bus bumpers fit perfect, just trim the radius back a bit , I made a template for trimming them for trucks.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

You should be able to see the differences here.

Kommercial wrote:
Here is a normal bumper, 61-67truck/59-67bus:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a "truck only" bumper, 59-60

Notice the distance between the blade edge and overrider tube. About half as wide on the 59/60 version. Basically the blade edge is just ground back for more body clearance.
Both of these bumpers are cross compatible/will fit through all years on both buses and trucks.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

Truck bumper thread from the Split Bus FAQ
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162764
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

There are a couple of photos of us cutting the upper edge corner radius of a WW supplied rear Bus bumper to fit the sharp-corners on the body of my 1959 Double-Cab pick-up in the build thread on my DC (search "BulliBill's 1959 Double-Cab" or something like that), can't remember what page in the thread it is, but you'll find it! That'll give you an idea of the work involved in trimming the bumper blade to fit a Pick-up.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

The bumpers have a different shape.... here is s bus bumper on my truck....the radius at the end is different, plus it's not flat across the face like a truck bumper.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...

Last edited by gitchesum on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
The bumpers have a different shape.... here is s bus bumper on my truck....the radius at the end is different, plus it's not flat across the face like a truck bumper. Here's another pic of the different config too....although these are fglass, they show the difference too....

On 59-60 truck bumpers the die stamping is identical. Everything about the bumper - shape, radius, size, position of the brackets and holes, everything, is identical. The only difference between the 59-60 bus and truck bumpers is how much material is relieved on the upper inside corner.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

Good to know....thanks

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

This is the most helpful and conclusive stainless steel bumper image ever submitted here.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ???? Rear bumper for 1959 single cab truck Reply with quote

You should see the front...and he had them on the dash too !

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: