Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cut bellhousing, flip Audi trans, V6tt in a Beetle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Cut bellhousing, flip Audi trans, V6tt in a Beetle Reply with quote

I realize these ideas have been tossed around forever on here but I don't think my specific idea has been. I'd like to take an Audi V6 twin turbo drive train and flip the tranny. I think there were some 5 or 6 speed manuals that came with those, hopefully in 2WD. I'd like to cut the BH off close to the bottom, flip it and weld it back on. I saw a failed attempt to cut only about 1inch off. I'd like to cut it closer to the gear case. I have seen that some have successfully run flipped Audi trannies with an adapter plate.

Another issue, is will that V6 fit in the engine compartment without exterior sheetmetal modifications. Although I would consider a whale tale.

This would be in a 1303 Super Beetle.

Ideas?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut bellhousing, flip Audi trans, V6tt in a Beetle Reply with quote

Wiki says Audi twin-turbo V6 petrol engine made 247 hp and 258 lb·ft of torque.
It seems pointless to butcher a 1303 Super Beetle, or any VW for that matter for so little gain.
Just do this instead

Link

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut bellhousing, flip Audi trans, V6tt in a Beetle Reply with quote

Legit fear! Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cut bellhousing, flip Audi trans, V6tt in a Beetle Reply with quote

To me I see a couple of advantages and disadvantages to an engine swap.

Sure you can modify a VW engine to get that kind of power but you are left with a high strung ticking time bomb that gets poor-ish fuel mileage, needs special fuel and lots of tinkering. Not to mention what it costs to do and difficulty getting parts in a pinch.

With a swap you get factory dependability and engine life at 1/10 of the cost, easy access to parts and service if you need it in a bind.

Oh, and probably a very ugly car with no resale value! Laughing

Each to their own - it's your hobby.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cut bellhousing, flip Audi trans, V6tt in a Beetle Reply with quote

it all depends on you, what you want, what you can do, what you can afford.And what you and your imagination can come up with. no more no less.yes it can be done. if i wished to i could put a 426 blown all aluminum hemi in my bug in a short few days...as in less than a week. any things possible with the $ and brains and imagination .
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut bellhousing, flip Audi trans, V6tt in a Beetle Reply with quote

Their making 267.4 kw. Thats 358.589 hp. That'll move you down the road, They didn't do brakes so, may not stop very well. What did they do for a trans.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: