Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things heard while driving your Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

Neighbor down the street...

"There was a guy in high school that had one just like that!"

After discussing further, she was a sr. when I was a sophomore at the same school and I started driving my first Thing to school!

jay
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyj007 wrote:
I've been surprised by the number of people who seem convinced that Things or Bugs float in general. Even my boss who has owned a Bug thought they floated. I'm guessing part of it comes from the fact that they are so light. As I recall there was a Mythbusters episode where they tried to float a newer bug but were unable to for any length of time even after they modified it. Admittedly the new Bugs aren't designed much like the older ones.

So like everything else, sure it floats but for how long.

Found these videos on YouTube.

Link

Link

Anybody old enough to remember this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

Bought my first car in 1965 in Germany a 1965 VW &1,212.00 new. Was on Victor Alert with 4 F-100's loaded with A bombs the night when JFK was shot, so yes I remember that add.
GB
tkelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

I heard the other day "that car is a deathtrap and shouldn't be allowed on the streets"...
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

Lately I get a lot of this....." I knew someone in high school that had one".
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

While at a local hobby shop recently, one of the customers asked where I purchased the orange Kubelwagen, and why it was painted orange and not gray or light tan. My response was that is was a suburban camouflage scheme so that the car would not stand out . . .

Maybe had something to do with the fact that I was in line waiting to pay for a 1/48 scale Tamiya Kubelwagen . . .
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

"Ya know a propeller comes right out the back of those and they can swim. That's why he has goggles hanging from the rear view mirror."

Quote from a local car show attendee Confused
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

"That's telling 'em." And, "You got the last word."

Whenever I am at a light rail crossing -- basically, a railroad crossing for local public transportation -- the light rail train blows its horn so impatient jockeys don't thread their way through the lowered gates and try to squeeze through. If I'm one of the lead cars, I blow my horn back at the train.

The effect was quite different with Thing's horn. Usually folks take me seriously but they knew immediately I was just having fun -- hence, the playful jeering.

I have played with the idea of getting a more serious horn for Thing ranging from something more modern to something quite illegal, but I couldn't give up the original horn in doing so.
Das Ding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

I got the "float" question too.

My reply was "No it doesn't float...I tried it!"
Flush_Gordon337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

Usually for me it's one of my friends coming in and telling me people are staring or taking pictures of my Thing.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

"THE THING!" is what I hear most often. Smile
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Things heard while driving your Thing Reply with quote

I heard a new one today. A guy pulls up beside me at a stop light and while we're chatting he tells me that he used to work at a Cadillac dealership way back when, and in 1974 they had a special promotion: if you bought a Cadillac you got a Thing thrown in for FREE. I don't know if I find that insulting or not. I mean, it's a car, not a toaster.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: