Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

windshield best place to buy one that actually fits.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

I've now ordered two windshields and broke two windshields.
I had the last one installed except for the rubber seeded in one corner and broke it.
Extremely frustrating, all the glass I installed but keep breaking windshields. All glass is original except for windshield so now I'm thinking maybe its the windshield and not the installation. So I wanna buy a know good quality windshield and try that.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

Probably a used one from the classifieds on here?

Post your Bus year so others can help you find something.

Edit: Looking at your other posts, I think it's a 78.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

Have a glass shop install it. $50.00 and if they break it they will have to replace it, + it wont leak.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

Ditto, learned decades ago to have the glass shop order it and install, worth the extra bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

$250ish total from Safelite, windshield, install, etc. No complaints!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

here's the rub....

every clear (that is, not shade line aka "tint band") windshield I have used lately has need to be ground to fit.

thankfully, my glass guy is outstanding. I almost punched him in the throat when he said I welded the lower channel incorrectly. I bet him a free windshield that my old one (pitted, but no cracks) would snap in.

needless to say, I got a free glass out of it. I did pay him, as he was here 2 hours grinding and test fitting and felt bad that that he was here for what should have been a 10 minute job

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

First time with glass shop I carried an original German windshield with me, useless for install very pitted and scratched but was sized correctly, that way the glass shop could do a match up and wet grind as needed. Out of four wind shields, different buses, only one required a little adjusting. If you have the original, even cracked, take it with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

I got my new windshield from Safelite. The glass has a greenish tint (not the shade band) that I could never really notice.. He was by himself, so my neighbor gave him a hand. The windshield fits well and doesn't leak. He put in my rear side windows for another $20. He had a lot more trouble with those, but he did them himself.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

I've already got $350 in broken glass so I think you guys are right. I'm just going to pay someone whatever and be done with it why I'm behind. At least I got all my og glass installed without breaking it I guess.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

Here is my experience from the first week of this month. I am very happy with this!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8573470#8573470
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

If you have a link to the assembly line video of them smacking them in with rubber mallets, I would very much like to see it and show it to my friend so we can watch it and be like wtf.
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

I just did this install last weekend. PGW still makes the non-shaded, and do not require grinding.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

avoll wrote:
If you have a link to the assembly line video of them smacking them in with rubber mallets, I would very much like to see it and show it to my friend so we can watch it and be like wtf.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7711879#7711879

Yeah. I just about shit when I saw how that dude was with the mallet.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

ChipWrecked wrote:
I just did this install last weekend. PGW still makes the non-shaded, and do not require grinding.

you got lucky. of the 4 I had installed, 3 needed the corners profiled. same glass used here. I dunno if I got a bad run of them or what...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

From various vehicles, suppliers of glass, and mainly, the rubber/seals used, there can be some tedious variances that cause headache with install.
A boogered pinch weld, a crappy seal that stretches instead of flexing, the thickness of glass (China, which is almost all of it) has steadfast differences from batch to batch it seems, along with the techniques used to get things in.

Glass is a very strong and forgiving material, and as seen in the assembly shots, you can really get in there and work it, it will forgive you, as long as you know where to apply even pressure.

I do believe that a auto glass man invented the donkey kick, sometimes you really have to slap that thing in, I know I did a couple days ago with the side window.

If you’re able to, always get a quality seal, believe it or not, there is a difference between a $15 seal versus $30.

Please note, that I have broken numerous units throughout the years, I’ve come to find out that Sigla glass is very strong, but things can happen, and they will happen, it’s just a matter of being logical, patient, and taking necessary precautions.

For future reference, lube that stuff up! I personally like the Klein wiring lube, the stuff that’s gel like, used for snaking or plumbing wiring. Just my two cents, on a penny Monday.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

My regular pro just cracked one on install, even after it was matched to OG unit. We waited for a really warm day to do the second try and it was a 90 minute fight. That was also a China PGW . Its very tricky and I would never attempt it..I do all other glass in house w/o too much hassle.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

I have bought and installed about 4 of the FW 00201 non-banded (though slightly tinted) windshields for about $100 from Speedy Glass, and have never had a problem with them going in. No modifications necessary.

Well, I take that back. I did try the mallet technique on one, and was hammering on the rubber only. I missed the rubber on one blow, hit the glass, and put a single crack in it that I decided to live with for awhile. But that was my fault.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield best place to buy one that actually fits. Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I have bought and installed about 4 of the FW 00201 non-banded (though slightly tinted) windshields for about $100 from Speedy Glass, and have never had a problem with them going in. No modifications necessary.

Well, I take that back. I did try the mallet technique on one, and was hammering on the rubber only. I missed the rubber on one blow, hit the glass, and put a single crack in it that I decided to live with for awhile. But that was my fault.

I just installed the FW 00201 (banded, cuz I'm 5'2 so I don't have the same issues as most). Fits nicely, too longer to put the seal on the glass than it did to put the glass in the bus.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: