Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 Westfalia Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Shinnlinger wrote:
Nice work. I'm considering making this a "parts bus" but since you saved yours I might have to step up my game.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Save it !!! If the bones are good, make that baby a beater; looks pretty complete. Or just sent it down to me.

Also... what is that Vanagon doing on the roof?
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

https://www.kidsvt.com/vermont/vw-bus-cupola/Content?oid=2190920
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Shinnlinger wrote:
https://www.kidsvt.com/vermont/vw-bus-cupola/Content?oid=2190920

That is some funny shit Cool Laughing

Going the extra mile on any bus now a days pays off. Who is to know for sure what these will be worth in 5-10 years. If you are into the hobby, I think it's very healthy to go through a restoration at least once. Wink

It's good for you to learn and good for the bus to live another 40. Or until rockets replace them.

We need to tart a "Value My Bus $hit" thread Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

I agree, the amount I've learned about baywindows so far is insane, I think I have about half of the Bentley manual memorized so far. Definitely spent some money too, but nothing compares to the experience... or what it would cost at a body shop. It'll just make me appreciate my bus that much more. Plus I plan on my next project either being an early bay or late splitty, so second time around should be a bit easier. Can't wait for that first camping trip

That Vanagon story is really, really cool. My dream is to have some space and property like that some day.
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Been awhile since the last update on the Frankenbus/ Rotten Twinkie. More body work done, and I've gotten the interior fitted. I've also been driving the bus a bit.. didn't really have a choice because my shop, aka girlfriends garage came to an end with the end of her lease. Still a ton to do, but it's a decent stopping point; just found out last week that I was accepted into the Navy officer program I've been trying for and I'll be leaving for OCS in a month or so.

Brakes are all rebuilt, getting those rear hub nuts off was terrible. I had to get a T handle Breaker bar with a 3' extension and jump on it. Heat and PB blaster were essential. Been tuning the carbs and getting odds and ends taken care of. PO mounted the carbs on backwards (I thought the linkage looked a little weird) so had to get a new accelerator cable. If anyone is running a duel carb setup on their IV, a stock 1974 cable will fit perfectly.

Days and days of wiring are finally coming to an end. Have my essential idiot lights wired (battery, oil, blinker/flasher, and high beam warning) as well as the instrument lights, interior dome light, all of my exterior lights, windshield wipers and some other random components. Cant get my transistorized Hella fluorescent camping light working. It has power and a new bulb, but it's pretty beat up. May just have to find a new one. Also wired up my 12v converter, next will be the AUX battery system. The outlet underneath the Z-bed works, but I'm not getting anything to the fridge. I'll have to spend some time with the wiring diagram.

Finally, here are some photos. Like I said, lots to do still, but it's sure better than when I started. Threw one in there of when the tow truck dropped it off on March 12th ish.

I'll be at ACE Cafe in Orlando this Friday, there's a Bus/van meetup. Would love to meet some fellow Samba members.

Cheers,
Seth

Frankenbus (sold)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674133&highlight=

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift

Last edited by sethpat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Looking to get my engine bay roasted.

The wires zip tied to the top are for the fresh air fan. Waiting on a missing relay so I can wire it in.
I know I need a fan cover, just haven't been able to find one.

Anything else painfully obvious?

Thanks,
Seth

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

I have a fan cover, PM me if you are interested. I cant fully remember how good of shape it is in, it wasn't a waste for sure. I can send you pictures if you're interested.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Shocked photobucket shitcaned all your early pics Shocked Sad Sad

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked photobucket shitcaned all your early pics Shocked Sad Sad

For those having trouble with Photobucket
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

You can buy the screen new from bus depot.

Looking good.

That vanagon is my twin...challenge accepted...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Back in town and have been able to do a few odds and ends on the bus. I finally fixed all of the stupid photobucket links.

Replaced a rotted out panel on my fridge/stove. It doesn't really match in the slightest, but its a nice solid piece of wood and it was free. Got it cleaned up, threw it in the bus, ran a test wire and unbelievably the fridge works like a champ. After about 30 minutes everything was nice and cold. I have all of the interior wiring for it but have no idea how the black and white wires that go from the selector panel are supposed to wire to the aux battery system.

I also put a new pump in my sink and wired it to the #7 fuse since I didn't have anything running off of it. Sweet new stereo in the bus now too

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Yosemite Yellow and funky orange muffler

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

I have rotted out rear frame where the motor mount brackets fit all the way to rear bumper. Any advice how to replace? I found replacements at Alan Shoefield...where did you get yours?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
I have rotted out rear frame where the motor mount brackets fit all the way to rear bumper. Any advice how to replace? I found replacements at Alan Shoefield...where did you get yours?

Thankfully my frame was actually in decent shape, I just replaced the tops of the engine tin metal, the inner and outer valence as well as both battery trays and each corner. Problem for you is that you're going to have to remove a lot in order to get access to those frame ends.

It's not that bad, just keep looking at photos and comparing with your bus to figure out where you need to cut... then get to it!

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Just did my 500 mile oil change and tuneup last week. Everything looked good so yesterday I drove the bus to Tampa for the Lightning game. Took back roads the whole way, ended up being around 200 miles round trip. No issues besides that on the way home it was about 35 degrees and it was freezing inside the bus. Drove in a coat and wrapped my legs in a blanket haha.

I've been wanting a table for the back so I threw one together today with some scrap wood I had lying around the house and a 1" flange

Gotta say driving the bus has been a blast. Hoping for some longer trips soon

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Not too much to report from the last few weeks. It's getting quite warm down in FL already so working on the bus is pretty rough. I'm enjoying doing other little jobs that aren't cutting and welding.

Added a headbanger cabinet that I found on Craigslist for $25, finally got all of my locks situated (down to two keys) and got a matching VW engine bay lock from Orange Bus Bob. My engine bay is nice and sealed up and it's been running pretty good even in these 85 degree days. Replaced that POS Empi muffler I had with a stock unit that I got from Bob as well and it seems to be much happier. I think it sounds better and looks better too. Ran a line to connect my crankcase breather to one of the pod air filters, the fuel vent lines will be next. Put some string lights up that were gifted to us too.

I think my master cylinder just went out the other day. I was a few blocks from home when the brake pedal decided to go to the floor. It would still stop but I had to push the pedal all the way to the floor and the pedal was extremely spongy. I found my drivers side caliper to be leaking so I went ahead and picked up a rebuilt unit from my local import store. It was $20 for a rebuild kit or $70 for the caliper so I said screw it and went with the caliper. I've already rebuilt this one once but I think there may be some pitting from sitting for so many years. Anyways, I put the new one on, bled the whole system and the brakes are still spongy, leading me to think it's the MC. It's a new unit that came with the bus but it was purchased around 2012 and sat until I put it in last August. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Before the brake issue I was driving the bus a ton. To and from the beach, and all around town. My cheapo home paint job is holding up pretty good, and I'm really pleased with how the bed liner turned out. It's a nice layer of insulation and protection. Signing off before my old lady yells at me for being on the iPad for too long.

Oh, and I put a new flag on my mailbox.

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud here, any chance running with a non functioning brake servo could've caused my MC to prematurely fail?

Cheers,
Seth

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

sethpat wrote:
Not too much to report from the last few weeks. It's getting quite warm down in FL already so working on the bus is pretty rough.

Yep, I'm right there with ya on that. I honestly have no idea why I still live in FL...

Nice updates, and the bus is looking good!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
sethpat wrote:
Not too much to report from the last few weeks. It's getting quite warm down in FL already so working on the bus is pretty rough.

Yep, I'm right there with ya on that. I honestly have no idea why I still live in FL...

Because 2 feet of snow, 0*F, and a real feel of -20*F. And salt, so you cant drive your van half the year unless you want to restore it 3 years down the road...
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Westfalia Deluxe Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
sethpat wrote:

Thanks! I’m excited to finally get to the point where I’m driving it more than I’m working on it.

I’m also sick of Florida but sure as hell not going as far North as Detroit. I think the mountains of North Carolina have the perfect weather for me.

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: