Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

Greetings! I picked up the 30 pict 3 solex carb and a 205 T distributor at the VW Bugout this past Sunday. Got them for 10 bucks each! I cleaned up the carb and looks brand new. Probably going to send this Tim of Voltzbitz for rebushing. The 205 T needs to be rebuilt too. Found somebody named Glenn Ring who does this kind of work.

I believe this was the original stock mating for the 1970 VW Transporter I have.

Can anybody tell me from experience about this set up? Is worth the trouble and dough to try and get it back to the stock arrangement?

Currently have a 009 clone and the H30 31 carb setup. It is fine but maybe I can get something better for a single port application. Appreciate any feedback!

The Colonel!
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

I would you're on the right track.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

It's definitely worth the time and expense, but not all carbs are created the same, the base number tells you alot: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095
Tim may have the exact match for your bus in his stash and may be willing to trade cores.
Glenn used to avoid aluminum distributors Bill (Wcfvw69) or Tasb might take it on.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen. I am going to proceed. I will let folks know how it turns out.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

That's a great combo (30-3 and 205T) and is correct for a 70' bus. I run a restored 205T and Solex 30-2 carb that were original on my 69 bug. It's a great distributor and many like the 30-3 carb better than than 30-2.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2089924

I restore a lot of the SVA's and have one for sale currently in case anyone else is looking for one too.

Tim @ volkzbitz does great work on the carbs. He's re bushed my German Solex 34-3 and a did a great job.

You're going to love the restored combo on your engine. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

You can't really do better than the factory matched pair that you have there.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

I only have about 50k miles on the 30pict3 and 205t setup. I never get to fix it because it never malfunctions. It always drives smoothly and economically. Startups are quick. Tune up days are lame. It drives the same (politely) in 118° weather and 14° weather. Kinda boring if you ask me.

Cool

(The 30pict3 has an additional "power" or "auxiliary" fuel jet that helps richen the mix at full throttle, which I like for a bus that practically lives at full throttle.)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

I fully endorse this setup as well. Ran it on my 1600SP. Smooth as butter and easy to tune & maintain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

I got the 205 T back from Glenn Ring all shiny and pretty looking. I was going to get this in my 70 Transporter, but then my 70 bug distributor went kaput. I think it is the copper braided ground wire that has all but disintegrated. Going to send that distributor to Glenn Ring too.

So I put the rebuilt 205 t in the bug and wow what a nice ride that has turned into.

In the meantime I pulled out the 009 distributor out of the bus and put in an SVDA with petronix points. I got this from aircoolednet vendor. It turned out very good. The H30/31 carb seems to like it. Engine runs much cooler than the 009. All in all I am enjoying cruising around town in the bug and bus now. Can't remember the last time both were running at the same time.

Still plan to get that 205 t that was in my bug rebuilt and put that in the bus. I have the 30 pict 3 carb freshly redone and ready to go.

I will be interested in seeing how the stock set up matches up against the SVDA/petronix setup.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

I have this carburetor and distributor combination on my '69 camper. In another post somewhere, Robby gave a detailed description of the proper timing method and specs and the reason why it should be detuned from the normal 3500rpm and 28-32º BTDC timing. BusDaddy also had comments on the tuning for this carburetor and distributor combination. I received a small bit of shaming and I've searched TheSamba for their comments, but haven't found the post in which their comments were made.

Aloha
tp
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict 3 Solex Carb and Bosch "205T" 113-905-205T Distributor Reply with quote

Take a look through these
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: