Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have some similar here at work for repairing highway trailers to hold the panels up before we rivet them on. Good amount of pulling force. I will try to load up some pics & price them out.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pomar industries. P/N F119151-1200 3/16"
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Totally off topic, but in one of the pics you barely make out the notch. 😬😬😬😬
Here I am with my freshly rebuilt motor

And the semi finished bike. This bike is going to take me across the desert at the end of the month, in the LA to Barstow to Vegas run. Nothing like a vintage triumph to increase the possibilities of breaking down 100 miles from civilization.

Don't mind the taped on number, hopefully this weekend I will have time to paint it. The next bike on the lift, will be done in the best interest of the notch. The owner is a painter by trade and therefore we are going to trade work. With luck the body will be heading to his shop after Christmas.

Last edited by Jason37 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

So where in damnation did we last leave off? Ah yes, bike building. To get this out of my system, here is the tale of the tape...and I will eventually get to VW related content😎
1st year,

Bike looking the part, too bad the rear wheel locked up on the freeway into Barstow. Final cause? Grenaded alternator jammed the primary chain and clutch hub. No finishing for me.

Year two,

Much better outcome, I finished the ride in Vegas with only a flat tire to slow me down.

Winter after year two,

Completely rebuilt the bike in effort to improve the handling with the main concern being weight loss. The bike tended to snow plié through the sand, so my main area of concern was to lighten the front. Starting out at 415 pounds wet, I was able to get the bike down to 340. Most of the weight was lost in the front end (45lbs) and due to using aluminum parts wherever possible.

Thanks for sticking with me.

This winter is all about the notch. With some parts already arriving in SoCal from Clatter the conversion to a manual will be that much easier. I still think I got the better deal, but I am certain Mrs. Clatter is going to enjoy heat in the fasty.

First step, pull the car out of the corner.

Then start on patching the fender,

3M rolloc disc for clean up. Do both sides

The use your handy dandy profile gauge

Start with flat sheet about two-three inches bigger than what you need and shape it using your English wheel.

Check the contour using the profile gauge, I had to run a couple
More passes, but didn't snap a pic. 😢

Cut to size, I use a magnet to hold the panel in place to mark it. I cut on the line giving me a slight gap for the panel clamps.

Weld slowly. I was hitting four spots every couple of minutes, panel was cool to the touch...and a week later and I still haven't finished the welding, maybe tomorrow night.

The next plan is to finish fitting the engine tin, fan shroud and boot. I have the type IV assembly for this. Then it will be time to go to SoCal and ride across the desert again. When I get back the garage space will open up and the body can come off the pan and then the real fun starts.

Last edited by Jason37 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Awww.. YEAH! the Man is BACK!

Can't wait to see how this goes.
You have far, far, more patience cooling your welds than I have ever seen;
Here I think i'm being all anal having a wet rag in hand..

Popcorn Popcorn

You had a good excuse for being gone - I'll give you that.

You coulda been at an international Beanie Baby show,
Or curating your glamorous Facebook profile.. Smile

I never liked running a bike with no front fender, though.
Yeah, saving weight and all,
But you'll be missing a tooth if you do that for too long.
Puddles suck with no front fender - I speak from experience.
Just learn to shift your weight back.
Isn't that what a p-pad is actually for, after all?
How did these girls somehow get us to think it was for something else? Question Question

Oh, and,
I didn't get that tube in the mail yet.. Embarassed
I'll get that moving along here early next week...

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Glad to see you back at your project and am looking forward to reading up on your progress as admire your fab work.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Clatter,

Thanks! It has been getting hard getting back into the car, but it's a now or never type situation, and the garage gnome wasn't good to me and did nothing on the car for me.

I will be running a front fender if I can get to it before I leave on three weeks. Even with the old front fender, I had a fair share of rocks hit my face. I have since changed up the tires to ones with bigger spaces between the blocks so I haven't had the same pain...err rock flinging experience. I also moved the pegs up and back to shift the weight back.

But I do have a question, fitting tin and the beeast plate, seems really off. I know the case has been cut, but I was expecting it to fit up on the side that hasn't been hacked. Your thoughts?

This is a 1.8l 914 and it could be possible I don't have the correct tin. The cylinder tin is for a 2.0l (which I have, just needs to be gone through...someone's thread is going to come in handy)

And on that note, I am thinking I should just build a 2056 now, and get it over. Also thinking of megasquirt utilizing the stock throttle body... which still has to be procured.

Mont3,

Glad someone likes it! And hopefully someone will learn from it or hopefully correct me when I am doing something wrong as I am self teaching myself all of this.

Last edited by Jason37 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

And for you Clatter. Hopefully, you can make one good one out of both.

Last edited by Jason37 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

More apologies... Been out of town for the least fun vacation ever... Sad

The tin doesn't fit the type 3 because it's not a 914! Laughing

I am actually looking forward to seeing if you have anything innovative to offer.

The decision to completely seal the compartment vs. completely open vs. 1/2 way (like the stock type 3) is a perplexing one for sure...

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116220&p=850272&hilit=best#p850272

What’s That Noise?!?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

But shouldn't it fit tight at the top? If not, I will end up making something.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
But shouldn't it fit tight at the top? If not, I will end up making something.

If you use Bus tin it does.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Ok, it has been just under a year and I would like to say I made a ton of progress and the car is done...but alas, it was pushed over to the side for another bike. So where does that leave us?

The first thing to do was create more space in the garage. When you run out of floor space, the only place left to go is up. One more bike to go and I have gained about 60 sq feet.

Now that the space is freed up, I was able to start on the rear motor mounts. I machined some solid stock to fit up against the bus hanger last year. Parts laid out, ready for welding.

Tigged up, the line is for setting the height.

Then off to the lathe to be parted, and set the engine height. I went a little lower to start with, as I don’t have the RamFlo filters yet.

Used some 911 mounts in place of the stock type three units at the body.

And this where it is sitting at the moment. 2.5” from the bottom of the deck. Might be able to tighten it up some more once the filters arrive.

Last edited by Jason37 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Ok, it has been just under a year and I would like to say I made a ton of progress and the car is done...but alas, it was pushed over to the side for another bike. So where does that leave us?

The first thing to do was create more space in the garage. When you run out of floor space, the only place left to go is up. One more bike to go and I have gained about 60 sq feet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now that the space is freed up, I was able to start on the rear motor mounts. I machined some solid stock to fit up against the bus hanger last year. Parts laid out, ready for welding.

Then off to the lathe to be parted, and set the engine height. I went a little lower to start with, as I don’t have the RamFlo filters yet.

Used some 911 mounts in place of the stock type three units at the body.

And this where it is sitting at the moment. 2.5” from the bottom of the deck. Might be able to tighten it up some more once I order the filters.

Last edited by Jason37 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

UHMM no Photobucket pics to be seen. Crying or Very sad
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Stupid Photobucket.

Just uploaded them to the gallery. Will try to get them fixed shortly.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Been working steadily on the ol girl. Installed Uber rare wooden bumpers straight from the Black Forest.

Testing out the ability of the bumper brackets as a viable means of lifting the body from the pan.

It appears to have worked.

Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

And one other neat thing about auto pans... they have no shift coupler access.

Don’t mind the cuts, area was cut out to fix some rust issues.

So just in case you’re all wondering, I have decided to stop fighting this car and leave the auto in it... plan is still to go with a type iv, but scale back on the cam and go with a little larger displacement.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:

So just in case you’re all wondering, I have decided to stop fighting this car and leave the auto in it... plan is still to go with a type iv, but scale back on the cam and go with a little larger displacement.

Why not find a MT pan, and set your AT pan off to the side. I know I've got 1 (MT pan) leaning against the garage. This would let you continue on with your project the way you had envisioned it. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Jason37 wrote:

Why not find a MT pan, and set your AT pan off to the side. I know I've got 1 (MT pan) leaning against the garage. This would let you continue on with your project the way you had envisioned it. Cool

That was my first thought and I had been searching for some time, but nothing close to here and bringing it across the border causes other issues, as it would be considered parts and therefore not registerable here. Now that wouldn’t be an issue as long as I don’t have to get the car inspected before registering. So the fight was over and the auto won...besides it provides me with the excuse to get another car later!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:

That was my first thought and I had been searching for some time, but nothing close to here and bringing it across the border causes other issues, as it would be considered parts and therefore not registerable here. Now that wouldn’t be an issue as long as I don’t have to get the car inspected before registering. So the fight was over and the auto won...besides it provides me with the excuse to get another car later!

Ah OK, I didn't realize you were in Canada. That makes more sense then.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: