Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klinger74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

I've tried the search function, but no one seems to have this issue. I was driving to work this morning (about 60-65 on the highway) and my brake warning light came on for a few seconds then went out, all by itself. Those 2 seconds felt like longer, though, let me tell you. Brakes weren't applied, oil pressure was good on gauge (brake warning light seems to flicker with the oil psi light, but oil light stayed off in addition to the good gauge reading). Did this a couple more times before getting off the expressway.

Drove the rest of the way to work on side roads (about 12 miles) because the rain this morning was causing massive traffic on the expressway, and the light continued to do this intermittently. Once it came on and stayed while driving, but a touch of the brake pedal turned it off (and it stayed off for a bit). Once or twice it would flash really quick when first hitting the pedal, but I could barely catch it in those instances. No consistency in any occurrence in either situation; I could go a few times between lights with nothing, then during the next mile it would come on then go back out while cruising down the road.

Front discs (no adjustment), just readjusted the rear drums last week (light started to come on and fade out before this during apply; adjusted the brakes and that problem went away). Brakes feel fine, no different than they've been. I'm thinking one of the brake switches is starting to go? They're new (only 4k miles on them), but who knows how good they are. Or maybe a short somewhere? Just way to intermittent/random to be able to replicate the issue so far, and no other signs of brake system failure, which makes my first thought an electrical glitch.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

Yeah, if touching the brake pedal makes it go out, or makes it flicker, I would say the brake switches are suspect. What brand are they? If they are cheap FLAPS type Chinese switches those have been known to wreak havoc.
See if you can get someone to follow you around as you drive the car and watch if the brake lights flicker or do not operate correctly as well- that would ensure it is the brake switches, although being dual circuit the lights may still operate correctly while the dash light does not.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

I too suspect the brake light switches. Intermittens are difficult to trouble shoot. I can bet you have 3 prong switches.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

Make sure you wear safety gloves looking for your intermittens
Klinger74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

Yes, dual 3 prong switches, so the brake lights are probably still fully functional. Sorry, I forgot to mention that previously.

Unfortunately, I think the switches are the cheapies. I sold an old junk engine and set of spray-bombed bumpers to a used VW parts dealer near work. His daughter runs the Parts Place, Inc in Warren, MI, so I sold him the parts cheaper than I wanted to if he could also get me 2 new brake switches shipped to my door for free. Seemed like a conveniently good deal at the time (rather than pay for shipping on a small order). Likely they gave me the cheapest ones they had, which is another reason I suspect they're the culprit. Probably gonna order OEM ones and swap them. I guess as long as that's all it is, I don't have to panic.

Is there anywhere I should avoid for the OEM switches? Like, places that have them labeled OEM but aren't? Or I guess, who's usually safe to go to? (I'd prefer to have multiple options in case I decide to get other stuff, too). Thanks!
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

You only want FTE or ATE brand specified switches, they're as good as it gets these days. OEM only descriptions don't mean much these days with some vendors.

Bughaus is a fav retailer of mine, they sell either FTE or ATE as do other vendors.
http://www.bughaus.com/beetle42.htm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klinger74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

birddog1 wrote:
You only want FTE or ATE brand specified switches, they're as good as it gets these days. OEM only descriptions don't mean much these days with some vendors.

Bughaus is a fav retailer of mine, they sell either FTE or ATE as do other vendors.
http://www.bughaus.com/beetle42.htm

Thanks Birddog, I'll look into those when I get a chance. I want to first look around and see if anything's grounding out before going that far. Last night it would occasionally flicker going over a series of bumps in the road (but not always), flashing once as it hit each bump. Not ruling out the switches, but with a 40 year old harness that's been removed from one vehicle and reinstalled in another, there could be a pinched wire somewhere. I inspected it thoroughly before putting it in (literally cleaned and inspected every square inch of it), but I may have missed something, or it may have chaffed during/after installation.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

Klinger74 wrote:
I was driving to work this morning (about 60-65 on the highway) and my brake warning light came on for a few seconds then went out, all by itself. Those 2 seconds felt like longer, though, let me tell you. Brakes weren't applied, oil pressure was good on gauge (brake warning light seems to flicker with the oil psi light, but oil light stayed off in addition to the good gauge reading).

Please clarify what you are saying here... when the brake warning light flickers while driving does the oil pressure warning light ALSO flicker? If it does, this is significant.
In '74 VW wired the oil pressure switch to BOTH the OIL lamp in the speedo AND the brake warning lamp (some other years used the GEN lamp). When you first turn the ignition key to the RUN/ON position (before starting engine) this will TEST the OIL and Brake Warning bulbs. This is by design. Does your brake warning lamp turn ON before you start the engine?
If, while driving, the two warning lamps come on at the same time it would suggest the problem is in the oil pressure switch wiring. A loose wire or a cut in the wiring could allow the green/red OIL lamp wire to short to ground. Or it could be a bad oil pressure switch below the distributor. Either of these causes would light the OIL and brake warning lamps even if there was good oil pressure (good oil pressure doesn't mean your oil pressure switch hasn't failed).
I'm not sure if you can disconnect the brake warning lamp from the OIL pressure switch. You'd have to check if the green/red wire can be removed from the lamp assembly. Doing this would eliminate the oil switch as a cause. If the problem continued you would know it is NOT the oil lamp circuit.

Klinger74 wrote:
because the rain this morning... and the light continued to do this intermittently.

Once more, this leads me to believe the problem may be a short in the OIL light wiring. Water entering into the engine compartment or even behind the dash could short the green/red OIL lamp wire to ground and cause both warning lamps to turn ON.

Klinger74 wrote:
Once it came on and stayed while driving, but a touch of the brake pedal turned it off (and it stayed off for a bit). Once or twice it would flash really quick when first hitting the pedal, but I could barely catch it in those instances. No consistency in any occurrence in either situation; I could go a few times between lights with nothing, then during the next mile it would come on then go back out while cruising down the road.

As suggested it COULD be a problem with the brake switches, but here is why I hesitate to go in this direction....
A failure of the brake switches would cause the brake warning light to turn ON, but should NOT cause the OIL lamp to turn ON.
For the brake warning lamp to be lit by the brake switches two conditions must be met:
    1) One of the brake switches must close sending power to the rear brake lights. This is normally done when you press the brake pedal and the pressure in the MC closes the contacts sending current into the red/black brake light wire.
    2) The other brake switch must remain in its idle position. At rest, the brake switch connects the red brake warning lamp wire to the red/black brake light wire. This basically makes the brake warning lamp a 3rd brake light.

Since you mention the brake still work and feel the same we know there isn't a physical failure in the brakes. But it is possible for a brake switch to fail. A failed brake switch could meet condition #2 above.
But you also mention this happens even when you are NOT touching the brakes. This means the other brake switch would need to have a different type of failure. It would need to turn ON even when there was no pressure in the brake MC. So that means two different brake switch failures on two different brake switches. That is a stretch.

For this reason I'm inclined to think it could be an OIL lamp wire short. A cut in the wire could randomly short to ground. If you tap the brake enough that the momentum moves the wires and pulls it off ground it could explain why stepping on the brakes turns the light OFF.

But if your OIL light is NOT coming on at the same time brake warning lamp flickers... then the failed switches are more likely. Check that there is free play between the brake push rod and the MC. No free lay could keep pressure in the MC and cause the brake switches to close even when not pressing the brake pedal.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Klinger74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

What I meant was, like you said, when the oil light comes on, so does the brake lamp. I typically only see the brake warning light right before it stalls and the oil PSI drops off, along with the oil psi light.

However, in THIS case, the oil light stays off when the brake light comes on, leading me to believe it's something in the brake circuit. Brake pedal free play good; I fixed that when I overhauled the brake system. I don't know about the brake light coming on during start-up, as the parking brake is always set.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

Klinger74 wrote:
However, in THIS case, the oil light stays off when the brake light comes on, leading me to believe it's something in the brake circuit.

I would have to agree.

Klinger74 wrote:
I don't know about the brake light coming on during start-up, as the parking brake is always set.

That is fine too. Both the OIL lamp and the parking brake switch ground the brake warning light to turn it ON. You can just drop the parking brake the next time you jump into the driver's seat before starting the engine. The brake warning lamp should remain ON as long as the OIL light is ON.

Can you confirm if BOTH the OIL and brake warning light turn ON if you set the hand brake WHILE the engine is running? I thought ONLY the brake warning light turns ON if the parking brake is still ON while the engine is running? Maybe the parking brake switch is another spot to check... make sure the parking brake switch is not grounding the wire while the parking brake is down.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Klinger74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Brake Warning light while driving Reply with quote

Started it with the parking brake down; brake warning came on and went out with Oil light. With the parking brake handle up while running, only the brake warning light comes on. Parking Brake switch definitely turning off with the lever down.

It hasn't come on the past few days; strange. Granted, hasn't been raining nearly as heavy as it was the 2 days the issue showed up. I'll see what happens, if it comes back on with good weather yet, or if it starts acting up again in the heavy rain. Maybe some water splashed up on the switches themselves and pooling in the terminals. Rubber connector boots are 41 years old (harness out of a '76), so they're probably not 100% water-tight anymore. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: