Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information...
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I own a 1999 EV with GoWesty Lift-Kit.

I'm reading mixed information about snow chains on Eurovans. I even contacted GoWesty and eTrailer and so far, I don't have a clear idea about what is going on.

GoWesty told me to put a good a Winter tire, but we get sometimes black ice with up to 2 inches of flat ice on top of the snow, and it's quite hilly where I live. I've driven a EV in snow with no problems with a Winter tire but ice is a totally different story and I worry about getting stuck at the bottom of a hill and not being able to go up hill. Dennis at GoWesty is asking me if my EV comes with Fox shocks, which I don't know how to check, and make sure the chains do touch the reservoir.

eTrailer told me that they don't recommend snow chains in T4 chassis.

However, I've read about folks putting snow chains in EV's in case you get stuck. I've seen things like the Thule K-Summit which goes on the outside of the tire, never on the inside (behind the tire) and I'm wondering why that would be a problem for a snow chain?

Anyway, lot's of mixed information, not sure where to go from here. If you have any experience, please share.

Thank you,

Miquel
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

I have a set of cable chains for my van, but the clearance between the tires and fenders is really tight. They make me super nervous when they're installed. The van does really phenomenally in the snow with just good quality studless snow tires, but I assume with ice you actually need studs

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Hi Casey,

I agree with everything you said. I know my EVC has quite a bit of clearance because the GoWesty Lift-Kit. I don't see clearance being too much of an issue with the current configuration. I did not want to put studded tires because I'll be crossing some states in Winter and it's not legal everywhere. I was more thinking if I get stuck because of ice (not snow) going uphill. I would love to have something that I can put on it and give me enough traction to make it through, but it needs to be some type chain or cable that can grip on ice while going uphill...and hopefully, it won't cost an arm and a leg. Very Happy

Best,

Miquel
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

I should mention that I'm running 235/60-16 tires which are pushing the limits of clearance as is. The clearance issues I worry about aren't at the top of the arch, but rather the bottom fore/aft sections so I'm not sure whether a lift kit will change anything.

y u rune klassik?
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

That’s a good point about the size. I’m running 215/70R16. I think those are smaller than yours.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Studded snows on steel wheels for winter. Take them off if the season is warm
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

^^^ Guy from upstate New York. Probably worth listening to. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Edited

FOUR studded snows on steel wheels. You also do have to check local regs for everywhere you want to drive in case that limits you. We have to have ours off by May 1 in NY for example, while the Great White Northern Province of Ontario doesn't allow them in the deep South part. I think I get a 30 day exemption being out of province. Usually, if the weather is so crappy I need studs, I don't go, or I take another member of the fleet.

If you don't want to change back and forth the obvious answer is to buy a duplicate T4 and run regular tires.

Very Happy
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

This pic was taken after a night of heavy snow up on mt baker WA, when we drove up the plows had stopped for the night so I chained up and when we left 2 days later I was still in chains , we only have 15” tires but they are meaty for all the “off-road “we do in our van. We have no issue with the chains and they came from les swab tires. Although I did only put them on the front. I’m not sure why anyone would suggest that a T4 can’t run on chains?

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Needlenoddlenoo wrote:
This pic was taken after a night of heavy snow up on mt baker WA, when we drove up the plows had stopped for the night so I chained up and when we left 2 days later I was still in chains , we only have 15” tires but they are meaty for all the “off-road “we do in our van. We have no issue with the chains and they came from les swab tires. Although I did only put them on the front. I’m not sure why anyone would suggest that a T4 can’t run on chains?

That's a great picture. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Needlenoddlenoo wrote:

What chains did you get?
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Thank you for the advice. I was looking for snow chains because I will be driving across a state that will require good traction on ice conditions but the trip will be over 1,500 miles and I'll be driving south in a state with temperatures of 70f-80f where no studded tires are allowed. That is why I was looking for something I could put in the tires and take out as the temps get warmer and state regulation change.
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

The chains are these, I run big tires LT215/75R-15 , but I’ve used these chains for 3 seasons and had no issues

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Thank for the picture. That is a good way to keep it simple. That's all I needed, something to put on in case of major traction issues.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Here's my van after a night of accumulation on Mt. Rainier. You can just make out the chains.

y u rune klassik?
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

The thing I like about those chains is they go over the wheel , you don’t roll onto them , which is good for us because we often sleep in the van up on the mountain and wake up to snow . Good luck on your road trip .
Ivan

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Here's my van after a night of accumulation on Mt. Rainier. You can just make out the chains.

Good picture! Thanks for sharing
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

Needlenoddlenoo wrote:
The thing I like about those chains is they go over the wheel , you don’t roll onto them , which is good for us because we often sleep in the van up on the mountain and wake up to snow . Good luck on your road trip .
Ivan

Yeah, I like the fact that you don’t have to roll over. Sometimes, if you wake up to that amount snow, it’s not practical to start rolling over some chains .
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

mcbbcn wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Thank you for the advice. I was looking for snow chains because I will be driving across a state that will require good traction on ice conditions but the trip will be over 1,500 miles and I'll be driving south in a state with temperatures of 70f-80f where no studded tires are allowed. That is why I was looking for something I could put in the tires and take out as the temps get warmer and state regulation change.

Counterpoint

Two studded snows for traction and swap them on if needed. Not as easy as chains and you need to find room for an extra wheel , but a solution if you can't find a chain solution with clearance.

Thaks for the chain reference needle. I don't use snows anymore on my T4 as I keep it off road during salty season, but I should think about chains as a cheaper traction plan. Hmmmmm
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow chains for Eurovan? I'm reading mixed information... Reply with quote

I ended up buying the Le Schwab ones as @Needlenoddlenoo suggested. Thanks for the reference too. I think if I find myself in a tight situation, it is good to have them as back, when everything else fails. Thanks everyone!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: