Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garry S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please? Reply with quote

I'm considering this Beetle, and would like those with more experience to tell me if they see anything glaring in these photos. History is not known, and I'm particularly concerned about prior rust repairs and evidence of potential future problems.

I haven't seen the car in person yet, hope to soon.

I know looking at pics isn't fool-proof, I just want more educated eyes than mine to have a look!

Thank you,
Garry

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Garry S on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Repairs Please? Reply with quote

I don't see anything too abnormal, looks fairly clean.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please? Reply with quote

left front fender maybe replacement, insdie of it is different color than inner wheel well, headlamp wires wires are unsheathed also indiacting repair here. non stock horn.

underside shot shows two different colors of the pan halves, could be one side was replaced hence tne different colors.

Engine is very leaky, rusty pushrod tubes. Certainly not a fresh motor, but it may run just fine

inspect for bondo with a magnet, pay attention to lower surfaces as there where rust usually starts. also check for bondo near the afore mentioned fender , and that quarter panel in partcular.
Check gaps at doors and hood, check inside trunk and engine bay for signs of body work.

Tahat all I can makemout of these photos, I maybe be wrong.

Nothing I see indicates anything horrible, cars do get in fender benders, pans do get replaced, if done nicely pan replacement is not a problem, but it does indicate other things be looked at closely, makemsure rust pan was not cuased by a leaky rear glass seal, as that can cause the floor behind rear seat, u der rear glass to rust, and that can be hidden under the carpet. that panel is a bit more involved to replace, list all carpets to assess.

good luck hope it is a kce car for you, if not, another one will come along.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please? Reply with quote

Everything looks p good except for the drivers side pic where it shows the body and pan relation, just in front of the torsion bar plate. I can't tell, but it looks like a length of haggard welding or caulking... right where the body/seal/pan all interact. I'd check that area a little closer just to see what's going on there... it's a trouble spot because of the tire throwing debris in that direction during use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please? Reply with quote

Tunnel looks wet....some kind of leak there? Brake lines? Fuel lines?
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please? Reply with quote

Body stuff looks fairly decent ...but, one would think that if someone had done a thorough rebuild, they would have paid more attention to the under-engine messiness ....and maybe would have at least cleaned up the under-gas-tank area and spruced things up in there a bit. If it was re-done as driver, those areas would likely have been left as-is. But, you have to wonder: if those areas were overlooked ..what else got overlooked?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please? Reply with quote

Right side pan has been replaced, or at least the section back by the battery -- note the vertical wrinkles in the sheetmetal from the stamping process commonly seen on aftermarket panels.

Overall looks to be a pretty decent condition car. The messiness noted may very well be due to the car being driven quite a bit since the work was performed.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please? Reply with quote

I need a price to go with it. If it was covered in rust and for sale for a $1 it might be worth it.

That one looks good though. I expect you will pay a pretty penny.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Garry S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please? Reply with quote

Here's the car:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2078592

How's the price?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Check these Pics for Evidence of Rust Problems Please? Reply with quote

Only you can decide if the price is acceptable. Personally I think it’s very nice and actually remember looking at the ad. Couple of notes, not that I matters but the bumpers are reproductions, not original. Considering it’s supposedly a California car that’s unusual to me and shows it wasn’t a top notch resto. Also, the engine isn’t original, again wouldn’t stop me from buying it but it’s worth noting. I didn’t look at the photobucket pics but how is the paint under the trunk? For 12500, it should definitely be a quality repaint.

My $.02
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: