Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: A.J.Sims
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: June 09, 2011
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
hethen57 wrote:
Someone answers the phone and they take a message, but you never get a call back from Joe, who works on the Kadrons. It is my own fault, AJ seemed like a helpful, knowledgeable, stand-up guy, when he was active on the site about 5 years ago and I should have searched this forum for current feedback. He may still be all of those things, I don't know, but his business customer service, communication, and turn around are all lousy. At this point, I just want him to do the job, but time is not as much of an issue since I have another set of carbs on the way...which I will use on my car when I get my Kadrons back from AJ. I will post back when I finally hear something from them....we are at 10 weeks now and I have seen others in this thread mention a 3-5 month turnaround! We'll see Rolling Eyes

I would ask for the carbs to be sent back and deal with the Kaddie Shack, instead, if I were you. JMO.

Agree, Jeff wants to earn your business. You can have your orders filled in a couple days, not six fukin months. An asset to the community.
hethen57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can now close the loop on my experience with AJ Simms and Low Bugget...and I can confidently say he has the worst business attitude I have ever dealt with and he really gives the impression that he just doesn't give a crap. I tried to give AJ and Joe the benefit of the doubt. I was about a week for two from flying down there to pick up my carbs in person, like the guy from Maryland, not because it made any financial sense, but because they are holding your goods hostage and AJ has this arrogant, not my problem, attitude. His solution is to leave a message for Joe. After 3 months, I received someone else's stock carbs...with loose float bowl screws....after 4 months I received my carbs back (at which point I sent his back)...then discovered he returned mine with a leaky float that wasn't leaky when I sent them down for jetting (I can only guess my float was swapped with someone else's at some point). It initially ran, then dumped gallons of fuel into my crank case as it sat overnight. Leaking oil and gas everywhere. His solution is to go buy a float somewhere else because he doesn't have any and won't get any...really? Isolated incident, or standard practice for a business with this many pages of negative feedback? Send him your carbs at your own peril Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ACKings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Aj is a liar and a thief Reply with quote

Ordered in may, never got anything. Told me i couldnt get a refund but that I had store credit. Promises for months from both aj and joe. THEY SUCK. F low budget. more like low class.
vector52787
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i created a account specifically just to ask this question. I sent my kadrons out to be re built last year. I then spent 6 months trying to get them to do the work and send them back. Eventually i got tired of waiting so i told them to just send them back. They wanted me to pay for return shipping so i sent them a pre paid label. But to this day i have never got my carbs back. I tried seeing if anything i could do legally but its all dead ends. Its been a year and still my car sits there. Is there anyone that has any info on what i can do? Thank you
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeezus....this ^^^^ is ridiculous. I hope you get dialed in man.
Buy a set of dell 36s off samba and smile. Then drive your car down to AJ's pirate pad and walk through the door with your receipt.
Make sure to time it when there is a show or something youd like to go to. Smile

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vector52787
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I am amazed how such a business still exist. Also how useless the law is in protecting consumers. Yeah I probably will just buy some carbs Sad
Alte Blechdose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some Kadron jets and rebuild kits from these guys and they shipped quick and seemed very helpful.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad bought a swing axle freeway flyer from them about a year ago and when we got it in our car we find out that there is half a 12 volt starter bushing that looked like it was held in with liquid weld. The bushing was put in so that the side where it was broken was facing in. Then we send back our old tranny and they never give us back our $200 core charge. I would not recommend them to my worst enemy.
Caleb0101
Mr_Zed_ZX20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Partial turbo kit review Reply with quote

Ok, so I felt I needed to leave some feedback regarding my recent experience with Low Bugget. I purchased a partial turbo kit for a 2021cc turbo manx build last Feb. AJ answered the phone (which took several attempts due to being busy) and we discussed my options and what would best suit me. I ordered the ceramic coating on the header, exhaust side of the turbo, dump pipe, and wastegate pipe. The next day I remembered I wanted the an O2 sensor added to the dump pipe and when I called AJ said that wasn't a problem since the parts wouldn't leave for the ceramic coating for another week and there would be plenty of time to install the sensor bung. I called in March to inquire on the status of my order and I was told the turbo was sitting in a box minus the exhaust housing and AJ didn't know why since he doesn't handle the shipping side of things. It was assumed that some issue may have come about with the fact that I wasn't getting the carbon seal on the turbo since I'm doing a blow through setup and that isn't common for them, but that shouldn't take more that a few days to remedy. Early April I received a call from a man named Tom who works for Low Bugget and wanted to verify my address prior to shipping. So far so good, I received the header well packaged and free of any scratches or dings, but the exhaust side of the turbo was not ceramic coated nor was there an O2 sensor installed. Before deciding to call about the coating and sensor bung I wanted to make sure the header fit and noticed there was a problem with the flanges not mating up in a few areas. Shortly after receiving the goods I checked the Samba to see if others had similar issues with the turbo header and I got a sick feeling to my stomach as I felt like I just got scammed and it was my fault for not doing my homework. To say I felt like crap was an understatement.

Here is where the story takes a turn for the better. A couple of days after I received my parts I got a call from Tom again asking if I was happy with my order. To say I was surprised by this is an understatement as I can't say this has happened with any other vendor I've dealt with. Tom and I talked for a bit about my order and he said he'd get back to me in a couple days. Sure enough, I got a call from Tom and he verified that I did pay for the ceramic coating on the turbo, but not for the install of the O2 sensor (AJ never updated the invoice). Within the week I received a package with the replacement exhaust housing and a call tag paying for return shipping. Tom managed to get AJ to agree to give me a V-band clamp and a metal turbo to header gasket for the delays and troubles.

As for the turbo header, I sent Tom pictures of the flanges that didn't line up (#2 primary disconnect and #1 primary J-tube disconnect). The #2 disconnect has approximately 5/16" gap between. Tom promptly sent me a set of exhaust flanges that matched the shape of the ones used on the header to take up the gap. Tom offered to have them ceramic coated to match the header, but I declined as I wasn't that worried about it. Besides, I had a feeling that I would have to sand the flanges nice and flat to ensure a good fit. The #1 disconnect was more of a problem as it appears as if the flange was welded on crooked in relation to the end of the tube which made it out of alignment with the opposing flange. AJ's solution was to use the bolts to pull the flanges together as this is a common problem. Not sure I agree with this, but we'll see when I get to this point on my engine build. I can probably put a slight kink in the tube to better align the flanges, but again we'll see.

In regards to the O2 bung, Tom said he could swap out the dump pipe for one with an O2 bung, but it would take approx. two weeks and be at my expense plus shipping both ways. Makes sense as I didn't pay for it to begin with, but it did irritate me that I requested it in my order. I'll just get it done at a later date and deal with the ceramic coating blemish.

Overall, I want to say my experience wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been. In fact, Tom made all the difference and the remaining issues with the header alignment I can chalk up to the fitment found on one size fits all parts. I believe AJ has started to realize that he needed to bring on more competent help as his business was growing beyond his control. If Tom continues to work with AJ I believe Low Bugget will be return to the status we all wish it to be.

And while I'm at it, the turbo is a T3/T4 twin scroll with a nicely polished housing. Down the road if the turbo is still in good condition, I'm going to remake the the header to take advantage of twin scroll turbo. This should help greatly with spool up since my engine is a bit on the small side for this turbo. The wastegate is a nice piece too, and should work well. Hope this helps the next guy looking for feedback.
Bobbyjr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Lowbudget.com Reply with quote

Ok so bought a turbo kit from these clowns. Was told 3-6 weeks. Well its now 4 months. These people lie so bad its not funny. Nasty!!!! The tell me when they get my stuff then ill get it. They answer phone after 30 phone calls a day. Its all paid for. They tell me they have my turbo, intake, but waiting for a part for my carb ( that i ordered 4 months ago) . These people should be out of business. Not a good company at all. I live in ny and im about to fly there and see how they run their mouths.
purdysd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey don't feel bad. I wrestled with him on a new 2275 motor that was supposed to take a "couple of months" and took almost 8 months. Then when I got the whole thing installed, I pre-oiled it, then spun it over with great oil pressure.. started it up and did a cam break-in procedure.. shut it down and re-torqued everything, started it back up the next day and IT LASTED 20 MINUTES BEFORE THE OIL PUMP DROPPED AN ALUMINUM BLOCKOFF PLUG INTO THE GEARS AND SEIZED THE MOTOR!!! They didn't even use Locktite sleeve compound on the plug, of course they COULD have used a oil pump that was already configured for full flow oiling, but they use the cheapest method. Here's the kicker.. he' not even willing to stand by his build. I sent him photos of the mashed oil pump and sheared gear, and his reaction was "well we'll have to have the engine here to see it. (I live in New York, so guess what the freight charges would be) I've never dealt with such ass before, he's a lousy engine builder, with NO conscience, and I would NEVER deal with him again, and I suggest you all do the same.
BMAN130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at their header, but I don't wanna deal with the ish you guys are going through

thanks for the reviews folks!

bug pack = empi and A1 is out of my budget... back to the drawing board
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected] Reply with quote

I ordered a turbo kit from lowbugget around 2005, before there was even a feedback thread for them. I keep seeing forum questions about their work and service. So, I'll post my experience here and keep it short.

If you like calling a shop all the time and getting "pillow talk" to get you all warm and fuzzy about all things VW, AJ is your guy. After 6 months, I got the excuse that the first header came out "bad", so they started over. Then, next time I called, it was "oh, I had to fire my employee sorry I'm behind". At around 10 months I threatened a credit card charge back, so AJ said it would be shipped next week.....

Well, I counted the days, and when I didn't see it I got in my car and drove about 500 miles and walked in the shop door. I told him who I was, and he pulls out a big box with my name and the WRONG shipping address on a UPS label that was undeliverable and obviously shipped back. Is it so hard to call me? Overall, I felt like I was getting ripped off. What a POS.

STAY AWAY

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitwindowsyndicate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected] Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Opened up my rebuilt carbs from lowbugget and found used needle and seats and damaged casting.

Called them and got poor reply, will never buy from them again. This took over three months?
67 Kombi
77 911
99 Ducati 900SS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dreed7235
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected] Reply with quote

I called to purchase a turbo motor and trans and was sold on it will take no longer than 6 months and you will have it. It took over two years. He wouldn't talk on the phone and it seemed like there was someone new answering the phone each time I called. No one there knew when my engine would be done. Finally after catching him on the phone one day when he was at the shop, I demanded a refund since it had been two years since I placed the order. He told me at first that he would not give me a refund, but after a long conversation agreed to giving me a refund minus 20% for his troubles. He then promised me he would finish it right now. I had the engine and trans a couple of weeks later. All in all I would NEVER trust anything AJ or anyone in his employ tells you. They are in way over their heads and make promises they cant keep just to make a buck. One of his workers who he fired shortly after apologized and told me that AJ could get your engine done if he was ever here. He said he is too busy racing and working on his own car to finish his already paid for work.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected] Reply with quote

Has anyone ordered one of AJs new FITECH turbo setups? I'm interested but want to know how well the efi is setup out the box as described on his website and also how quickly you received the product after shelling out upwards of $2k.
mf1274
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected] Reply with quote

Don’t buy anything from AJ from low bugget. He is a great salesman/ talker but is full of it. I ordered a turbo/FI motor from him at the sum of almost 13k. Took over 2.5 years to get it. I Was told bull shit after more bull shit, excuses and everything under the sun why it was taking so long, and to let you know he wants a big chunk of the money upfront, so then he builds it at his convenience. After he finally called it was done and was gonna ship it,it was another month and half, again was told all this bull shit, but yet he alway posting shit on Facebook he is doing this and that but not doing what people payed money for. I was told he was building a heavy duty pallet with extra reinforcements to make sure the motor was ok, sounds good right, well when I got the motor it was on a pallet with plywood around it so you could not see anything, after taking the plywood off the motor was falling through the bottom of the pallet. He used a cheep patter and put looks like cardboard under the motor. Well needless to say the ceramic coated header is now all scratch up,the cylinder tins that were powder coated are all scratched up from the board he put on the top to hold it, one valve cover and bale is gone fell off and went through the bottom of the pallet, the crank pulley is all scratched up. So after finding all this I contacted AJ at least 4 times before he responded back. He does not answer the phone and hardly ever answers emails. His voice mail is ridiculous to listen to. You almost get the feeling when you call to watch out! After finally receiving a email back He told me he would contact the shipper as I payed for shipping and insurance and he would get back to me. I waited a week and did not hear from AJ so I started emailing again every day for several days before I heard back and was told more BS. He told me That it take up to 30 days for a claim. So I asked for the shipping company’s info and called my self. Well they told me there is nothing they could do as I was not the shipper and AJ was informed of what he had to do and has done nothing. So after speaking with the shipping company I started calling and emailing AJ again, after several days of not hearing from him, so I decided to posted something on his face book page, as he is always posting shit on there, I started out the post with let see how fast I get a response or this gets deleted, well It was not even 30 sec after I posted it my phones ringing from him,he started screaming at me that how can I do that and slander him, he then delete the post and defriended me. I said well at least now I can find out what going on with damage. He asked for picture again for the 3rd time of me sending them to him, so I sent them all again. And the Waite began again. After a week or more I started calling and emailing him and after multiple emails he emailed me back that he is tired of the runaround from the shipping company and he is gonna bring them to court. I was like ok well that’s not my problem. I payed you for a motor and received it all damaged. What are you gonna do. He tells me he would send out new replacement parts. So I waited again for weeks. Started emailing again. He responded back for me to send all the damaged parts and he would take care of it, so I asked him who is paying to take it all apart and the shipping. Well I have not heard a word from him since. I have emailed him several time about it and have heard nothing. I am sure he got the money from the insurance company on the claim. So please do your self a favor stay far away from AJ Simms at lowbugget. And please pass this to all your other vw friends. He need to be put out of business. This is not. The first time he screwed someone. Look around on here and online. BBB has complaints www.rippedoffonline.com has a bunch of complaints. Basically everything that happened to me.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected] Reply with quote

It’s a shame that as of 11/2019 people are still having issues with AJ Simms. He seems to have a great product line. I diffinitely might be interested in his blow-thru Fitech turbo setup if he would post some pixs with his detailed description of what you receive for $3999.
Unfortunately I’m on the East coast & AJ is on the West coast & it sounds like unless you’re right around the corner from his shop you’re taking a big chance sending him $$$.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected] Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
It’s a shame that as of 11/2019 people are still having issues with AJ Simms. He seems to have a great product line. I diffinitely might be interested in his blow-thru Fitech turbo setup if he would post some pixs with his detailed description of what you receive for $3999.
Unfortunately I’m on the East coast & AJ is on the West coast & it sounds like unless you’re right around the corner from his shop you’re taking a big chance sending him $$$.

Be better off piecing together the parts yourself..
mf1274
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected] Reply with quote

Stay away from him. Trust me! He knows all the loopholes in order to screw your so you can’t do anything about getting your money back! I have been round and round with my credit card company and since it was so long ago they can’t do anything about it. He takes your money and give you excuse after excuse. Charged me for parts to that I never got, won’t answer calls won’t answer emails. Call his phone number and listen to his message, you will get a real good feeling of how AJ operates. Call Rodney Adams. He builds Awsome stuff and is very helpful and honest. Not like AJ. AJ is a piece of shit that need to be shut down! I’m hoping if enough people know how big of a scammer he is he will close up!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: