Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Short shifter vs Classic OEM for learning to shift ? (opinions )
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Short shifter vs Classic OEM for learning to shift ? (opinions ) Reply with quote

The only reason I would say stock is because I have enough trouble reaching the knob in 1st and 3rd as it is. With that shorty, it's be an even more certifiable PITA. Caveat - I have an extension on it so I don't have to lean forward, so I favor a longer shifter.

But my reason for not suggesting stock is that it is pretty mushy with linkage that runs as far back as it does to the trans. A more precise aftermarket shifter could result in more precise action.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Short shifter vs Classic OEM for learning to shift ? (opinions ) Reply with quote

I would add that the VS shifter is a lot more precise or positive feeling ... so a shorter throw may be easier to learn on... it is a lot easier to drive with
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Short shifter vs Classic OEM for learning to shift ? (opinions ) Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Refocusing on a new driver- stock is the only decent teaching tool. All these mentioned aftermarket thingies are rowed by experienced beetle people- not new manual drivers.

Back when I was a new manual driver, my VW was only a few years old and still shifted like it should. When nothing is worn out yet, it's a piece of cake.

Add 45 years of wear and tear and it can be a piece of something else.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Short shifter vs Classic OEM for learning to shift ? (opinions ) Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
hitest wrote:
Refocusing on a new driver- stock is the only decent teaching tool. All these mentioned aftermarket thingies are rowed by experienced beetle people- not new manual drivers.

Back when I was a new manual driver, my VW was only a few years old and still shifted like it should. When nothing is worn out yet, it's a piece of cake.

Add 45 years of wear and tear and it can be a piece of something else.

Max

Yep, that's why I think the coupler and bushing are far more important than the shifter itself. It will bring a consistency that will avoid confusing the novice. I would check the front tranny mount as well.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Short shifter vs Classic OEM for learning to shift ? (opinions ) Reply with quote

And don't forget the hockey stick bushing in the nosecone.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Short shifter vs Classic OEM for learning to shift ? (opinions ) Reply with quote

Stock, with new bushings front and rear. The throw problem, especially to 3rd, can be fixed with a shift extension.

Really don't like the idea of a fast shift from 1st to 2nd, especially when cold. When hot it gets like butter, but I still hesitate between gears.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: