Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Pos
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211971228A
Neg
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111971235c
Body to Fan housing. Measure
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/battery-accessori...rsal-

Or Run the ground cable from the battery to the Fan housing.
Then run a ground strap from the fan housing to the Body.
I would still leave the Transmission ground strap in place.
As pictured
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Thank Tcash... That sounds like an even better idea. Then there will be two grounds to the drivetrain, and running a cable thru the tins won't be a problem.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

OooooooKay.... I survived another "engine noise panic attack" moment. Shocked

Driving home yesterday, the engine started making a loud knocking noise, sounding like a spark plug being rattled in a coffee can. My initial diagnosis was... another loose screw in the smog pump inlet port. (It has happened before.)

So I continued driving it home, making people duck when I accelerated, as if trying to avoid the machine gun fire. And driving thru my HOA was fun, since the noise reverberates between buildings. Hehe.... Okay, I liked that part of it.

I waited for it to cool down, and checked the 4 smog inlet screws, but they were all in place. "Engine noise panic attach" escalates to stage 3.

Giving it some thought during the night, I figured...duh!... it must be an exhaust leak. Whew... down to stage 2.

Checked the nuts to all the exhaust ports and, sure enough, they were all loose. Torqued them down, cranked it over.... but it was STILL AK-47 time. Stage 4 now, and wondering if it's too late to order heart medication. I also check valves on 3 & 4, and all were good. Whew.

Next check: Compression!! Aha! That will tell me something. A year ago, the numbers were all in the 120-130 range. Since the noise was coming from the driver's side, I checked 3 and 4. S#|t! ... #3 is now at 90, and 4 is 130. My Sherlock-ian brain has figured it's a valve in 3, since I've read that's the hottest running cylinder and if a problem occurs, it's likely going to be in 3.

Jumping to stage 6, and breathing into a paper bag, I send a video of the engine noise to Dr Robbie, and detailed what I've discovered. His suggestion is to run the engine and remove the injector plugs to determine where the problem is. (Doctors never listen, right?? I told him it was in #3. Rolling Eyes )

So I start the engine and pull the plug on #3. Son of a gun... noise still happens. But it stops with #4's plug removed. Breathing back to normal, he tells me it must be that pesky screw in #4's smog injection inlet port. (Still not listening, are ya, Doc?!? I said I checked it. Twisted Evil )

Being the obedient (and partially resuscitated) patient, I followed his stupid advice. And SOB!... that freakin' screw was loose after all, and I missed it somehow. Tightened up that little trouble-maker and the gunfire has been reduced to a purr. Whew!!! Engine noise panic attack has been averted! All is well in the world again, (except for the Big Orange Cheeto). Dancing

Dr R then suggests waiting until the engine cools, loosen the plugs a wee bit, and run the engine a bit to warm it a little, and do the compression test again. That will be tomorrow morning.

So thank you once again, Robbie!!! My heart rate and blood pressure are back to normal.

By the way... do you take Kaiser? Wink

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
OooooooKay.... I survived another "engine noise panic attack" moment. Shocked

Driving home yesterday, the engine started making a loud knocking noise, And SOB!... that freakin' screw was loose after all, and I missed it somehow. Tightened up
By the way... do you take Kaiser? Wink

only with Pastrami

You ready to give up those pretty litle plugs and go back to the sealed off air pump injectors yet???? Laughing Laughing Laughing

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

It's amazing how us VW owners brains kick into the catastrophic thinking so quickly when our engines develop a quirk or noise!

We immediately think this- Laughing

Link

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
It's amazing how us VW owners brains kick into the catastrophic thinking so quickly when our engines develop a quirk or noise!

Yup, it's a combination of paranoia and fear. When/if I add gauges, I'm sure that will help increase the anxiety level. Lol!

Just a quick update: I did a compression test (correctly this time) again yesterday and all the numbers are in the 120-130 range. So it appears I didn't damage the engine during that ill-fated trip to Grand Canyon and Utah. Big relief there!

And replacing the oil pressure switch has stopped an oil slick from developing wherever I went. I started carrying large sheets of cardboard in the back. When I'd park, I'd run around and stick a piece under her engine in an attempt to catch any drips. Usually unsuccessfully, as a few drops will have fallen before I could get there. It's also saving me from adding a quart ever couple days.

Now that all these problems have been solved, and she is running GREAT. I'm really looking forward to my next remodel job in Escondido. All my tools should squeeze into the back, but will be a tight fit. I don't usually travel for work, since there's so much work nearby, but this is a client we did a remodel for about 3 years ago to his desert getaway. And now he wants the same treatment to his primary residence... new kitchen, new baths, new tile floors, upgraded lighting, complete interior paint. It will be a fun job, and I'll be living out of Chloe for the most part.

In retrospect, it's amazing to think it's been a little over a year since Chloe arrived. She was an impulse buy on eBay, but this whole process has changed my life. I've learned an incredible amount about ACVW's, and car maintenance in general. And I spend my spare time researching on the Internet or on working on Chloe instead of watching TV. (I even cancelled DishTV last year, and don't miss TV at all.). And even lost about 20 pounds. So owning a van/bus does have a way of changing your life.

---WildIdea

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Yes, pushing a bus will help you shed those pounds quickly. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yes, pushing a bus will help you shed those pounds quickly. Laughing

Hehe... Luckily, I had Guadalupe to do the pushing. He's down to 135... Lol!

williamM wrote:
You ready to give up those pretty litle plugs and go back to the sealed off air pump injectors yet???? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Twisted Evil Never! Those ugly-a$$ injectors are history, never to see the inside of this engine bay again! Twisted Evil

These pretty little plugs will do the trick, as long as I can get the thread sealed correctly. I've been using high-strength thread locker. And Robbie recently informed me that stuff turns back to liquid at higher temps. So he's suggested using copper RTV next time they pop out and give me a heart attack.

---WildIdea

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Yup, it's a combination of paranoia and fear. When/if I add gauges, I'm sure that will help increase the anxiety level. Lol!

You're going to add gauges eh? Shocked That will probably increase your need to pop some Xanax on road trips! Laughing

I don't have any gauges in my VW's. My belief (right or wrong) is that if I've set up the engines correctly and they are well tuned, they should be fine. If I burn an engine to the ground from overheating or other issue, I'll consider gauges after that. In 30 plus years of driving VW's, I've never had any catastrophic engine issues or break downs.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
KentPS wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

You're going to add gauges eh? Shocked That will probably increase your need to pop some Xanax on road trips! Laughing

I don't have any gauges in my VW's. My belief (right or wrong) is that if I've set up the engines correctly and they are well tuned, they should be fine. If I burn an engine to the ground from overheating or other issue, I'll consider gauges after that. In 30 plus years of driving VW's, I've never had any catastrophic engine issues or break downs.

I have been reading the pluses and minuses of gauges, but still haven't made up my mind. Your point is spot on. It makes total sense. And since Chloe is running so well lately, I feel I finally understand the whats and hows of keeping the engine in top running condition.

Buuuuuut there's that nagging voice in the back of my head that says having the info available is better than driving in ignorance. So I'm still having that debate with myself. And not sure yet who is winning.

I just remembered something... When I had my '71 tintop in the 80's, the PO had installed gauges. But back then I was so ignorant, I wasn't sure what they were measuring. I'd just look at them once in a while.

---WildIdea

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

My thought on gauges is that they allow me to push the bus to the limit when I need to without killing it. Allowing me to know the cost for pushing my bus and a forewarning if something went wrong.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Buuuuuut there's that nagging voice in the back of my head that says having the info available is better than driving in ignorance. So I'm still having that debate with myself. And not sure yet who is winning.

LOL

I get it for sure. I just know millions of VW's have been driven all over the country in the 60's-70's-80's and today w/out gauges and most made it just fine. I hear and agree with some of the arguments for having them but I just can't get myself to go there yet.

The other issue that I see too often is how poorly made and inaccurate most of the oil pressure and cylinder/oil temperature gauges/senders are. What's the point of installing gauges if they provide inaccurate information? Trends is an argument but still..

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

[quote="wcfvw69"]
KentPS wrote:

having the info available is better than driving in ignorance. LOL

The other issue that I see too often is how poorly made and inaccurate most of the oil pressure and cylinder/oil temperature gauges/senders are. What's the point of installing gauges if they provide inaccurate information? Trends is an argument but still..

An example might be --when My dad was the test pilot for the C-119- The engineers set up the gauges so all pointed straight up when everything was running just right-- well you can guess what kind of anxiety that caused-- (Cause NOTHING ever runs just "right")-- When my gauges even work I use them as a comparison to where they ran last time.- so the answer to the question "Whats your oil pressure?" has always been "Same as yesterday."

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Pomona Classic Car Show & Swap Meet:

It was a great chance to attend my first car show, check out the swap meet, and hang out with Robbie, Brian, and GingerGypsy. Those crazy guys were up all thru the night before the meet, and then sold all day. Me? I crashed in Chloe at 2 am. And then went around the VW booths with them and found some excellent deals, thanks to Robbie's sharp eyes.

So in five days, I drove Chloe about 400 miles on SoCal freeways. Gawd, she drives amazingly well now. On Sunday, driving from Pomona back to Escondido, I found myself going 75 and not really noticing. I tried to keep it at 65, but Chloe wanted to run!
This was also the first time I've driven Chloe where it gets cold (relative to the desert, that is). And when I installed the injectors, I installed the CSV, but bypassed the fuel rail, and didn't connect the harness to it. [This was done to avert the possibility of fires from leaking CSVs, as reported in other threads.]

Starting Chloe cold when it's 70* in the desert takes a few cranks. But in Escondido, it must have been closer to 50* when I tried to start. And it took 4-5 long key turns before she started. So I'm questioning my decision to bypass the CSV.

The CSV was cleaned and checked along with the other injectors earlier this year. But since the CSV hasn't been used, I'm sure it will require cleaning and the "hammer blow" to get it running, if I decide to reconnect it.

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

The morning, Chloe hit a mileage milestone... Dancing

According to the odometer, she has 65,432.1 miles on the chassis.
Hmmmm... I get the feeling a digit is missing somewhere in there.
I've heard the best way to judge the miles on a vehicle is to look at the pedals...

Do these look like the pedals of a 165k mile vehicle, or could it be 265k?...

---WildIdea

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Do these look like the pedals of a 165k mile vehicle, or could it be 265k?...

I'd say they look like the pedals of a cheapskate VW owner who won't crack his wallet on $10 dollars worth of new pedal pads. Laughing Razz

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'd say they look like the pedals of a cheapskate VW owner who won't crack his wallet on $10 dollars worth of new pedal pads. Laughing Razz

Ten dollars?!?
You know how many bottles of Two-Buck Chuck you can buy for that???

(Trick question. I think you can only buy 3 for that amount now.)

By the way.... did you notice the word "poor" in the title? Dat's me! Laughing

---WildIdea

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Ten dollars?!?
You know how many bottles of Two-Buck Chuck you can buy for that???

(Trick question. I think you can only buy 3 for that amount now.)

By the way.... did you notice the word "poor" in the title? Dat's me! Laughing

HA! Very Happy

Ya know, I hear there's this new fangled thing called "go fund me"! I've heard it's proven to be quite successful for other VW lifestyle enthusiasts! Maybe find a Millennial who can help you get started and set up! Laughing LMAO!

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing

Bus owner ship via emoticons----

ALMOST no body can have just one.

I was reading thru the old postings and saw this from Bill soon after I bought Chloe.
In retrospect, it is an amazingly accurate representation of the various stages an ACVW owner goes through!
It just needs a few more Brick wall and Crying or Very sad tossed into the mix. But that just makes the Dancing so much sweeter. Lol!

---WildIdea

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
williamM wrote:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing

Bus owner ship via emoticons----

ALMOST no body can have just one.

I was reading thru the old postings and saw this from Bill soon after I bought Chloe.
In retrospect, it is an amazingly accurate representation of the various stages an ACVW owner goes through!
It just needs a few more Brick wall and Crying or Very sad tossed into the mix. But that just makes the Dancing so much sweeter. Lol!

Yeah, that cycle is on repeat. It starts over every 1-3 months. lol
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 57

Jump to: