Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Swivel Seat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geraldcrewcab wrote:
"VW-Kombi als Verkehrs-Unfall-Bereitchaftswagen mit Laufrost auf dem Dach und von hinten ansetzbarer Aufstiegleiter"

means:

VW-Kombi as traffic accident preparedness with catwalk (gallery) Very Happy at the roof and with a rising ladder that was fixing from the backside.

essentially a HERO truck with a rear mountable ladder to get on the roof to watch the races Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Everyone. Here's the latest..

Given with the latest information and some investigative work "special thanks to tstracey39 and easy e for pointing out the shifter extension" that we have a swivel seat as an option for Barndoors.

For those who have great doubt think of the VERY FEW SURVING BARNDOORS that are here today vs production leaving us with only VW literature to go with. So just because we haven't seen one it doesn't mean it didn't exist. We now have great evidence it was an option.

Would be incredible to see someone build one this year!

Last edited by CaLiBus on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:05 am; edited 2 times in total
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course this is real,or could be. Are we saying that barndoor Binz photos might be air brushed? Still neither example has surfaced. Am I wrong on the fact three barndoor deluxes that were coachbuilt with extra windows up front have been found? Or 1954 or 55 15 windows could or might exist. All these are real. Perhaps,many have not yet been discovered or confirmed,or possibly owners have not come forward. They are out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52panelvan wrote:
I like your point of view...

Its all a matter of opinion of course. Ask yourself a couple of questions?

Does that chair look like German VW engineering or a midgets Dentist chair?

If a 15 Stone man sat on that chair supported by that X section panel, what angle would it be bent at after 100 miles?

If you find that Barndoor with that option, I will happily print this thread out and eat it Very Happy

time to grab your knife and fork Mark Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And to answer the question how the wheel arch could support a 15 stone driver, this’ll help Wink

gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

For those that may not have considered why the actual barndoor swivel seat shown above and in the thread "Summer 2016 Barndoor Find" differs slightly in the seat height from the VW graphic in the 1953 Transporter Interiors Brochure it is pretty simple, blame the Marketing Department at VW.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/transporter_interiors_german.php

Why do I say that, because if you know large manufacturing companies, there is always this internal struggle between marketing, manufacturing/engineering and accounting.

I am pretty sure when the marketing department gave this brochure to their original customer focus group with the actual seat, no one knew what it was. Swivel seats were relatively new to the consumer in an automobile back in the barndoor era (the actual swivel chair dates back to Thomas Jefferson).

Remember this is a 45 page brochure. Most customers were going to either take this brochure home with them to read on their own or a sales person had to quickly show them a graphic that would register in their mind at the dealership. Everything needed to be self-explanatory.

If the marketing department put that actual (seemingly) flat, single chair in the swivel seat graphic in this brochure, I'm sure no one would know what it was. How does that flat seat turn? What does the sales person do then, loses a potential sale.

In typical marketing fashion, they then had to change it so people could associate what they were depicting. What better way than to include an exaggerated swinging pedestal cone on the chair, similar to a barber or dentist chair. Ah, now people can associate with it and know what it is!

Look closely at the graphic. That is why the front pedestal and the swivel seat chair look like they are super-imposed/photoshoped on top of the rest of the pic. Marketing had to change it to meets their needs.

Another way to debunk the pedestal seat height portion of the photo/graphic is the following:

Look at the top of the steering wheel, right by the bottom of the windshield. Same place as usual. Knowing that a typical bench seat allows the driver to seat comfortably in place, how could you throw another 3-4 inches of seat pedestal, then a seat cushion on top of that and still maintain the same height of the steering column or even the same distance between the bottom of the steering wheel and the seat cushion as this graphic depicts? Not realistic.

In addition, the engineers would never allow this pedestal on top of a pedestal concept either. A lower center of gravity is always preferred. Later swivel seats dipped even lower.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
mandraks wrote:
panel without separation wall, instead with an upholstered swivel seat, for direct access to the cargo area.

notice the blatant absence of a passenger seat

No production swivelseats had a passenger seat installed, with the possible exception of the Canadian Air Force high roof swivelseat bus.

This prototype or artwork bus has some other cool features.
No partition reinforcement.
Hinged seat back.

Very late swivelseats had folding seat backs, possibly later 62 and 63 buses only.

This bus would be up there with a sliding door Barndoor on the killer find list.

This ^^^ is from a book that had a lot of buses with unusual options I have not seen, or rarely seen, in real life.

The brochure pic of the swivel seat BD looks oddly proportioned, and I would not be surprised if it was airbrushed in.
That said, the brouchure is advertising a swivel seat as an option. I'd think it would be special ordered and maybe coach buildt.
The BD SS found looks like it was coach buildt. The seat also does not look the same shape as the one in the brouchure.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:

seat is a different shape, FWIW

EverettB wrote:
Bigger version from this site
gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

Per the translation of the preface of the BD interior brochure, it is done at the dealer as a dealer option.

See the following link, page 3, starting in the middle of the page for start of the full discussion.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Bigger version from this site

I felt like Google translating this so here goes.

Text from that page
VW-Kastenwagen ohne Zwischenwand, dafür drehbarem Polster-Fahrersitz und direktem Zugang zum Laderaum

Google Translate
VW box wagon without partition, rotatable upholstery driver's seat and direct access to the loading area
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

gr8vw4sale wrote:
Per the translation of the preface of the BD interior brochure, it is done at the dealer as a dealer option.

See the following link, page 3, starting in the middle of the page for start of the full discussion.

Direct link to that post
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8582560#8582560

You say it was done at the dealer above but in the link above, you said this was your hypothesis - you reported it doesn't say that in the text you translated.

It might be better for someone on the site who speaks German and English to translate it.
Anyone?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
gr8vw4sale wrote:

Direct link to that post
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8582560#8582560

You say it was done at the dealer above but in the link above, you said this was your hypothesis - you reported it doesn't say that in the text you translated.

It might be better for someone on the site who speaks German and English to translate it.
Anyone?

Here is a quick and dirty translation

[...]

the VW Transporter has proven itself in this country and abroad with the efficient solution to a great variety of transportation problems. Fot the transportation of goods of all sectors of industry it has been a profit bringing parter to the tightly calculating business man, by offering on top of its good drivability and its low running costs, also particularly flexible uses for the cargo area. Smart people have converted the VW Transporter for their particular needs in such a way that its profitability and its proverbial econony where improved to the maximum.
This catolog contains a selection of individually create interiors and demonstrates what multitude of use cases possible due to the way the VW Transporter is constructed. Contained inside the VW Transporter are for any businessman and just about any sector of the economyare unbelievable variations taht will allow for a better, faster, gentler and more econimical, even cheaper transport than before.
The examples of interior fitments and body styles are not offered by the Volkswagen Werk. They were built partly in specialty shops, partly by VW dealerships, to the order of their owners; the individual companies and following examples are frequently ordered according to the large Distributors and dealerships, whose trained personnel are always available to consult, refer, and help to solve any transportationproblem with locally available means.
[...]

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

This is the key:

The examples of interior fitments and body styles are not offered by the Volkswagen Werk ("the Factory"). They were built partly in specialty shops, partly by VW dealerships, to the order for their owners; the individual companies and following examples are frequently ordered according to the large Distributors and dealerships, whose trained personnel are always available to consult, refer, and help to solve any transportation problem with locally available means.

I later confirmed via a German speaking friend, after the original post in the other thread, that my interpretation of the Google translation was correct.

All my posts in that other thread however refer to a dealer, nothing else.

Thank you for the translation above as well.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

gr8vw4sale wrote:

mandraks wrote:
<translation>
The examples of interior fitments and body styles are not offered by the Volkswagen Werk. They were built partly in specialty shops, partly by VW dealerships, to the order of their owners; the individual companies and following examples are frequently ordered according to the large Distributors and dealerships, whose trained personnel are always available to consult, refer, and help to solve any transportationproblem with locally available means.

Ya, the brochure says it was not a factory option, but dealer or coach buildt. (I translate the specialty shops as coach buildt)
The brochure is saying it could definitely be ordered through the VW dealer back then, but is vague other than that. And just throws out a bunch of cool pics of customised VW Type 2s

Some of the interiors in that brochure look to me like they could be Westfalia's style.

Very cool that Swivel Seat option was officially mentioned in a brochure from back in the day! Very Happy
And that an example was actually found! Very Happy
gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
gr8vw4sale wrote:

mandraks wrote:
<translation>

Ya, the brochure says it was not a factory option, but dealer or coach buildt. (I translate the specialty shops as coach buildt)
The brochure is saying it could definitely be ordered through the VW dealer back then, but is vague other than that. And just throws out a bunch of cool pics of customised VW Type 2s

Some of the interiors in that brochure look to me like they could be Westfalia's style.

Very cool that Swivel Seat option was officially mentioned in a brochure from back in the day! Very Happy
And that an example was actually found! Very Happy

Splitting hairs here but I have a slightly different interpretation in that the structure itself (speaking specifically about the swivel seat, we can debate the others at a later time) would have been coach built but the dealer build portion was the installation part of it.

See Lazaa's comment in the "Summer 2016 Barndoor Find" thread giving more support that it was dealer installed, "One point that would make me think it is OG is the floor mat section that match an original front floor mat by it's size, ribs...Etc and I don't see a coachbuilder go that far on the details of his build." - Lazaa, if you prefer I remove your quote, please let me know.

Regardless though, it is safe to say this is a dealer ordered option and original to this vehicle based on the support provided in that same "Summer 2016 Barndoor Find" thread.

Agree, it is nice to see a real BD Swivel Seat!! Time to change the history books!
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

here is what i posted on the other thread. it appears to me that the installation of the seat matches what is described in the brochure, at least in dimensions. i strongly believe that this was a dealer installed option. i am also curious what is lurking under the hideous upholstery, as the legs appear to match and the curve on the top appears to be present.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

I can't tell that the walk-thru mat matches an original floor mat.
It looks like normal rubber runner material to me, available almost anywhere.

This doesn't really matter though, I'm sure a coach builder or a dealer or whoever would have used whatever they could lay their hands on for dirt cheap, they aren't going to hack up a real VW floor mat for no reason.

I still think we need a photo of the Bus from the driver's side door opening.
gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

Here is a shot from the drivers side and a closeup of the walk-thru mat

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

Cool, that is a pretty dry Bus.

What does the handle do on that side versus the one in the walk-thru section?

The walk-thru mat doesn't look like a VW mat - it's too thin and I doubt it has the large waffle pattern on the back side.
The later walk-thru mats are pretty thin too.
I'm sure they used whatever mat they could get their hands on for the walk-thru section.
gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

Having had a later walk-thru before, agree, you really can't have a very spongy mat there which the waffles seem to provide. It really needs to be pretty firm because if you have a wet foot that could spell disaster if that mat has any give to it, especially since it is on a slope. The pattern looks dead on though and the wear showcases its age. These engineers tested everything so I am sure they knew best what worked, what didn't.

The knob is for adjusting the seat forward/backward.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Swivel Seat Reply with quote

That seat looks very, very oldtimey to me. it looks as if the foam cushion is covered with sheep wool? the frame tubing for the back looks very professionally made. all looking very 1950s

The rubber mat reminds me of mid 1950s GM trunk lining. my 1953 Chevy had pretty much that pattern and would be large enough to cut the whole walkthrough area from that piece.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: