Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake light switch wiring w/ two prong, identification help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagevoudoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Brake light switch wiring w/ two prong, identification help Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am in need of help. I cannot tell what the correct wiring configuration is. I have cross referenced my Bentley which by the way does not have 69 wire diagram in the "69" manual, but I digress, I also have the green and yellow Hayes manual still no luck. I have print outs from the archives. But if you look closely you can see my dilemma. I have brake light switches with TWO prongs.

Wire colors

1 spade -Red
1 spade -Blue
1 spade -Blk red
1 spade -blue wire and black wire
1 spade -black wire and blk red wire
1 spade -two blk wires

The wiring diagram that came with harness is a joke. Need your help. Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch wiring w/ two prong, identification help Reply with quote

Your '69 Bug originally had a brake master cylinder with a pair of two prong brake light switches and a single two prong warning light switch, the wiring for which can be seen in the schematic here: 68/69 Beetle wiring

Since the original three switch master cylinders went the way of the dodo, chances are quite good you now have a two switch master and you'll need to change your brake switches to the three prong type and modify the brake switch and warning light wiring to mimic the later models as shown here: 70/71 Beetle wiring
vintagevoudoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch wiring w/ two prong, identification help Reply with quote

Ahhhh. Makes sense. Thanks for this. I will look into making the switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch wiring w/ two prong, identification help Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_6869.jpg

link above for wire diagram from archives on samba

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
vintagevoudoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch wiring w/ two prong, identification help Reply with quote

Thank you blue, looking at it now. mukluk's explanation filled in the gaps of why mine is different as I thought it all was original.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: