Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
nice detail again . That bump is bolted on the rear cowl and afterwards leaded together on older Hebs. Later cars had it pressed in the rear cowl. The same for the rain gutter. First series was hand made, second was a pressed rain gutter and welded on the rear cowl, last serie was in one piece pressed.
Greetings.

Peter, I always enjoy your analysis of each step of the process. It is a big undertaking and my many friends make it easier along the way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Little more work in the cowl and vents today
This image shows the progression from layout to drilling holes to peening the holes. Then you slit the areas from front to back and fold them over. Just like the factory before they started stamping the cowls in one piece:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Damn nice work. Wish I had a tenth of your ability
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

T2 wrote:
Damn nice work. Wish I had a tenth of your ability

Ambition, lack of finances (ready stamped cowls are so far out of my price range), and heart and soul are my motivation. You could do it too
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:
Little more work in the cowl and vents today
This image shows the progression from layout to drilling holes to peening the holes. Then you slit the areas from front to back and fold them over. Just like the factory before they started stamping the cowls in one piece:

I just have to ask, since I know next to nothing about metal work, how do you manage to bend each vane so perfectly straight with no visible deformity?
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Hi Matt Exclamation . . . I want to know as well Exclamation

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
I just have to ask, since I know next to nothing about metal work, how do you manage to bend each vane so perfectly straight with no visible deformity?

Hacksaw-BoB wrote:
Hi Matt Exclamation . . . I want to know as well Exclamation

To both guys that were wondering about the pressing of the louvers. This is my second attempt at pressing, and the process becomes easier the more I do it.
The process consists of a lower die and an upper die. The lower die is fixed in a vise. The upper die is placed over the area you want pressed, and is struck with a hammer.
The louvers are not consistently the same length, so I made the top die to the shortest length. The longer vanes required a little overlap of the top die when I pressed them.
Difficult to explain without a picture or video.
I guess the best way to describe the straight and uniform vanes is this: Tooling is very important. I spent several hours adjusting the top die so it would produce a clean,
crisp and straight vane
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Super day with many Hebby friends. Checking panels and wood parts on original Hebs. Thanks to Mark Schlachter for letting me put out our panels at the Open house at the new location for Metalkraft Coachwerks

VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Been a busy day transferring measurements to paper. Going to take these
patterns to a metal shop to transfer them into files so they can be laser cut.
The large pattern on top is for the rear seat crossmember.
The smaller pattern below is the rail that goes from the crossmember to the
package tray. The part that holds the two crossmember pieces together is
already on the piece but is hard to see because it is the same color.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

From paper to steel in one day. Lightly tacked together to check the fit

T2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

You should make a few of each part you do for us less talented people to buy. Sign me up. Plus it would help finance your project.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Popcorn

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Popcorn

Going to try to keep up with progress on a weekly basis as I work a full time job during the week. Glad you're enjoying the show.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Snip and check

Paper to plywood:

Finished fitting and ready for installation after a few more details.

T2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Looks like you nailed it. Applause
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

T2 wrote:
Looks like you nailed it. Applause

That's the benefit of having the old gal to test fit the prototype for the rear seat crossmember. My buddy owns the 50 standard and has been restoring it for a few years now. Measurements were taken from a mix of 3 Hebs that were in Cincinnati over the past several years. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to document them with paper templates, pictures and measurements
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Original parts are gold in this hobby. Passenger side hinge cover.

Way out of sequence for the build, but you gotta strike when such a rare part
Is on loan from the owner
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Nice work again Matt.
It is good to have an example. Did you tip the edge with the bead roller or with hand held dolly and hammer? That is how I made them.
The lower reinforcements for the 2 bolt fixing plate is nice. I whould made an extra set, you never know who needs them Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
Nice work again Matt.
It is good to have an example. Did you tip the edge with the bead roller or with hand held dolly and hammer? That is how I made them.
The lower reinforcements for the 2 bolt fixing plate is nice. I whould made an extra set, you never know who needs them Smile

Thanks again Peter. I was able to use a bead roller with a 5 mm (1/4") bottom die and a top die that was maybe 3 mm (1/8") to roll over the edges of the hinge covers. Several passes tipped the hem past 90 degrees and I finished it on a table with a body hammer. Multiple pieces are easy to make as long as the metal supply holds out Wink I try to make the large pieces first, then smaller pieces from the cut offs. And yes, I always try to make extra pieces for those in want or need of them.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

The heater channel to heater tube stiffener:

This is the same die I used to roll the edge of the hinge covers. A 50 ton punch was used to punch out the holes. Then, just roll the edge and cut out the triangle. I have to wait to show a finished pic of the stiffeners. I'm still working out a method to stamp the 2 hole depression.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: