Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baulking under load
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

I will have to bow down to your knowledge here as I am fairly new to beetles and never had to go into the engine bay other than oil checks etc
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

That carburetor appears to be leaking a fair amount of fuel from a few different locations including the ends of the throttle shaft -- add a vacuum leak and mixture problems to the list.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

d123456789p wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The white cylindercal thing in the picture, on the left, where a coil is typically found is?????

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Hi
That white cylindrical thing is the coil, looks like it has the remnants of a label on it.
Looks like there are a few things to address over the winter!!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Is the carburetor touching the alternator? Hard to tell from this angle.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

It does look that way from the angle the photo was taken but thats all it is
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Read through Speedy Jim's steps on troubleshooting a no start condition. I know your engine starts, but it may help isolate a problem in your spark or fuel delivery.
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm

If you are asking this forum what could be the problem I'm guessing you are trying to fix it yourself. This is great! But to do common maintenance on the old cars you will need a small collection of tools. This will include a timing light and a tach/dwell meter. Beg/borrow a strobe timing light and check your idle timing and as you raise the rpms you should see the timing marks rotate CCW as the timing advances.

Another thing you can do to isolate a problem... rev the engine to around 2000rpm and one at a time remove the four spark plug wires from the distributor cap (use insulated pliers to hold the wire). This should show you two things... as you pull the wire away from the distributor cap with the engine running at 2000rpm you should see the spark jumping between the cap and the end of the plug wire. As you pull far enough away the engine sound should change as one spark plug has stopped firing. If you find that removing the plug wire for one cylinder makes no difference in the engine sound, you have found a dead cylinder. This could be the cause of your hesitation.

Post the make/model# of your carb and distributor. The carb info is on the left of the fuel bowl. I can see the stampings in your pic but cannot make out the model#. The distributor model#s are usually on the front side so you may need a mirror to read them.
When you get your timing light, post the warmed up idle timing of your distributor with the vacuum hose disconnected from the distributor vacuum can and plugged w/ a golf tee, pencil or screw.

One other thing that could be causing your problem... if the choke butterfly is stuck closed your engine could be starving for air. After the engine is warmed up, make sure the choke butterfly at the top of the carb is vertical to allow full air flow.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Great info....thanks

I am having to go off to work for the next 3 weeks so will have to try once I return.
I will post findings/successes after that time

Cheers
Dave
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

d123456789p wrote:
Great info....thanks

I am having to go off to work for the next 3 weeks so will have to try once I return.
I will post findings/successes after that time

Cheers
Dave

Cheers big ears

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: