Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paying to get it done
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

Well folks hardly a week goes by and you see examples of shite repairs done by others, usually POs. Now and then you see or hear examples of outright douche bag type work being put out by businesses specializing in VW repair, pay attention as I document another example of truly fuked up work being passed off on the VW community, a little back story is in order first.

Last couple of months I've been receiving parts from a man getting out of VW hobby, probably 30-40 year accumulation, lots of desirable parts some of them NOS, at least 3 019 distributors, type 4 oil coolers, sheet metal etc etc.

Next on the pile is this 69mm cross drilled crank marked standard freshly assembled a few years ago. I decided to take it back apart just to have a look and just look at the mayhem. Whoever did this needs bitch slapped. The pics will speak for themselves. So next time you think oh maybe that's ok or that looks like it's just been done remember what you've seen here.

First off people are convinced they need to bathe rod nuts in Loctite. If you ever take one back apart you'll curse the assholes that do this. It's not needed and makes a mess

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hard to clean off and can booger the threads.

Next you look at rods and these were likely a rebuilt set from an outfit called SIR. Southwest Import Rebuilders. Back in the day you could buy a set about 20 bucks exchange. But the shit they sold back to you was sketchy look at the rod.

They were supposed to be balanced but I've seen em way off before.

Next we start looking at the bearings and it looks to me like someone installed used bearings scored and pitted just to save a couple of bucks instead of new?WTF.

Even the mains have heavy scoring you can feel with a finger nail, unbelievable

Finally I'm looking at the crank gears and probably the same jack leg that did the other magic burned the crank gear blue heating it then put gouges in it beating it on. You can heat them slightly on a hot plate even a coffee pot burner and they drop right into place. Some use a press that's ok too. Burning them blue with a torch is really ignorant and this is trash can material now.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

So there it is another example of fine work, probably charged the guy twenty bucks or more to do this. Next time you want to send it work out remember this. I began the above post talking about Loctite and mentioned it's neither called for in the manual nor is it needed. Earlier rods used peened nuts that is you stake with a hammer to lock them, yes it's crude but it works. The later rods used lock nuts which you torque to spec and you're done. How much easier can it get? The experts that do this also glob it on flywheel gland nuts to the point you can ruin a nut getting it back off. This stuff is unnecessary but might be not quite as bad if you use a drop, that's drop ok? Personally I've never used it and I've never had fasteners back off. Install things clean,torque to spec using a torque wrench that you know is calibrated and you won't have problems. It's pretty easy.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

For 20 years the local ACVW shop took van loads of cranks, rods and heads to SIR to have rebuilt. They always did good work and sometimes remarkable work. Looks like some novice put that together and didn't clean anything before assembly.

brad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
For 20 years the local ACVW shop took van loads of cranks, rods and heads to SIR to have rebuilt. They always did good work and sometimes remarkable work. Looks like some novice put that together and didn't clean anything before assembly.

brad

I wished I'd taken pics of their heads. The sloppy welds unequal valve heights, seats too low or too high, chambers of vastly different size, slag everywhere, rough edges to make hot spots in the chamber. You name it they did it. The stuff we saw was crap but it was cheap and guess what people then were as cheap as they are now. They bought pallet loads of it hell I remember going through twenty or more heads trying to find two that roughly matched, but hey it was cheap right? Very Happy that rod cap is probably their handy work I'll find out.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

the motor in my bug when I got it had sir heads......holy sheep shit, there was more welding rod filler than oe head.....the chambers were unrecogniozeable(worse than my spelling is) as being vw chambers shaped. one guide was slip fit slipping back & forth.another had the boss broken, I cant understand how spending a few hours welding up a pair of junk heads worth more as scrap could ever make any $$$ when new vw heads with valves were around $50 each....
Ive seen this kind of shit for years on everything, not just vw. the bearings didnt show any copper so they must of been good( too bad the morons didn't know those didn't have copper in them.... witch means Im right again Shocked YOU CANT FIX STUPID.
i never trust anything I did not do. if it's new...I dont trust it, I rework it to my std's. nothing else is acceptable. well Im not so good at rebuilding light bulbs....
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
the motor in my bug when I got it had sir heads......holy sheep shit, there was more welding rod filler than oe head.....the chambers were unrecogniozeable(worse than my spelling is)

That was awesome mark tucker Very Happy Keep up the shitty spelling and grammar, the more I read your stuff the more I understand you. Me thinks you know a thing or two Wink Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

Nice write up. I've never heard good stories about red Loctite. They love putting it on until they have to take it off.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

Loctite whether it is red, blue or green has a purpose especially if you are working on a piece of heavy equipment but it has no place in a VW motor
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

brad

I wished I'd taken pics of their heads. The sloppy welds unequal valve heights, seats too low or too high, chambers of vastly different size, slag everywhere, rough edges to make hot spots in the chamber. You name it they did it. The stuff we saw was crap but it was cheap and guess what people then were as cheap as they are now. They bought pallet loads of it hell I remember going through twenty or more heads trying to find two that roughly matched, but hey it was cheap right? Very Happy that rod cap is probably their handy work I'll find out.

I think it changed owners several years ago. It's too bad their quality went in the dumper. My first few sets of rods and cranks were done at SIR in the 80s and they were really good.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
the motor in my bug when I got it had sir heads......holy sheep shit, there was more welding rod filler than oe head.....the chambers were unrecogniozeable(worse than my spelling is)

That was awesome mark tucker Very Happy Keep up the shitty spelling and grammar, the more I read your stuff the more I understand you. Me thinks you know a thing or two Wink Applause

Read it out loud to yourself and it's perfectly clear. Trying to multitask and read it in my head is when I goof. Razz

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

Shout out to Zundi who's pictrographic tour of a step-by-step crank build-up brought sense to the words in my Orange Bentley Manual last winter. My bug's still running with hundreds of miles on my engine. Make that MY engine.

Hey FiringOrder - Give the bird a nut for me wouldja?

Keep Buggin Buggers... Orange Ghia There's kids out there that have never seen one (shite you not).
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
Loctite whether it is red, blue or green has a purpose especially if you are working on a piece of heavy equipment but it has no place in a VW motor
holy sheep shit batman!!! we better not use the 518 any more!!!!!on the case halvs,intakes..this that an that with batmans head with a hat Rolling Eyes hmm I never looked at the Bentley manual when building mine, I just built it like a V8 engine. and for some stupid reason it's still going and just ran over the energizer bunny..... manuals are a good thing. especially if your not familiar with this kinda stuff....and even if you are...sometimes Wink but even the books can be rong or misleading and confuzzing. that's where the samba come into play, just put your quarter and question up and start playing along till you get the answer you want...then find the answer your car needs and do that one.

Last edited by mark tucker on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
olspeed wrote:
holy sheep shit batman!!! we better not use the 518 any more!!!!!on the case halvs,intakes..this that an batmans head with a hat Rolling Eyes

Loctite is a brand name... I'm pretty sure olspeed meant to say "thread locker."

Loctite makes RTV compounds, anti-seize compounds, thread locking compounds, epoxies, urethane coatings, and super glues.

All of them have their place. And not all rod nuts are created equal.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

518 is pretty much a "gell" thread locker. silocone has 4 places in a vw engine...cylinder bases.very sparing lee... Wink gotta keep the spelling teachers on there tow's
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
olspeed wrote:
holy sheep shit batman!!! we better not use the 518 any more!!!!!on the case halvs,intakes..this that an batmans head with a hat Rolling Eyes

Loctite is a brand name... I'm pretty sure olspeed meant to say "thread locker."

Loctite makes RTV compounds, anti-seize compounds, thread locking compounds, epoxies, urethane coatings, and super glues.

All of them have their place. And not all rod nuts are created equal.
Robbie

X2 Very Happy

Loctite 518 gasket maker is a non-corrosive, anaerobic sealer designed primarily for use on aluminum, iron, and steel flanged mating surfaces. It's ideal for on-the-spot emergency repairs, or when a conventional gasket is out-of-stock.

Right from Loctite as it states it is a gasket maker not thread locker
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

go ahead and use it on threads you dont want locked...... and asbestos's is safe too... the way things are written and perceived is not always what is meant..... like the dr telling my brother right after surgery on his knee...you cant over do it.... so to my brother that mean it's good to go and do any thing...... or does it really mean..dont over do it? . just because something isant labeled for a particular thing dosent mean....it wont. for a good exzample just look at...H2o whats it labeled for? and it's used for......oh somuch stuff.even drinking and firefighting...and surfing...and...cooling...and...making ice.and possibly a few more things it's not labeled to do.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

Probably to clarify what I was trying to say because somehow it's turned into water and effing morons. These products have legimate uses but often times it falls back onto the old thinking of " if a little is good a lot is better" please don't do that. Thanks to Cusser and the fine folks at Henkle we have these to use. Use them per the instructions. That is all. Very Happy
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

[quote="Zundfolge1432"
[/quote]
Nice watch you're sportin' there, Jim. Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying to get it done Reply with quote

Vintage 1969 seiko model 6106 w/ Budweiser 10 year service award band. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: