Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me tune to pass emissions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Looking thru my pics...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The slot is off 225deg. So now that I've flipped the disti around 180, I'm off only 45, which is actually not a bad position as there enough rotation space both ways.

So my question remains - is there a downside (technically) to flipping the orientation the way I did by turning around the upper shaft? If there isn't, it sure beats hammering that pin out to turn the drive 180deg.

Now, that the engine is running reasonably well, I need to attend to the brakes which don't work well, pull slightly and pulsate.

Byas

The only real problem with having the orientation wrong is if you have a distributor that has retarded timing on the #3 cylinder, AND the mark on the distributor body for the #1 cylinder doesn't line up near the actual #1 spark plug wire. If both of those conditions apply, then you would be retarding the timing on the wrong cylinder, but I'm not sure if VW even made a distributor with retarded timing on the #3 cylinder for the dual port engines.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

Getting all the tins, seals, and grommets is on my list of to-dos. The rear engine seal install will have to wait until I do the body work as the channel had rotted off.

My aim is to get it to a similar condition to my 71 vert --

Byas
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

Getting all the tins, seals, and grommets is on my list of to-dos. The rear engine seal install will have to wait until I do the body work as the channel had rotted off.

My aim is to get it to a similar condition to my 71 vert --

Byas
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I picked up a 65 Ghia this week which came with a later DP (likely 1600) engine, I need to get it tuned up right to pass the basic idle smog test.

I plan to tune the car tomorrow starting with setting the valve clearances.

The carb is a Bocar 34pict3. The distributor is a 211905205S with an SVDA vac can with the number 309 stamped on the arm.

The crank pulley is 6.75" (smaller than the 7" stock one on my 71 vert) and has one mark on it.

I'm trying to determine the timing specs for this setup.

As you can see in the pic, the vac can was stupidly connected to both the advance and the retard ports. But, the tube had pulled off on the retard side. It did run, but must have been tuned rich to compensate for the air leak (?).

I've replaced the carb for now with a rebuild German Solex 34pict3 (vw325_2) that was running well on my 71 vert.

According to a pdf chart I found on this site, the 205S distributor should come with a 461 stamped vac can with 8-12 deg of advance. I've not found any reference on a 309 can, but that's what's on there. Any idea what the specs are for a 309 can?

I'd like to know what setting I should time the car to -- 0deg TDC or 7.5 deg BTDC? Which year/s used this smaller crank pulley? What is the marking likely to be? TDC? other? (I'll try to use the pencil method to find tdc and measure for myself tomorrow, but confirmation would be good).

Oldvolkshome data suggests that the 205S is a substitute for the 205Q, but the latter is listed as a DVDA, while the PDF and the current config on my sample make the 205S out to be an SVDA disti.

Thanks!
Byas

If it's just idle test then try pulling 2 plug wires and that'll drop the emissions.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

whow!! thats one clean nice looking motor in your red car, You have set a high standard. thanks for sharing the photo, now I got to start cleaning up my engine!!!!

good luck with the smog

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
If it's just idle test then try pulling 2 plug wires and that'll drop the emissions.

Not hardly - unburned hydrocarbons will be through the roof !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:

I'm taking a wild guess that Mr. Volks Wagen was making a joke or being sarcastic...!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:

I'm taking a wild guess that Mr. Volks Wagen was making a joke or being sarcastic...!

No, jayzus I missed that HC reference totally. I've not been thinking right today since passing a massive breached turd following a pretty brutal chilli con carne I ate last evening out of a tin cos the wife was late home yesterday. I think it was the bread, cheese, banana, joghurt and half a pack of choco chip cookies I ate down on top of it must have compacted the lot.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:

No, jayzus I missed that HC reference totally. I've not been thinking right today since passing a massive breached turd following a pretty brutal chilli con carne I ate last evening out of a tin cos the wife was late home yesterday. I think it was the bread, cheese, banana, joghurt and half a pack of choco chip cookies I ate down on top of it must have compacted the lot.

Laughing ROFLAMAO!!!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:

Just put the spark plugs at the end of the exhaust.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

Very Happy sneak a little CAT in there and the tester will look to see if the probe fell out- worked on my Fiat after it was labeled a Gross polluter.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Very Happy sneak a little CAT in there and the tester will look to see if the probe fell out- worked on my Fiat after it was labeled a Gross polluter.

Someone here in Arizona had a universal type catalytic converter welded up so he could bolt it to his header for the yearly emission test, and passed all the time. Then he returned home and removed it and installed the exhaust.

Great testing program here, goes back to 1967 year, but only in 2 counties.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

No testing here on anything older than 25 years old. If it doesn't pass emissions then wait a few years and it won't need to.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
No testing here on anything older than 25 years old. If it doesn't pass emissions then wait a few years and it won't need to.

Arizona - those 2 largest counties - originally exempted vehicles over 14 years old. So my 2 VWs and my 1979 Toyota truck were completely exempt.

Then Arizona changed the law, had to scamper and add an air pump to that truck, it didn't have one. Had to have an air pump there, whether it operated or not !
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:

The only real problem with having the orientation wrong is if you have a distributor that has retarded timing on the #3 cylinder, AND the mark on the distributor body for the #1 cylinder doesn't line up near the actual #1 spark plug wire. If both of those conditions apply, then you would be retarding the timing on the wrong cylinder, but I'm not sure if VW even made a distributor with retarded timing on the #3 cylinder for the dual port engines.

I just ran a low mileage 1972-1973 113905205AN DVDA on my distributor machine. It showed #3 cylinder lobe was retarded 3*. That surprised me.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
David_nc_72std wrote:

I just ran a low mileage 1972-1973 113905205AN DVDA on my distributor machine. It showed #3 cylinder lobe was retarded 3*. That surprised me.

Me too, tell us more Shocked One single case?, or a trend?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me tune to pass emissions Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
David_nc_72std wrote:

Me too, tell us more Shocked One single case?, or a trend?

I restored another 205AN today. It also showed a retard on cylinder three on the distributor machine. I also checked a 205AJ bug distributor. It DIDN'T have a retard on 3.. Odd..

All three of these distributors were virgin, never been disassembled before units too.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: