Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

car dies
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

The only problem is yesterday it didn't quit it just acted like it was going to but came out of it before i could get stopped. But i will take notice next time of the things mentioned. The coil is beru and i think the condenser is ecklin, or beck arnley. Whatever it is it has to be simple. Only reason i said vapor lock was it acted like a motor cycle as you switch over to reserve on the gas.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

How is the bakelight peice that guides the fuel pump pushrod/. When they're old, they can swell when hot and interfere with the fuel delivery.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

I sanded the lower portion hoping to avoid that problem. I do have a new one that i can try if all other things don't fix it.
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

I do have a question about heat. I have infrared temp gun and would like to know what part of the engine would be good spots to check for temps and what would be normal temps for those spots.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

sammywells wrote:
I sanded the lower portion hoping to avoid that problem. I do have a new one that i can try if all other things don't fix it.

I think that even if you sand the lower portion, the problem os when it swells if the diameter of the interior is what's affected. That's what happened to the one on my '72 a year ago.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[edit]the one on the left is the old swollen one.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

sammywells wrote:
I do have a question about heat. I have infrared temp gun and would like to know what part of the engine would be good spots to check for temps and what would be normal temps for those spots.

I check mine right under the oil pressure switch. There is a wide swing in temperature, depending on the ambient temperature, humidity and driving habits. After driving a little bit, normal temperature at that location on my bug is 225. It may swing 10 degrees in either direction, but right in that range.

I bought a Save A Bug oil dipstick and have it installed. They are awesome! If you have any doubts, I highly recommend one. Simple to install and dependable.

Here is the link; http://www.savemybug.com/

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

I'll check into both of those. Thanks.
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Been working on the timing and ended up with some carb issues i discussed in another post. Finally ended up getting a rebuilt 30 pic 3 from Tim at volksbitz put it on today and it ran so much better. Rechecked my timing @ O* tdc and everything seemed to be fine. Took the car for a drive found a nice long grade and went up just fine about 60 mph didn't seem to labor at all and sounded fine. Turned around and headed back home but about 5 min later the car started to hesitate and then died. Pulled off to a safe spot and removed the top of the new carb and the bowl was empty. Removed the fuel pump and the rod would slide up and down just fine. Checked the gas tank and no pressure when i removed the cap. Tried to start but no luck. Sat there about a half hr tried to start it a few times and it would act like it wanted to start but no luck. Double checked the bowl and still empty. Sat in the car racking my brain for a bit and decided to try one last time. It started up ran fine and i drove back home about 3 miles. Idles fine, revs fine. Going to replace the fuel pump stand as was recommended soon as i get off here What else can it be.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

sammywells wrote:
Been working on the timing and ended up with some carb issues i discussed in another post. Finally ended up getting a rebuilt 30 pic 3 from Tim at volksbitz put it on today and it ran so much better. Rechecked my timing @ O* tdc and everything seemed to be fine. Took the car for a drive found a nice long grade and went up just fine about 60 mph didn't seem to labor at all and sounded fine. Turned around and headed back home but about 5 min later the car started to hesitate and then died. Pulled off to a safe spot and removed the top of the new carb and the bowl was empty. Removed the fuel pump and the rod would slide up and down just fine. Checked the gas tank and no pressure when i removed the cap. Tried to start but no luck. Sat there about a half hr tried to start it a few times and it would act like it wanted to start but no luck. Double checked the bowl and still empty. Sat in the car racking my brain for a bit and decided to try one last time. It started up ran fine and i drove back home about 3 miles. Idles fine, revs fine. Going to replace the fuel pump stand as was recommended soon as i get off here What else can it be.

Fuel pump is likely going bad. Be mindful that some aftermarket fuel pump stand heights are different than stock. I had the correct measurement around but can't find it at the moment. You should have 13mm of your fuel pump push rod sticking above the fuel pump plastic or bakelite stand "IF" you're running a generator style fuel pump.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

I also saw in your gallery that you recently rebuilt a square top style fuel pump? Is that correct? Did you use an aftermarket fuel pump rebuild kit as well?

sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

As far as i know it's the correct fuel pump, it was on the car when i bought it and it's a square top and I am running a generator. Think i bought the rebuild kit from bugcity but can't remember the name on the kit. was not cheep.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is your picture. Is this the kit you installed? If it is, it's an aftermarket. They are known to have too short of a main diaphragm pin. This puts tremendous pressure on the diaphragms and the top washer that is pressed on the diaphragm assembly. They can tear the top pressed on washer off or the diaphragms tear.

Did you happen to check your fuel pump pressure after assembly? Have you checked it lately?

sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

3 psi
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

3 psi today or when you rebuilt it? That pressure is perfect. If that PSI is today then you need to check for obstructions in the feed line to the pump. Something in the fuel tank? Clogged fuel filter or screen in the bottom of the tank?

sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

that is when i rebuilt the pump. new tank was rinsed out with water and blown with air and set in the sun till dry. All new lines.
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

It did take me a few tries to get the rebuild right. had to take it apart a couple of times, could i have stretched the diaphragm too much
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Got car running good. I purchased a nos brosol fuel pump from Bill here on the samba. Getting about 3 psi fuel pressure and after i reconnected the hoses I took it for the same drive i took last time and there was i big difference. I made it home this time. I know time will tell and other than the pump I don't know what else it could have been since everything was new and i'm the one that rebuilt the old pump. Its running good again and my timing is better. Want to thank everyone for there input. Just gonna drive it a bit and see how it goes. I"ll post back after I put some miles on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: