Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door skin removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Door skin removal Reply with quote

1970 Beetle. has these inner door latches: http://www.jbugs.com/product/113837019BChrome.html
Drivers side is busted
Buddy of mine gave me some doors that has these: http://www.jbugs.com/product/113837019B.html
I can't get these to come off: http://www.jbugs.com/product/113837239BCHM.html
What is the trick to get the finger cover plate off?
There are no screws evident nor any way apparent to get these things to come apart.
Help?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Door skin removal Reply with quote

Pretty sure you take a flat head screw driver and poke at it from the side closest to the latch. Hold the door latch open while you do it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Door skin removal Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Pretty sure you take a flat head screw driver and poke at it from the side closest to the latch. Hold the door latch open while you do it.

Sorry, I don't understand...Can you please explain? I have poked at it from both sides and tried from the back. It seems like the beauty ring fits over the finger pull cover. Can't get the beauty ring off, can't get the finger pull cover to come out through the beauty ring
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Door skin removal Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Door skin removal Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats what I have been seeing. Wanted to make sure I wasn't going to bbreak it.
Thanks so much!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Door skin removal Reply with quote

if you pull the latch handle, open, you can access with a pry bar the cover in an area that wont show pry bar damage readily if damage were to occur. In fact there should be a notch located there for the pry bar. it should be visible after you pull the latch handle open all the way. By prying as the prior photograph shows, that location of the pry may result in nicking of the part in a highly visible location.
So pull the latch handle open and pry from the other end of the plastic cover. once cover is removed, there is a screw that you need to remove, then the bezel can come off.

also note the word "door skin" typically refers to the exterior metal skin of the door, not the upolsetered interior door panel, or door trim panel, or door panel. that is what the green colored panel in the photograph should be called, not door skin.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: