Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan shroud flaps
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
As I said above it is my opinion the flaps are part of the heater system,

Dave, you're entitled to your opinion.

But it's not part of the heading system.

The 1973 VW Thing had no heater boxes and used a gas heater for heat..... they had thermostat and flaps installed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
My buggy with no flaps takes 10-15 miles running 60mph to get the oil fully up to operating temperature in 65°F ambient temps. With ambiet temperature around 55° the oil never warms up fully if I'm only driving in town.

I could never get my first buggy to warm up in western WA. Oil temp usually ran about 90F over the outside temp with a power pulley on the engine and stock doghouse shroud. The engine was a stock DP longblock with Kadrons, an 009, 1.25 rockers, and dual exhaust. Where I live it rarely gets to 90F.

That said, VW did run a couple applications without a thermostat. Late Mexican fuel injected engines and early single sidedraft type 3 engines didn't have a thermstat. So everyone do what you want, you're paying for it either way. Cool
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I have not run thermostat or flaps on any VW engine I have owned in the last 30 years. I'm not going to get into arguments or disputes about it. As I said above it is my opinion the flaps are part of the heater system, not the cooling system. Most of my engines currently have the 36HP style fan shrouds.

I have no interest in arguing either. However, the flaps inside the fan shroud direct air at the cylinders/heads when they open. Many people who hate the thermostats will still install the air direction flaps and weld them open for that reason.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

vwracerdave, I see by your signature what you use your VWs for. That's cool and no you don't need temperature control on the drag strip. In fact you really don't need the fan and top tins either. Back in the '70's when I was following the VW drag scene in the magazines there were a number of fellows who ran the 1/4 mile without fans, tins and even generators. Just a set of Webers, an extractor and a magneto. Some even push started to save the weight of a battery and starter.

Darrell Vitton(spelling could be wrong)was one of them. He ran a VW powered Fiat at that time. I hear he competes in vintage now.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Most people don't have a complete set to run, or care to go to the trouble to find all the parts, therefore tend not to have them on their engines. I feel this is the primary reason so few use them on builds, not whether or not they find them necessary. Once deleted, the question of whether they are necessary is an exercise of conversational reverse engineering.. I've always used them and feel I have increased the longevity of my engine builds as a result. But I live up north.

Chopperimpala, Most (all?) aftermarket shrouds aren't drilled for them. The flap housings have threaded dropouts, so all you really have to do is drill some holes in the shroud for mounting screws to go thru. Your cylinder tin will need to be slotted for the shroud to fit over them with the flaps.

In order to determine locations for them, you'll need the crossbar that ties the two flap assemblies together. I think there are two different ones, for doghouse and non doghouse shrouds.

Mount the t-stat, housing, and actuator rod on your engine first. Rod goes between the combustion chambers on the head in an obvious wide galley. Since that rod moves the flaps above it, the alignment of that passenger side flap in the fan shroud is key.

Once that side is done, use the crossbar to determine spacing for where the second set of flaps should be in relation to the first.

Do yourself a huge favor and don't have anything mounted on your shroud, you are going to have it on and off of your engine dozens of times and won't want the extra weight. Its optimal to have the engine at bench height for this work as well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that each side has its own distinct flap assembly, beware that you get a right and a left when buying them. Right hand side flaps have a small fabricated receptacle for the actuator rod that goes between the t-stat and the flaps on that side.

PM me if you have questions, I may be able to help. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by wythac on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

I think two things are really overlooked when it comes to having these thermostat and shroud flaps on a stock engine-

1) The car's heater works SSOO much better and the air coming out gets hotter much faster.

2) Cold engine driveability.

I bought my 67 in Los Angeles where it lived it's life. Of course the engine was missing the thermostat, flaps, etc. The warm air hoses were not hooked up to the oil bath and it was missing the pipes at the heads to hook them to. The engine was a cold blooded pig until after about 7 minutes of driving. The heater never got really hot and took a long time.
After installing those missing items, the engine runs perfectly and drives perfectly first thing in the am. Start it up and drive off. The heater will bake you now and it does it fast.

The good news is these parts are plentiful out there in good used condition. So many were removed that we'll never run out. Laughing Many people sell complete sets in the classifieds on this site.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Guys, To those of us who have not taken the engine apart—how do you tell if you have the system, or not? (looking from the outside of an intact engine) Thanks.

Jim
Manx #2614
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Look between the passenger side sled tins and the pushrod tubes on the RH side and you should see a ribbed cylindrical object. That's the thermostat. See if it has a small rod protruding from its top into the head.

From the rear of the car you should see two machine screws going into the shroud on each lower outside corner, just above the cylinder tin. These would be the two rear mounting screws for the flap assemblies, with two more around the front on each side, 4 each, 8 total.

And, if you reach around by the cooling fan inlet you should feel a 20" long metal bar going across the motor behind the fan that connects the two flap assemblies over each cylinder bank.

You may have just some of the hardware...its likely not functional if you are missing a piece.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
Guys, To those of us who have not taken the engine apart—how do you tell if you have the system, or not? (looking from the outside of an intact engine) Thanks.

Jim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

chopperimpala wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys, I know there is more than just the flaps in the equasion, it was just easier to type "flaps" as the generic for the whole setup. I WILL be running the flaps for a couple of reasons.... 1, I am a California guy now living in a snowy/rainy winter, spring, and fall area. I want the buggy to warm up to the correct temperature for driving around town. No not in the snow, but in the fall and spring, in the mornings when I will be taking Bella (ite her Buggy) to school in the mornings, mid 30 degree weather is common. 2 I know what happens to moto s when they are not correctly fully warmed up to operating temperature when it's cold out, moisture and condensation doesn't burn off and out of the motor causing potential problems. If I run it with no flaps ant it's say 35-40 degrees out, that fan blowing will most likely have a windchill factor of below 30 degrees constantly blowing on the motor, can't possibly heat up correctly.
Now those who are in a warm climate, or only drive during the warm months understandably don't need them as bad as I feel I need them??

Wind chill factor...seriously?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

drumbum68 wrote:
Wind chill factor...seriously?

Yup, seriously!

My dad told me back in the early '70s that I was stupid to take the thermostat off my Bug and throw it away. I sure was and remained stupid for another 40 years. Sorry Dad!

Now that I have gotten just smart enough to put it all back on my present ride and experienced the difference, I wonder how I could have been so stupid for so long!

Mind you I had help... just sayin'! Wink
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Uhmm. Windchill factor has nothing to do with an engine.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Flaps may be good for preheating the motor, but not good when they stick shut and you fry the motor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Flaps may be good for preheating the motor, but not good when they stick shut and you fry the motor

Unless the linkage is stuck, there's a spring that pulls them open of the thermostat fails.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:

Unless the linkage is stuck, there's a spring that pulls them open of the thermostat fails.

Wow, simply wow. Some folks are simply uneducated. He's clearly-

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Possible, yes, but in over forty years of being around these engines and around all the people that drove the cars that used them, I've not heard of one failure attributed to the thermostat system getting stuck in the closed position.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

drumbum68 wrote:
Uhmm. Windchill factor has nothing to do with an engine.

Oh? Please explain why not.
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Boy, a simple question sure ruffled a lot of feathers!!

As far as windchill factor, as I see it, if it's 30 degrees out and a fan is blowing that 30 degree air fast across the cylinder fins, I'm pretty sure that air that's moving is colder than the ambient "non moving" air is?

Then again I'm just a dumb car guy wanting my daughter and I to be warm during the early spring and fall months in the PNW, so what do I know?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

I'll stop this line of contention before it gets going. Windchill is most commonly used to measure the perception of temperature on skin...the quicker heat is whisked away from the surface of your skin, the colder it makes you feel, so 30F with a 0 mph wind feels warmer than 30F blowing across your skin at 30mph. This is because heat generated by your body warms a thin layer of air next to it...the more the wind blows, the quicker this layer is removed, and the colder you feel.

However, the same principles apply for blowing air across a heated surface like your cylinders and heads...if there was no difference in the cooling ability of air at 0mph than the speed at which your fan can blow air across your engine's cooling surfaces, there would be no need for the fan, because it would make no difference in the temp of your engine surfaces.

Both processes involve the movement of air over a surface and the difference between the temp of the air and the temp of the surface, creating a dynamic environment where heat is exchanged. The increase in the speed at which air flows over a surface effects an increase in the rate at which the temperature of that surface will change.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud flaps Reply with quote

Exactly right!

The term "wind chill" is not normally associated with inanimate objects but the principle is the same. As long as there is no source of heat, there is no loss of heat therefore no wind chill.

Those of us from the frozen north are pretty familiar with this transfer of heat caused by moving air. At -30 you plug the block heater in to be able to start your car in the morning and there is a world of difference between plugged in parked in the car port or plugged in in the open yard when the wind blew all night!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: