Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 up bumper differences
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

Hi I'm trying to work out when the europa style front bumpers grew in length. My 69 bug has its original front bumper but it's a little creased up. So I've been looking out for a replacement but can only seem to find bumpers approx 3 inches longer than mine and more curved at each end.

Mine

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NOS German bumper from the classifieds

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can anyone tell me when did this change happen?
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

I recently was trying to figure out a possibly similar situation myself:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684082&highlight=mystery+bumper

I had purchased this NOS German bumper from a SAMBA classifieds vendor, but turned out it would not fit using the standard brackets for ’68 through ’73 (I think) models. Although indeed NOS and German manufactured item, evidently was not of VW origin – stamping inside said “LMB” and “Made in Germany”.

We both still initially thought that it should fit on front of late 60’s / early 70’s Beetles, but ultimately had no luck. Would be interested to know if bumper you got turns out to be similar size and shape, maybe? One odd identifying characteristic on mine was the “double” set of holes at each mounting location (ref. pics in link above).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
I recently was trying to figure out a possibly similar situation myself:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684082&highlight=mystery+bumper

I had purchased this NOS German bumper from a SAMBA classifieds vendor, but turned out it would not fit using the standard brackets for ’68 through ’73 (I think) models. Although indeed NOS and German manufactured item, evidently was not of VW origin – stamping inside said “LMB” and “Made in Germany”.

We both still initially thought that it should fit on front of late 60’s / early 70’s Beetles, but ultimately had no luck. Would be interested to know if bumper you got turns out to be similar size and shape, maybe? One odd identifying characteristic on mine was the “double” set of holes at each mounting location (ref. pics in link above).

I don't think we've the same problem tbh, I've asked a couple of part suppliers to measure the repro bumpers on offer for 68 model bug and they come out at 66-67 inches, but they will fit a 68 bug unlike the bumper you had a problem with.

I guess vw must have changed the length at a point in time so was hoping to find out when this change happened.
I prefer the shorter 63 inch bumper on my bug and if I can't find a replacement the same length I guess I'll have to get mine straightened and re chromed.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:

I don't think we've the same problem tbh, I've asked a couple of part suppliers to measure the repro bumpers on offer for 68 model bug and they come out at 66-67 inches, but they will fit a 68 bug unlike the bumper you had a problem with.

I guess vw must have changed the length at a point in time so was hoping to find out when this change happened.
I prefer the shorter 63 inch bumper on my bug and if I can't find a replacement the same length I guess I'll have to get mine straightened and re chromed.

Hi baz, mind if I ask which suppliers you have contacted so far?
Most of them do not give bumper lengths on their website- I was looking at the vwheritage site and it shows bumpers that look like the more non-curved ends like yours but cannot be sure because of the lack of specifications.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
baz76 wrote:

Hi baz, mind if I ask which suppliers you have contacted so far?
Most of them do not give bumper lengths on their website- I was looking at the vwheritage site and it shows bumpers that look like the more non-curved ends like yours but cannot be sure because of the lack of specifications.

Vw heritage told me their front measures 66 inches across the black strip. Couple of vendors with NOS bumpers measure the same.
Veewee list a German made bumper and the pic looks like the shorter stye, I've emailed them and am waiting to hear back.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:

Vw heritage told me their front measures 66 inches across the black strip. Couple of vendors with NOS bumpers measure the same.
Veewee list a German made bumper and the pic looks like the shorter stye, I've emailed them and am waiting to hear back.

Cool. I noticed they have the "good" quality bumper for around 120£ that looked more curved, but I was looking at their stainless steel bumper (much more expensive @ 640£) that looked straighter, just wondering if you asked about both. Good luck with the search!

1600 SP engine
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

Just had a reply from veewee and their German made bumpers are 67 inches!

Anyone know anywhere stocking a 63 inch bumper?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:

I'm beginning to think your 63" bumper is wrong. Smile

1600 SP engine
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
baz76 wrote:

I'm beginning to think your 63" bumper is wrong. Smile

Yeah I hear you, however once you notice the difference you can spot straight away a short bumper versus a long bumper and I see lots of short bumpers in pics of 68/69 bugs.

My car is or rather was 100/% original, no sign of anything changed and my bumper is genuine vw with the stamp underneath, and it's rippled and creased enough to be 48 years old.

I've a vague recollection of seeing repro bumpers advertised for sale in 2 different lengths, think they were stainless but can't find where that was now
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

Thinking out loud but perhaps the change came in 71 with the super bug so they could use the same bumper on both?

Edit. Found the place selling front bumpers in different lengths, bumperworld eu lists them at €899 a pair.

Quote from their website

Beetles from 1968 to 1974 and Super Beetle (1302 and 1303) from 1971 to 1974 bumpers. Kit consists of front and rear bumpers. We do supply 2 types of front bumpers - the difference is the distance from tip to tip: the shorter one is 144 cm and the longer one is 149 cm. Please specify when ordering.

So mine is the144cm type and I guess the longer ones are to fit supers too.

Reckon I'll get mine fixed.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 up bumper differences Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
...the longer ones are to fit supers...
x2
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: