Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

I have a nice dual muffler system,but it won't work with the trailer hitch I just bought.

Does anyone have an inexpensive alternative exhaust that will work with a Thing Shop Hitch?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

Either a split exhaust from TTS, or the "Tri mill" style (aka Hotdog muffler).....
Both will not be as powerful as your current merged system though.... Rolling Eyes

I run the Split system from TTS on Our Thing... It does just fine, and has a Great tone!

I also have the tri mill style that I replaced with the split style... It was Too loud and not as "tuned" a sound for my ears.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

GI Joe,

I like TTS system, but it's tough dropping $450+ so I can install a $200 hitch...

Do you know if the hitch will fit around the "Hotdog"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

Maybe find a fabricator that can modify the hitch to work....(?)

Having all that header tubage and collector right there really bites into your useable space......

How important is the hitch?? Lol Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

Whatever you do,.....just don't hang it off the bumper
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:

How important is the hitch??

Guess I'll hide it in a corner for awhile.

I see TTS has a front receiver hitch too
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

What exhaust is that on your car? Looks like it exists out the bumper holes?
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

I'm not sure who manufactured my exhaust (It came with the car), it's twin mufflers that do come out the original holes. I've replaced the heater boxes with J pipes for additional clearance for oil lines.

The problem is the collector in the center blocks installation of the hitch. It seems only stock '73 or TTS systems will allow me to mount the hitch.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

I think your system is a S&S
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

Here is a picture of what it take to modify a VW trailer hitch to clear your exhaust I had to cut it into and put it back together on the Thing it works great I pull a trailer with my Salsbury motor scooter and the Grandkids stroller I have no trouble running 70 mph with the trailer I do have ft disc brakes and a 1776 with a stock carb I pull it most every week to some car show.

Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

I want to add a 2" trailer hitch to my Thing. I'm assuming the one from ThingShop that bolts to the transmission cradle mount won't work due to my exhaust and possibly my oil pan. What do you guys think? Any suggestions.

I'm thinking about getting the ThingShop front hitch and mounting it to the rear bumper. All I want to do is put my bicycle rack on there so we're only talking probably 70 pounds with rack and two bikes. My bumper seems pretty solid. I can stand on it and bounce up and down with no problem. Any thoughts on that idea?

KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

I put a bike rack on mine frequently, although I have the thing shop hitch and exhaust.

I'm sure vertically your bumper is strong enough, it's the twisting effect from the long lever (bike rack) that I would worry about. If I were doing it I would buy the transmission cradle mount one, cut it apart, install the bumper/hitch part and install the transmission part, then start working out how to connect them together like Citroen did in the above post. Another idea comes to mind is to reinforce the backside of the bumper with heavy angle or even a 2 x 4 to spread the twisting force out to the bumper mounts, don't know if this would work well or not. Maybe a strap around the top of the rack or the bike to the car (not the top loops) to resist the twisting? I think my ideas are getting worse by the second. Very Happy
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the twisting affect from the rack. I'll keep thinking of options.
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

Any one using the Thing shop hitch with the trimill hot dog exhaust?
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

I'm using the "Hotdog" with Thing Shop hitch. The hotdog had to be heated and hammered in the front to about the level where the tips come out, so that the hitch would clear.
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

Any chance of a picture
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, I'm travelling in MX. Hopefully you can see how far back I had to "Smash" it. It just clears the hitch.Let me know if you'd like more pictures,I'll be back in the U.S. tomorrow.
KD90815
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

I have 2 tow bars. I plan on selling one. I just have not got around to posting it yet. Anyone here interested?
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust with Thing Shop Trailer Hitch Reply with quote

Below are some more pictures of the muffler installed with Thing Shop receiver hitch.
Pounding it in the center front, to about even with where the exhaust tips come out, and it just clears.

definitely louder then the old setup.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: