Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
...Because you know, ever bay owner needs a Kangaroo bar in the delta.

They also serve a dual purpose of fending off Wolly Mammoths... Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

If you don't have the time to do the drive. Have him throw it on a Greyhound.
Good luck
Tcash
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

The casa:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had a couple days off, so I spent last night on the Hot Springs KOA, camped up, with electric and wifi...sure was tough.

Is it a highlight for others, to have a good cup of joe in the morning?

After attending a local show and shine, with a decent turn out (25), dad and I made our way back to town. Took the time since I was off, to replace the side window seal. The top of the seal seam had split some years ago, and had shrunk into allowing a inch gap, which was a leaking hazard.
Going into removing the original seal, attempting to cut it loose proved that the seal had long dried up, crumbling and allowing the glass to “rattle”.

Pinch welds looked good, with a little service rust along the bottom channel.

With a good thirty minute venture and some steady “slap a da bass”, we got the window installed with the new seal.

Brand of seal is unknown, no label or pressing, purchased from Bus Depot, received loose in a box with no immediate packaging.
Have the rear hatch window seal to be installed soon. All the seals around the bus feel like a pumice stone...

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Looks great! My windshield seal from Bus Depot was a great fit. How is the fitnon that side window?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Looks great! My windshield seal from Bus Depot was a great fit. How is the fitnon that side window?

Heres the link for the seal, it states that it is genuine VW, perhaps Brazilian. Seal was uniform and clean, nice and thick. If it weren’t for my diligence and previous years of auto glass work, it may deter a lad or two, but it is consistent throughout the window, fits the corners nicely, curvature is crisp. Well worth the $30.
http://www.busdepot.com/211845341
Part# 211845341

Note that when doing automotive glass work, more particularly rope in applications, to have a helper on the outside, to apply consistent pressure when needed and to “slap a da bass” when necessary. Always slap with the whole palm, never just the wrist or the end of the hand towards the fingers. Slap the glass in its solid stages, never along the edges, and before you know it, you sir have reinstalled original VW glass.

I definitely gained a horsepower eliminating the drag that hole in the seal was creating...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

That's good news! I want to try and get the rest of mine done before winter.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
That's good news! I want to try and get the rest of mine done before winter.

Winter?! What, 60 degrees and wind??!

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I know, right?! Laughing

Some light sprinkling around here and everything grinds to a halt. It's so mild that my Weber Progressive works just fine in "the dead of winter" Ha!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
It's so mild that my Weber Progressive works just fine in "the dead of winter" Ha!

That has to be a sin.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Escape again to Hot Springs for a two night and a day exploratory adventure. It’s a foolish tell, for one to think they must have a literal house on wheels to have an enjoyable time, I mean cmon, check out how awesome the bus looks, and it isn’t all bloated and obnoxious, even if it is a fat chick!

I caught up with the history of the bath houses, got my fingers wet in the natural springs, muy caliente, and got a lot of thumbs up for holding down the block.

When I was just a kid, my dad would tag me along to this German restaurant (mainly a beer joint) but they had really good, authentic food, and him having spent a few deployments over in Germany, I think he really enjoyed being able to grab a bite and reminisce.
Here it is, 20 years later, and I reminisce over a German bar in downtown Hot Springs because my dad loved it. It’s weird how things become fond memories, I don’t recall anything particular about that day, just dad and I together, hanging out being buds, eating brauts.

Though I hung around for the time to cook and capture a little bit of nostalgia, I took my dish to a place of true dining, the top of West Mountain.

Just over a 1000ft, this is the highest elevation that I have personally taken the bus. Nothing, but a good climb of about 500ft from town, here, I sat along a stone wall, overlooking the once getaway of the 20’s gangsters, chowing down on some good ole food.

This camping thing is a great time, and I really enjoy talking to the old timers, sharing their tales and sharing insight to things that once were and the perspective life allows you to develop over time. Life is neat. So are people. Or perhaps they really just wanna talk to the bus, and I just so happen to be in the way...hmmm.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Deep down they are a little jealous, they just wish they could be driving a simple powered tent like you have, the flush toilets, generator and on board washing machine makes the wife happy, but in reality they wouldn't mind keeping it simple and peeing on a tree like you have it.

Great post Sam, that's what it's really all about, get out there and use it and have fun! And the side adventures along the way are a happy bonus that makes your life richer in the long run, try finding a parking spot for that massive motormansion out front of that bar Wink . Very Happy

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Today’s adventure, slider door maintenance.
Starting conditions of mechanisms and rollers:

Gummed up and gritty.

Owner’s never read the owner’s manual??

As you can guess, looks like decades of neglect. The nylon block is broken, the bottom track was covered in dried grease and dirt, and the front latch of the locking mechanism wasn’t engaging correctly with the front striker. Somehow the linkage in the back of the sliding door locking mechanism (the unit that is set to the door and has the cables coming out) and was not allowing the latch to function properly.

While assessing the mess, I removed the old dried up, decaying weatherstripping/ door seal. I have a new seal in the mail to be here tomorrow.

All of this attention, is due to feeling like an ass camping the past few days camping, it was simply obnoxious closing the door in the evenings and once in the middle of the night.

Though I do not have any images of the components cleaned up, I currently have everything lubed up and reassembled.

I also installed UHMW tape along the top and bottom tracks, as it seemed to help damping the roller noise. The door shuts more smoothly, though it is still a good slam shut. The function is just a lot cleaner now. Since I do not have a new nylon block, I am thinking when I get around to ordering one, Ill perhaps pick up a new bottom, vertical roller.

I am now able to close the door with a little less effort from the inside and also lock it if need be, though with the fridge/stove cabinet in it’s location, it is a little difficult to get to the lock, let alone the handle to open the door alone.

Also replaced the rear hatch window seal, which was a seal for $18 from Bus Depot. Seal went in like butter, it is a little soft, and the shape is decent. Packaged from Parts International with Brazil on tag, not a complete trash seal, but there are certainly better seals. No more rattled glass though, so we’ll watch the wear and time on the rubber.

Also have the “second best” front door seals from BD. Tired of the wind whistles and rain leaks, $40 for the two, we’ll see what they’re worth. To be continued...

Edit: here is an video explaining to an extent, the process of removing the sliding door and servicing the necessary components.
https://youtu.be/8E99Fp6V_j8

Last edited by SamboSamba22 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
I am now able to close the door with a little less effort from the inside and also lock it if need be, though with the fridge/stove cabinet in it’s location, it is a little difficult to get to the lock, let alone the handle to open the door alone....

Do you have the rear handle on the inside of your door?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Rear handle?? Tell us more. Is it a Westy thing?
I installed a door release on the rear hatch, just so I could get out of the back.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I have the stationary handle on the back of the slider, which I do use to shut the door. Though upon opening the slider, I have to reach between the door and the fridge cabinet, which is probably 5 inches.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I installed a door release on the rear hatch, just so I could get out of the back.

Yes, it's a Westfalia thing, those OTW campers didn't quite reproduce all the little details that made the real deal so nice Razz
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142155&highlight=rear+handle
It's easily retrofitted to any bus. Wink

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Yes, it's a Westfalia thing, those OTW campers didn't quite reproduce all the little details that made the real deal so nice Razz

Wow.. I did not know that! My 'stupid' question is was that an additional door handle along with the one in the normal place? Why was it installed?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Though upon opening the slider, I have to reach between the door and the fridge cabinet, which is probably 5 inches.

I'm guessing you don't have the special Westfalia handle for icebox equipped buses?, they are rare and break just like the regular bus ones when your SO gets her hands on it and savages it in the wrong direction, but I thought I saw someone reproducing them recently.
Here's an example from the classifieds: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2001501

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Wow.. I did not know that! My 'stupid' question is was that an additional door handle along with the one in the normal place? Why was it installed?

To avoid winding up and slamming the slider after that 3:00 AM pee excursion, you can sneak the door shut and pull the rear latch in without waking the other occupants as well as the rest of the campsite Wink

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

To avoid winding up and slamming the slider after that 3:00 AM pee excursion, you can sneak the door shut and pull the rear latch in without waking the other occupants as well as the rest of the campsite Wink

The link you provided Bus Daddy, the image shared by TCash of the rear handle looks identical to my bus. I don’t reallly know how one would effectively close the slider without this rear handle with cabinetry.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 58

Jump to: