Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS Axle Installation Problem
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: IRS Axle Installation Problem Reply with quote

I just installed new bearings and seals in my rear hubs. I had a really hard time removing the axles on disassembly and now I'm having a problem reinstalling the axles. It's like they a too long(same when I took them off to service the hubs). Am I missing some kind of "trick"? The car is a CMC Speedster which is lowered. I've read everything I can find but nothing addresses a problem like this. If I remove the shocks will the hub assembly drop to give me more room to fit the axles? The car is on jack stands at the torsion tubes.
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Axle Installation Problem Reply with quote

Not a typical problem.
Perhaps you could use a tape measure to measure the length of the axle shaft itself and compare.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: IRS Axle Installation Problem Reply with quote

are the cv's assembled correctly? should be able to put the trans side on them the wheel end on, some care eazy some are messy some are a bitch.i usualy put a zip lock baggie on each end till I have 1 or 2 bolts in it, them tear it off and seat the cv&add the rest of the bolts. I dont like messes or dirty hands.and cant wear gloves....working on any thing.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: IRS Axle Installation Problem Reply with quote

Yes, I didn't disassemble the axles at all so they are just like they've been for the last 25000 miles. I'm thinking it has to do with the car being lowered. It's a 1971 chassis. I'll remove the shocks this evening to see if the hubs will drop enough to allow the axles to fit between the hubs and trans. Everything else has gone well. I assembled the hubs correctly....I'm sure of that. The axles were extremely tight between the hubs and trans when I removed them.
Thanks....I'll report back when I get this figured out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Axle Installation Problem Reply with quote

If you get them reinstalled, slide the axle back and forth in the cv's and make sure there is a little wiggle room left.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Axle Installation Problem Reply with quote

Will do. Thanks.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: IRS Axle Installation Problem Reply with quote

Ok....removed the shocks...hubs dropped just enough to squeeze the axles shafts in. There seems to be plent of side to side movement in the axles.
Thanks.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: IRS Axle Installation Problem Reply with quote

Ive seen some cv's brought in to the shop that were not assembled correctly?? they can be assembled correctly and incorrectly(rong)and the shaft go's in & out but no swivel.....thats a parts breaker right there. but since you didnt disamble thats not your issue...there just kinda snug fitting up there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: