Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Youtube has videos on engine removal (and harness maybe as well).If the timing belt hasn't been done at 100,000mi,then you should do it with a water pump as well.(youTube videos as well).You will need a 95 ECU pinout to do your harness. Decide what vendor's parts you will use.Decide on your coolant layout. Search the files at subaruvanagon,build sites and builds documented on theSamba.Use Google search ie. VW vanagon _________.
Good luck.
http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/ts_conversion.htm
http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

88 Wolfsburg auto Carat with 02 Subaru 2.5L(2003)

Brent Weide has a section on engine prep. In add'n to the timing belt/WP, a few other things: coolant temp sensor,PCV,plug wires,test ignition coil, test resistance on cam/crank sensors, cam seals,reverse coolant manifold?,shortened oil pan,aftermarket oil pressure/coolant temp sensors?
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by jeffsab on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Question. When looking for a donor car is it important what transmission it has?
My '86 vanagon is a stick, so should I be looking for a manual transmission Legacy model?
Txs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

jocoman wrote:
Question. When looking for a donor car is it important what transmission it has?

Only thing I have seen is that stick Subaru have this little arc lip over top of crank timing sprocket. Boxer Mic calls it a "bump guard" in his video. It is available from dealer apparently tho, so no real worries. Otherwise stuff is virtually the same, as far as a conversion goes.

The kit you get, regardless of from who, will be specific to your setup, I.E. if yours is a manny, you get the manny kit.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

I would recommend removing the wiring harness first. Then modify the harness and reconnect the modified harness to the donor Subaru. This will tell you everything is working before pulling the motor. It could save you some time and effort in troubleshooting.
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
I would recommend removing the wiring harness first. Then modify the harness and reconnect the modified harness to the donor Subaru. This will tell you everything is working before pulling the motor. It could save you some time and effort in troubleshooting.

Not sure how that would work. Have you done this?
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

jeffsab wrote:
Ives676 wrote:

Would be easier to have Jeff do your harness then going this route...

He will test the harness before sending it back to you... and stands behind his work... He did mine and supplied detailed instruction on the hook up.... van started right up.....

http://www.autoventuresllc.net/
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
jeffsab wrote:
Ives676 wrote:

He will test the harness before sending it back to you... and stands behind his work... He did mine and supplied detailed instruction on the hook up.... van started right up.....

Yes pull the harness. Don't pull the motor. Send the harness to Jeff or modify it yourself. When he sends the tested harness back to you hook up all the connections to the motor to test all systems functioning. I haven't personally done this but I have seen others suggesting this as one way to eliminate any possible wiring harness issues. The test motor Jeff is using isn't your motor. It isn't adding any work to the process for you. Maybe a time delay while you wait on the harness to be completed.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

the harness is en route to jeff. will be working on the next steps coming up soon. my usual SOP is get the harness back and test run the engine in the donor. I hate trying to start a new engine without knowing that I have eliminated any issues. jeffs harness work is rock solid, so I am not too worried, but like any chef will tell you, when you tweek the recipe the outcome could be a mess

more to come....

From this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...mp;start=0
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:

Already in touch with him. Even though I am in no hurry...
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

I've been thinking about the remove harness first, modify, then test on engine left installed just mentioned. Yes yes yes. However, now no, as mine came out already.

Next thought was that I have the donor, the transmission is only a few bolts and nuts away from being free of the car. Anyone know of a thread with good/bad ideas of how to use the tranny for a test bed? Seems like a bit of angle iron or such could be used to rig up a decent holder to get it to run prior to dismantling the WBX harness, etc. from the Van. It'd be a bit of peace of mind, to say the least.

Ideas? Pictures? I know the guy in Wisconsin just has a few complete Subaru's sitting in his yard for such tests... I don't feel ready to get that involved, yet I think the bits and pieces of the one I do have could be mighty useful.

I do see the value of having someone else do the harness, or at least just send it out for a test good/bad prior. Im just too cheap to have it fully done rather than try it myself.
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

So plans have changed, in a big way.

Short story is that I moved to Portland, OR. Without time to do the conversion beforehand, I sold the Legacy wagon, drove the Vanagon out here, and am now looking to buy another Subaru. Problem is, there are not so many rusty cars with low mileage engines out here. So I'm considering all my options on acquiring a donor engine and harness.

One immediate question is whether I am going to run into problems if I get an automatic Subaru when I have a manual Vanagon? I had thought I read somewhere that you want the same style transmission from your donor. Obviously, if I can expand my search to automatics, there are a lot more potential cars to choose from.
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

It doesnt matter if its an auto or manual. You ground out one of the wires on the ecu to switch it to manual.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

You did good. 1995 and 96 up to December 31, 95 are perfect choices. OBDII but only required to be OBDI certified. Slip in the 97 heads and cams and you are golden. Improved low end torque and lower internal friction. The 97 intake manifold improves low end torque, but some California referees can spot the different appearance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

jeffsab wrote:
So plans have changed, in a big way.

Short story is that I moved to Portland, OR. Without time to do the conversion beforehand, I sold the Legacy wagon, drove the Vanagon out here, and am now looking to buy another Subaru. Problem is, there are not so many rusty cars with low mileage engines out here. So I'm considering all my options on acquiring a donor engine and harness.

One immediate question is whether I am going to run into problems if I get an automatic Subaru when I have a manual Vanagon? I had thought I read somewhere that you want the same style transmission from your donor. Obviously, if I can expand my search to automatics, there are a lot more potential cars to choose from.

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/ has link to John Lemley for good engines and other links in your area.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/ has link to John Lemley for good engines and other links in your area.

+1 on John Lemley. We have ~75,000 miles on the engine we got from John and it is still strong.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the tip on John Lemley. I'm going to inquire with him. It sure would be nice not to have to pull the engine and harness in my tiny new driveway. My neighbors would certainly appreciate it!

I've been looking at Craigslist since I got out here. Kind of shocked how many 200k-mile Subarus are being called "low miles" and how much people expect to sell a 20-year-old car for. Hey, it's a "great car, just has a blown head gasket and rod knock" for only $2500! My midwestern sensibility says I'd be better off buying a $200 car from a Copart auction.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Hey there - welcome to the great PNW. I'm over here in Hood River planning the same swap. I have my eye on a non-running 1995 2.2 liter OBDII suby out here. It's a risk, as a non-runner, but I would just pull the motor and rebuild it over the winter...then take the long slow approach to gathering parts to swap it into my van.

I have also considered the OBII EJ25.

Which leads me to this...

There is a wrecking yard in the small town of Mt Hood just South of Hood River that has a plethora of totaled Subaru's (many with back end only damage). I have not yet called them, but I am curious what they would sell a complete car for, or at least the motor and wiring harness. Might be a descent option.

Most of them are newer, but he may also have some older stuff - https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/ptd/d/parting-out-white-2006-subaru/6320462843.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/search/grg/sss?query=subaru&sort=rel

There are also two listed in the Dalles with "rebuilt" or "new" motors. Might be worth checking out.

"New" motor - https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/d/1997-subaru-legacy-outback/6343386084.html
"Rebuilt" motor - https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/d/98-subaru-rebuilt-motor/6319564326.html
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Here is a $600 CAN 2000 2.2 parts car in Victoria. 200,000km http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/subaru-impreza-outback-parts-car_30582575
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

I just saw this on Portland craigslist today. Lots of body damage in the rear, so perfect donor. I wonder what they would actually sell it for? $1500? it is a 2.5, so maybe that's not what your after.

https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/1998-subaru-outback-limited/6342416661.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: