Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canopy carports - anyone use them?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

Moderators please move thread to corresponding forum. I wasn't exactly sure where to put it and I do like the fellow '68+ members' opinions.

With winter right around the corner and two hobby cars, one has to be parked outside. I'm not paying for storage rental and have been contemplating buying a carport canopy. There are a few different brands but money being a factor, I'm looking into the Harbor Freight one.

Here: https://m.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-62860.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now from the research I've done into them, the weakest link to the canopy seems to be the tubular frame which can bend with too much weight on top. There are a few YouTube videos of people reinforcing the frame but none have done it the way I'm thinking of doing.

My plan is to buy the kit and fill the tubes with sand and expandable foam. I will start at one of the tune, apply the expandable foam, let it sit overnight and the next day fill the tube with play-sand and then "cap" the other end with more foam. This way the tube is now filled and less likely to bend.

What do y'all think?
What are you guys using for outdoor covering?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

I would just buy two kits and double the number of uprights
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

I use these and have had several come and go. I think the sand filling and foam is ??? I have had some bend but mostly from wind, improperly or not tied down , parts coming apart. I duct tape all the connections together so they don’t slip apart, I imagine one screw at each connection would work too. Then secure to the ground so it doesn’t lift and then tighten the top so it doesn’t sag and collect/puddle behind the horizontal bars.

I have had corner pieces bend but only because a section came loose and added undo stress to the system.
No snow here though.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

joey1320, I believe that filling the PVC with sand would create a problem because the tubes would then be heavier than they are supposed to be and cause bending.
I like dirtkeepers solution to the problem.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:

I like dirtkeepers solution to the problem.

I agree.
Duct tape can fix anything.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

In Florida, maybe. In Cleveland, no. I have seen far more elaborate, and more structurally ridged car ports collapse with as little as 6 inches of snow on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

I sure wish someone still made these.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/garage-folds-against-side-of-wall/#more

I would buy one in a second!
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

Don't think filling the tubing with sand would do much to prevent bending, and it will probably cause sagging on long pieces of the roof.

If the tubing is straight, you might be able to reinforce it by slipping some slightly smaller PVC plumbing pipe inside, or possibly some thin-wall electrical conduit.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

Some use sand in the tube as a trick to bend it without kinking. I don't think it will really prevent anything from bending.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

bobinphx wrote:
I sure wish someone still made these.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/garage-folds-against-side-of-wall/#more

I would buy one in a second!

I have been looking for something similar. I found this. www.gazebox.net

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

sand and foam inside the tube wont strengthen the tube from bending, it may prevent kinkingnat the bend, but should not give anymore resistence to bending.

Caution in winds, these things can be picked up in the wind, so very secure ancoring to the ground is imperitive. A body of mine had is wieghted down, yet the wind picked it up and flopped it over on his wifes car. so besure it is secured very well.

Another concern for the style with walls is the water proof fabric does not breathe, thus with rain water pooling or even evaporating from moist ground, concrete etc.. under it, the humidity can go to 100% inside the tent, and this can casue mold and rust issues on and inside your car. For that reason leaving the door or side(s) open is a good idea. cars can be damaged by a winter left in high humidity, believe me,,it can be a real issue.

so for best results...,

1.. secure the base well from wind lifting, do not underestimate the force of the wind it will become a giant sail in the wind.

2. Do not close up the sides totally it MUST be allowed to breathe, else sever moisture damage, corrosion and mold, may ruin the uplostery, corrode the chrome. always have good ventalation around a stored car. A clean DRY enviroment is critical to prevent damage.

3...filling the tubes with sand will NOT add bending strength, dont waste effort on that rather spend money on a tent with fatter tubes, thicker tube walls, that is whatnwill get you extra strength. some tents have very fat diameter tubes, this is an indication of better quality.

You may wish to look at this company...

https://www.creativeshelters.com/canopy-kits/directory

note they have 1 inch tubes and 1 5/8 inch tubes, go for the fat ones!

good luck, stay dry!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
sand and foam inside the tube wont strengthen the tube from bending, it may prevent kinkingnat the bend, but should not give anymore resistence to bending.

Caution in winds, these things can be picked up in the wind, so very secure ancoring to the ground is imperitive. A body of mine had is wieghted down, yet the wind picked it up and flopped it over on his wifes car. so besure it is secured very well.

Another concern for the style with walls is the water proof fabric does not breathe, thus with rain water pooling or even evaporating from moist ground, concrete etc.. under it, the humidity can go to 100% inside the tent, and this can casue mold and rust issues on and inside your car. For that reason leaving the door or side(s) open is a good idea. cars can be damaged by a winter left in high humidity, believe me,,it can be a real issue.

so for best results...,

1.. secure the base well from wind lifting, do not underestimate the force of the wind it will become a giant sail in the wind.

2. Do not close up the sides totally it MUST be allowed to breathe, else sever moisture damage, corrosion and mold, may ruin the uplostery, corrode the chrome. always have good ventalation around a stored car. A clean DRY enviroment is critical to prevent damage.

3...filling the tubes with sand will NOT add bending strength, dont waste effort on that rather spend money on a tent with fatter tubes, thicker tube walls, that is whatnwill get you extra strength. some tents have very fat diameter tubes, this is an indication of better quality.

You may wish to look at this company...

https://www.creativeshelters.com/canopy-kits/directory

note they have 1 inch tubes and 1 5/8 inch tubes, go for the fat ones!

good luck, stay dry!

Thanks for the info.
Looking at the link you posted, it says they don't sell the tubes due to the cost of shipping.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor, and contact the manufacturer to talk to them about how much sustained weight the roof can carry on whichever canopy you're looking at. I'm sure size has lots to do with the surface area of the roof, but you may be pulling snow off the top of it more often than shoveling the driveway to keep it standing. The ones I've known to collapse were of the 2 inch, or so square steel tube with the aluminum roof. The picture is from a random google image search, and isn't trying to bash the company it is from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

Not for nothing, but I was told by a rep of my insurance company that they wouldn't even insure me if I used one of these temporary canopies because of so many instances where they damage the cars in them due to wind, rain, snow, etc.
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

I have an older harbor freight Quonset hut (half round) style. That my bugs body is currently living under.

The frame has held up fine to some pretty heavy snows. I think the roundness helps with strength. I do have to frequently replace the tarp covering it. I guess I could get higher quality tarps but I'm doing good to get 1.5 years out of them.

Even the better made versions of these are eyesores in my book. If I can ever finish welding up my rusted out frame head and put the bug back together Rolling Eyes I plan on getting one of the nicer canopies meant for entertaining and have it double as a carport for the bug.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Moderators please move thread to corresponding forum. I wasn't exactly sure where to put it and I do like the fellow '68+ members' opinions.

With winter right around the corner and two hobby cars, one has to be parked outside. I'm not paying for storage rental and have been contemplating buying a carport canopy. There are a few different brands but money being a factor, I'm looking into the Harbor Freight one.

Here: https://m.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-62860.html

Now from the research I've done into them, the weakest link to the canopy seems to be the tubular frame which can bend with too much weight on top. There are a few YouTube videos of people reinforcing the frame but none have done it the way I'm thinking of doing.

My plan is to buy the kit and fill the tubes with sand and expandable foam. I will start at one of the tune, apply the expandable foam, let it sit overnight and the next day fill the tube with play-sand and then "cap" the other end with more foam. This way the tube is now filled and less likely to bend.

What do y'all think?
What are you guys using for outdoor covering?

I had one exactly like this. It didn't last the winter. Snow collapsed the roof. I've seen ones that have a more rounded roof, kinda like an upside down "U". If I would ever buy another that is the type I would buy.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

What's the goal here? To keep snow/weather off the car? If so you're better off with a car cover than the HF car port. Parking it for winter, or will you be using it occasionally?
I used a car cover for many years parking my bug outdoors during winter, and I drove it in winter too, but esp when it snows heavy, it's easy to use a broom to push the snow off the car, and with the cover it doesn't scratch the paint to do so.
Car port seems like a lot more in set-up / breakdown, not to mention storage when not in use. Obviously its not gonna protect the car from a falling tree, but branches maybe. The down side is it could blow around in the wind and damage the car itself.
I feel like those things are better for a car out in the desert you are protecting from the sun, or as a ghetto paint booth, but I wouldn't use one for winter protection. Need something more real-deal, a legit car port or a lean to next to the garage.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
What's the goal here? To keep snow/weather off the car? If so you're better off with a car cover than the HF car port. Parking it for winter, or will you be using it occasionally?
I used a car cover for many years parking my bug outdoors during winter, and I drove it in winter too, but esp when it snows heavy, it's easy to use a broom to push the snow off the car, and with the cover it doesn't scratch the paint to do so.
Car port seems like a lot more in set-up / breakdown, not to mention storage when not in use. Obviously its not gonna protect the car from a falling tree, but branches maybe. The down side is it could blow around in the wind and damage the car itself.
I feel like those things are better for a car out in the desert you are protecting from the sun, or as a ghetto paint booth, but I wouldn't use one for winter protection. Need something more real-deal, a legit car port or a lean to next to the garage.

Just winter protection. I actually may not need it since I'm selling my Honda and will probably park the bug in the garage.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Do yourself a favor, and contact the manufacturer to talk to them about how much sustained weight the roof can carry on whichever canopy you're looking at. I'm sure size has lots to do with the surface area of the roof, but you may be pulling snow off the top of it more often than shoveling the driveway to keep it standing. The ones I've known to collapse were of the 2 inch, or so square steel tube with the aluminum roof. The picture is from a random google image search, and isn't trying to bash the company it is from.

I have one of these my 356 is sitting under. the 7' side height one. I used the ones like the op posted about they are ok but tend to not last and fly around and set on top of the neighbors house, there good for a paint booth when you have nothing else. or just shade . the diy kit is only $100 less so dont make any sense to do that. a truck load of mexiacans (5)got hear with it and left in about 30 min and it was done. mine was 12x21x7.and ,matches the house too.I already had the slab ready althought it dosent need one.... but I did.They drilled and anchored it down.30 min and they were driving away.sweet. Ill probably get another one or 2 some day, one in my drive way and one at my shops 16' door.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy carports - anyone use them? Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been looking for something similar. I found this. www.gazebox.net

Holy cow that's cool! It's bug shaped (and I want one to live in! lol)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: