Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pully Problems
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967VWS4LIFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Pully Problems Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tried to put on the fan belt, the belt was too short, stripped the threads (the guy gave us the wrong belt, thanks). Is there a one piece pully system that has a tensioner so we don't have to use this two piece pully?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

Yes, bit you'll also have to change the crank pulley....and by the looks of what you did from a "short belt, you should probably just get a new alternator. How do you strip steel threads because a piece of rubber was too ahort?
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SCAT-Serpentine-Belt-...ey-kit.htm

You might be able to save the alternator by using a thread dye and chase the threads down. Go easy next time you tighten anything.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967VWS4LIFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

We used an impact gun to tighten it, and used a tap and die to make new threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

1967VWS4LIFE wrote:
We used an impact gun to tighten it, and used a tap and die to make new threads.

Why would you use an impact gun? Shocked I've been around VW's for 25 years and I can say you're the first I've ever heard use an impact gun on am alternator pulley. Just wow.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc

Last edited by fivelugshortaxle on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

1967VWS4LIFE wrote:
We used an impact gun to tighten it.

Just use a 21mm wrench, tighten til it turns, check tension $$$$ saved!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

1967VWS4LIFE wrote:

Throw the impact gun away.... If it does not go on by "hand" something is wrong... Impact gun only makes it worse...

I have several pneumatic and battery and hardly even use them as they just get me into more trouble....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

You can convert it to a solid pulley and use a tensioner but it's not really worth doing. The stock pulley works great when used properly.
Sorry I guess you learnin the hard way.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

Don't use an impact gun.
Chase the threads with a die it is M12x1.5
Don't use the stock nut, but instead use this which engages more threads (here is one from Berg)...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1660200
Finally when you tighten it correctly you are supposed to use too many pulley shims then remove one at a time until you reach the right belt deflection.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
You might be able to save the alternator by using a thread dye and chase the threads down. Go easy next time you tighten anything.

74 Thing wrote:
Don't use an impact gun.
Chase the threads with a die it is M12x1.5
Don't use the stock nut, but instead use this which engages more threads (here is one from Berg)...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1660200

See above. I had a mis-thread there on the generator in my 1971 a decade ago (and I never used an impact wrench to tighten this); I used a die to either repair or cut new threads on the rear of the generator shaft (can't remember for sure). I use a stock pulley but know that the nut I use there takes a 19mm socket now.

So this is definitely repairable, with the engine remaining in the VW.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pully Problems Reply with quote

Being the http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SCAT-Serpentine-Belt-...ey-kit.htm kit is $199,
and the alternator is $109 to $89 depending on where you get it. It may be cheaper to just replace the alternator.
Yes it does require some skills, but you can do this job with engine in the car.
The Fan stays in the shroud, or the shroud comes up 3" so the fan clears the intake.
Also you may find that the remaining threads on the Alternator will not allow you to tighten the bolt to the new one piece alternator pulley.

From Daddybus

From Daddybus With the motor in the bus, changing out the alternator in the daddybus was a real pain,
so I removed the alternator stand mounting studs from the aluminum case and replaced them with bolts and M8 cylinder head washers.
Now I can pull the alternator without the body contortions and fancy language needed to remove the fan beforehand.

Looks like this guy got unlucky, and couldn't loosen the 36 mm nut on the fan.
You can remove the deck lid, and hinges from the bulkhead, just mark their location before hand, so you can easily align panel fit up later at re-assembly.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: