Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your local powder coater can supply powder.
2nd paragraph: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6988113#6988113
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I was at the powder shop today & had a rattle can of W.W. silver white with me.

I found "light white" by Valspar that seemed to be pretty close.
The shop is going to order a panel of it for me & I'll report back when I can do another side-by-side.]

Easy e, were you able to do another comparison? If so, what did you find?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The powder supplier never sent the sample. The powder coater is still bugging them to get one.

The sample color I had was wolfsburg west rattle can color. I decided to go with just paint & bought an old VW paint chip sample chart. I found it to be too minty green & decided not to use it.

Check it out here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7098793#7098793

I'll pick up some stuff from the powder coater next week & will take the VW chip with me & look for a powder match.
Cheers,
E
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
The powder supplier never sent the sample. The powder coater is still bugging them to get one.

The sample color I had was wolfsburg west rattle can color. I decided to go with just paint & bought an old VW paint chip sample chart. I found it to be too minty green & decided not to use it.

Check it out here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7098793#7098793

I'll pick up some stuff from the powder coater next week & will take the VW chip with me & look for a powder match.
Cheers,
E

I thought the green might have been my monitor. Smile Thanks for the 411.
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: RAL 9002 FTW Reply with quote

My local powder coater frequently does VW wheels and uses RAL 9002. My wheels will be ready Friday, but I don't have anything OG Silver White to shoot them with for a color comparison...
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: RAL 9002 FTW Reply with quote

SambaUser1M wrote:
My local powder coater frequently does VW wheels and uses RAL 9002. My wheels will be ready Friday, but I don't have anything OG Silver White to shoot them with for a color comparison...

Got pictures??

I am trying to find powder coat white for bumpers and rims to look good with L87 pearl white upper part of bus with light blue on bottom part Confused
Instagram > http://bit.ly/2gHjIOV
Facebook > http://bit.ly/2Q9atMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

Last edited by easy e on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

I saw them thanks but I want to see how difference between 9002 and pearl white L87
Instagram > http://bit.ly/2gHjIOV
Facebook > http://bit.ly/2Q9atMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colm5928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

The colour I used was RAL 7035 which is listed as a light grey.
I compared it to the original paint which was in almost perfect condition hiding behind one of the overrides.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

That looks pretty good!! I think best powder match so far.
I'd be interested to see other pics / lighting next to original paint.

I cropped your bumper picture... so we can see them side by side a little better. I pulled a section of original down to the part of your powdercoated bumper that's not in the glare.

Colm5928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

Only see your reply now, i got the front bumper powder coated since so unfortunately no more original paint comparison.
It looked pretty good in reality, new and a bit more shiny which is to be expected I suppose.
The guy that did the power coating picked out the RAL no. without even looking at the chart. When we then compared it to to the chart it wasn't exactly the same but was at lot closer than the usual suspects previously mentioned (90##). He said that the colour would be a shade lighter than whats on the chart once applied...he was right...I can't explain that, must be down to experience.
I hope this helps and I will upload photos of the bumpers fitted, soon.
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

Haven’t seen anything listed yet but has anyone experimented with L581 Cloud White in a closely matching powder coat? If anyone has got a code to go off of for the powder please comment below.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

Only Bay Window used that on wheels.
Might have super luck asking over there... or do a search of the Bay forum.
I might have been addressed.
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

Just a feedback loop for this thread...

In researching threads on thesamba and other sites, it seemed like the following RAL colors were all used to replicate L82:

My local powdercoater uses all major powder suppliers (Tiger-Drylac, Cardinal, Prismatic, etc), and they had tons of samples. Luckily, since they do large scale production powdercoating and small jobs as well, they stock many powders so special orders aren't required.

I was able to get my hands on all the plates above and compare/contrast between the colors, and compare to my original wheels.

My impressions are as follows, from IMHO least desirable to most...

9018 seemed to have the best value match (light/dark) to the original wheels, but the color is a bid "dead". It definitely errors on the colder side of white, with a bit of a blue cast.

9016 is really a true white-white. Not warm or cool. The powder coater characterized it as one of his whitest whites, and it looks like it. Very bright/loud.

9010 is equally warm to 9002 below, but a step lighter. Too light.

7035 was really interesting. When isolated from the 9000 series RAL colors, it looked "white". When compared to them, it looked like light gray. It seemed to have an appropriate level of warmth. When compared to the original paint, it was close, but definitely a bit darker. I really liked the results from the poster above, but I'm concerned that results may vary and I may get something a touch too dark for my liking. Nice color though.

9002 is fairly close to the original color. It's a bit lighter. It's a rich, warm white. The original paint has a level of warmth as well, but 9002 is a bit warmer. It's a nice color.

In going with 9002, I'm not proclaiming that this is THE match. It's not. It's my preference for my bus. 9002 is a bit lighter than original. Short of a perfect match, it's the best color available for me. I like the richness of the color and if I have to error on a bit lighter or a bit darker, I'm going with a bit lighter. Hopefully some of the images above help others.

I'll have my wheels back in a few weeks and will post results!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699902&highlight=65+barn+find
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

Nice comparison, thanks for doing that and I look forward to some completed pics
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tggwtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

Probably not the right thread, but maybe you can help me.
Is the L82 white of the rims and bumpers the same white of the pop out and safari window frames?
I plan to powder coat the window frames too.

By the way: are the frames of cab door windows in same color as car top or also white?

Thanks for help.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

Safari frame & window frame are body color.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

id'r wrote:
Just a feedback loop for this thread...

In researching threads on thesamba and other sites, it seemed like the following RAL colors were all used to replicate L82:

My local powdercoater uses all major powder suppliers (Tiger-Drylac, Cardinal, Prismatic, etc), and they had tons of samples. Luckily, since they do large scale production powdercoating and small jobs as well, they stock many powders so special orders aren't required.

I was able to get my hands on all the plates above and compare/contrast between the colors, and compare to my original wheels.

My impressions are as follows, from IMHO least desirable to most...

9018 seemed to have the best value match (light/dark) to the original wheels, but the color is a bid "dead". It definitely errors on the colder side of white, with a bit of a blue cast.

9016 is really a true white-white. Not warm or cool. The powder coater characterized it as one of his whitest whites, and it looks like it. Very bright/loud.

9010 is equally warm to 9002 below, but a step lighter. Too light.

7035 was really interesting. When isolated from the 9000 series RAL colors, it looked "white". When compared to them, it looked like light gray. It seemed to have an appropriate level of warmth. When compared to the original paint, it was close, but definitely a bit darker. I really liked the results from the poster above, but I'm concerned that results may vary and I may get something a touch too dark for my liking. Nice color though.

9002 is fairly close to the original color. It's a bit lighter. It's a rich, warm white. The original paint has a level of warmth as well, but 9002 is a bit warmer. It's a nice color.

In going with 9002, I'm not proclaiming that this is THE match. It's not. It's my preference for my bus. 9002 is a bit lighter than original. Short of a perfect match, it's the best color available for me. I like the richness of the color and if I have to error on a bit lighter or a bit darker, I'm going with a bit lighter. Hopefully some of the images above help others.
H
I'll have my wheels back in a few weeks and will post results!

I used 7035 last year and they came out great, very happy. Its not near as grey as the pics above in real light, as suggested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colm5928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

With ral 7035

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: L-82 Silver White Powder Coat - Bumper and Wheel Paint Reply with quote

First, Bus looks good!

Colm5928 wrote:
With ral 7035

It looks to have a grey tint in this photo above but it could be the lighting

Can you post a close-up, maybe near the lower section of the front nose where we can see it against the white of the upper half of the Bus?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: