Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LandSpeed Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Awe yes, I can see where roll cage pulls chassis together to form a better "box" for rigidity... Was sort of wondering about chassis in original pictures....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Sitting on all 4s today fully suspended and with functioning steering. 6 weeks down 46 to go till racing starts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

I remembered that I had a fuel tank sitting in my attic that my late friend gave me the last time I saw him. He had it built for his vintage Lotus Formula Ford but found it wasn't going to work. It means I have to change my firewall plans but it solves some packaging problems I was having fitting the battery and the upright fuel tank I was trying to squeeze in. The Jamar side shifter fit really well after I shortened the hockey stick 3/4 of an inch to move it back so the tank could go in against the rear crossmember.

brad
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

I like the straight forward simplicity of your design.

Wish I had the time and $ to come watch your attempt on the record books.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

So....what are the dates of your attempt?
I presume we're talking about Bonneville....

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
A E Numan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Wouldn't that be fun! Samba Support Army.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
I like the straight forward simplicity of your design.

Wish I had the time and $ to come watch your attempt on the record books.

Thanks, I am a very firm believer in the K I S S philosophy of design. Not a lot of fluff. Things that aren't there, don't break or require spares. All the complicated stuff bolts on to the bellhousing.

I was hoping we were going to finish the cage this weekend, but my cage guy was busy so I have spent the day finish welding a bunch of stuff. Installing a couple of new pieces to support the fuel tank and battery and add a few braces on the front trailing arm mounts and cross members.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

No cage work this weekend, so it was more fab and final welded a bunch of stuff that will be staying put. Also worked on the shift linkage and started building the frame for the sides to mount to. The only thing that will stick out in the rear is the brakes and about 4" of axle the rest will all be enclosed.

Shift linkage always is a lot of fun, so many angles to fool around with to get things working smoothly and precisely. Still more work to do but tacked it together to see how close I am, not bad, got 3 of 5 gears. Confused

brad
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Wondering about the Frontrunners on the back. You mentioned the tires spinning at speed(yikes!) your previous attempt. Are those going to give you needed traction as drive tires?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
Wondering about the Frontrunners on the back. You mentioned the tires spinning at speed(yikes!) your previous attempt. Are those going to give you needed traction as drive tires?

Mike T

That's what we all run. Treaded tires just pack up with salt if it is even a bit wet. Its all about pounds per square inch in the contact patch to drive down through the loose salt. That's why I'm building the car with little regard to weight.

Even the big cars spin their tires. This year was really bad with several 3 and 400 mph cars shredding tires. True landspeed rated tires are exactly like these front runners. They just have a stronger heavier carcass a bit thicker tread, but the shape and tread design are the same, and the cheapest ones I've seen are $550 each for a 5x26 tire

brad
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Sorry to be repetitive if I missed the info but what are the dates for your planned runs?

Paul

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Sorry to be repetitive if I missed the info but what are the dates for your planned runs? Paul

No dates posted yet Paul. But the World of Speed is usually mid September. If I had to guess it would be the Sept. 14-17 weekend. It's a long drive from Morrisburg LOL

brad
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks Brad. What a great build this is.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Brad are you using Chrome Moly Steel for the frame? You are doing an impressive job, nice to see another Canuck Buggy aiming for the top.

If I was back home I would have headed your way to help Very Happy
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks Brad.
Yup, definitely not a short drive from here but the flats are on she-who-must-be-obeyed's bucket list so one of these days may get my arm severely twisted.
Also, have a local buddy that makes the trek annually in August to help another friend with his Studebaker, ran over 200 this year, and his pics are stunning. He has been planting the seed.....

Paul

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Bluggy wrote:
Brad are you using Chrome Moly Steel for the frame? You are doing an impressive job, nice to see another Canuck Buggy aiming for the top If I was back home I would have headed your way to help Very Happy

Thanks.
No, it's only mild steel. CM requires a different welding technique and treatment of the tubing that I just can't do and as I said before, not really concerned abut weight savings.

brad
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Thanks Brad.
Yup, definitely not a short drive from here but the flats are on she-who-must-be-obeyed's bucket list so one of these days may get my arm severely twisted.
Also, have a local buddy that makes the trek annually in August to help another friend with his Studebaker, ran over 200 this year, and his pics are stunning. He has been planting the seed.....

Paul

After running next April's NORRA 1000 in Baja MX, a run on the salt is one of the last racing bucket list items for me. It will just take a while for me to get set back up money wise to make that happen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Work continues. Had a great day Saturday and we finished the cage. Got it home and kept welding for a couple of hours till my gas bottle ran out. Almost done welding, just have to roll it over on its roof and get at some of the hard to get to areas. Now to start planning and forming some sheet metal.

Not much of the old body left.

It's a snug fit. The front hoop made out of square tube will be getting changed and made much shorter. I built it as a hood support but will make something a little better looking.

I also picked a 5 gallon pail full of wheel weights to melt down for ballast in the front end.

brad
WilliamA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

That's the same body Neil and I used to build the mid engine car! Not many of those around with the full rear skirts. I'm not in the game anymore but will peek in on this one from time to time. Right up my alley...

WilliamA

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

This weekend I really wished I had put a furnace in my garage. Temps dropped to -17C but it wasn't horrible in the garage. I worked all day Saturday getting it back on it's wheels and adding the last of the bracing for the chassis. Sunday my good friend John came over and we came up with a plan for the floors and side skins/firewall. After he left I spent a couple hours tacking in the steering column brace, drilling the holes for the rod ends that will support the shaft and cutting the shafts, fitting the splined plugs, and getting the u-joints put in. I'll take it apart tonight and weld everything and have a working steering column.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: