Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

Once again the garage knows best Sad

The mechanic set my tappets to .4 or .5 mm im nor sure which

A sticker on the engine says intake .15 mm or .006 inches
For the exhaust it says .2 mm or 008 inches

In the book which includes the 1700cc motor it says the tappet clearance is .15mm for each in & out BUT for SOME 1700cc engines Rolling Eyes WHY not all?? .2 mm extra for the out valve,WHY is it sooo complicated

What is the clearance for the exhaust out valve?? .15mm .17mm or .2mm??

Built in 1971 The engine was changed from 1600cc to a 1972 flat 1700cc engine in 1974 otherwise nothings been changed std twin vw carbs
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

For the exhaust valves on some engines VW originally specced 0.008" or 0.2mm. However they later revised the spec to 0.006" or 0.15mm because of complaints about noisy lifters.

Since the original sodium filled exhaust valves that caused VW to have the wider spec have long since been replaced with standard valves on almost all engines, only the 0.006" or 0.15mm spec would apply today anyway, so that is what you want to use for multiple reasons.
1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

OH but i could still have sodium valves??Or why would mine get a sticker??

Built in 1971 The engine was changed from 1600cc to a 1972 flat 1700cc engine in 1974 otherwise nothings been changed std twin vw carbs
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

1970bay wrote:
OH but i could still have sodium valves??Or why would mine get a sticker??

If you still have sodium valves then set them to the revised spec of 0.006" or 0.15mm.
1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

But in the book it says i must set them to .20mm or risk some sort of catastrophe

How can i be sure that the valve is fully open??I have noticed that once the valve is fully open the bus engine can be turned quite a lot before there is any other movement ??

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

1970bay wrote:
But in the book it says i must set them to 20mm or risk some sort of catastrophe

How can i be sure that the valve is fully open??I have noticed that once the valve is fully open the bus engine can be turned quite a lot before there is any other movement ??

Sodium-filled valves were used only briefly on the 1800 dual-carburetor buses with air pumps. They expand longitudinally more than the steel valves and they really do need to be .008".

You can't tell if you have sodium valves until you look at the actual valve faces for the tell-tale weld-dot. Therefore, you need to make a judgment call:

a) is the engine still an original build with the correct cylinder head numbers?
b) does it look like it has had cylinder head work?
c) do you have receipts/history on this vehicle?

Chances are pretty good that the valves are not sodium-filled.
Colin
1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad OH i had hoped that the note from vw on the engine indicated sodium valves.
I hope someone will call soon to adjust,if i have ordinary steel valves set to .20mm and the inlet to .15mm would it be a problem??Then IF the valves are sodium it will be ok & if not be noisy ??

Almost as soon as i wrote this post there seem to have been a steady stream of "mechanics" passing by and offering there opinion,the note is not easy to see but it dose say .20 mm for the exhaust

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

What is the part number off your engine? (It is stamped into the case just below the breather). If it is a Porsche or 411/412 part number then your engine wouldn't have come with sodium filled valves no matter the size or year. As Colin noted the sodium filled valves were a feature of the '74 1800 bus engines so the part number would show this as well.

If you do have sodium filled valves you must have one of the last few Type 4 engine on the planet running them.

This is the technical Data page for a '74 bus which in the USA would have had an 1800 engine:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/oct73bus/page58.jpg

The specs for both the '73 1700 bus engine and the '75 bus 1800 are both 0.006" or 0.15mm for the exhaust valve.

Last edited by Wildthings on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

It is not 15 mm it is 0.15 mm very big difference.
As posted if you do not know for sure which exhaust valves you have. To be save you set them to 0.20 mm.
To conclude set Intake valves 0.15 mm and Exhaust valves 0.20 mm

The mechanic set my tappets to .4 or .5 mm I'm nor sure which?
0.40 mm is twice the specified specification. Your engine would be making a lot of noise.

Good luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

This is what a rocker set to about 5 mm sounds like. So it has to be 0.5 mm
thnx mayor ratwell
"Hydraulic lifters again; this time the valve adjusting screw had far too much lash (perhaps 5mm) and you can hear the components of the valve train (single push rod) clacking against each other."
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineSounds/SlackRockerArm.mp3

This is what a warm engine sounds like with the valves adjusted correctly.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineSounds/SolidLiftersWarm.mp3
1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I will check the part number in the morning.

The mechanic could not put my bus on the lift this evening.
Tomorrow i will take the cover off let the bus move forward until valves open and see which finger of metal goes into the gap.

How can i tell which is the inlet and which the sodium filled Rolling Eyes out one??

I hope the one marked "15" fits

I had no idea sodium valves existed i imagined valves were all the same just as spark plugs Confused Until it was mentioned hear Embarassed Then i rather hoped i had some.When i found the sticker which said i had a wider valve clearance i knew it must be sodium valve Smile

I have been worried about burnt valves since i learnt weak fuel mix can burn the valve.Having immediately googled sodium valve and found they run cooler i was sure i must have them

Tomorrow i hope i find 15 at least and not 4 or 5 Shocked

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

The two center valves on each head are the intakes. I personally don't know how to tell a sodium filled valve by just looking at the valve stem. I don't think that sodium filled valves are something to wish for as they were quickly eliminated because of the problems they gave.

Keeping your engine well tuned up is the best way to avoid valve and other head problems.
1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

Yes but how??Increasingly real mechanics are retiring to be replaced with fitters that know nothing other than how to charge a fortune for no work at all.

Sodium or metal valves i will be happy when i find for myself what gap has been set,by a mechanic

Thanks as its not been clear from youtube which valves are which so far. Tomorrow i wil meet my valves Very Happy I have been told to take a No13 spanner and a screwdriver just in case i want to adjust them Shocked

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

1970bay wrote:
Yes but how??Increasingly real mechanics are retiring to be replaced with fitters that know nothing other than how to charge a fortune for no work at all.

Sodium or metal valves i will be happy when i find for myself what gap has been set,by a mechanic

Thanks as its not been clear from youtube which valves are which so far. Tomorrow i wil meet my valves Very Happy I have been told to take a No13 spanner and a screwdriver just in case i want to adjust them Shocked

An 1800 engine would have 10mm adjusting screws and require a 14mm wrench. Still doesn't tell you for sure whether you have sodium valves or not.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

1970bay wrote:

If you are referring to which valve is which and not gas versus standard maybe
This will help.

Don't forget your feeler gauge. To be safe since you don't know. Bring a 14mm
Box wrench (spanner) just incase. And adjust before bus has been started for the day. Engine must be cold. Exhaust valves are toward the outside of the bus. #1 exhaust valve is closest (pres) to passenger seat #2 valve exhaust is closest (pres) to rear bumper. The intake valves Are in between the exhaust valves.

Rear Bumper-----#2 exhaust/intake----#1 intake/exhaust----passenger seat

#3 exhaust towards driver seat, #4 exhaust toward rear bumper.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=311006

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

Very Happy "Rear Bumper-----#2 exhaust/intake----#1 intake/exhaust----passenger seat "

Now i cant make a mistake Shocked Could not be clearer Thanks Cool

1970bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

Not done as yet i cant get the cover off i might have to remove the wheel but then i cant check the gap??

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What is the 1700cc tapet clearance ?? Reply with quote

1970bay wrote:
Not done as yet i cant get the cover off i might have to remove the wheel but then i cant check the gap??

How about a picture or two of your setup? I usually just drive up onto 100mm or so of wooden blocks and have plenty enough access to easily do the job. A set of car ramps will also work well.

Having a piece of heavy tarp, like truckers use to cover their loads makes this job a bit nicer. Adjusting valves for most of us is a lie on the ground job and having something clean to lay on keeps it from being as unpleasant. A squished down cardboard box like a water heater comes in isn't a bad surface to lie on either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: