Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Air Conditioning
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket Air Conditioning Reply with quote

Has anyone added a/c to a van without it?

IF so, how well did it work & what all did you have to do to get the cool air up near the driver?
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sites.google.com/site/blakeheinlein/blake/air-conditioning-project

Vintage Air system complete documentation. Cool

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van didn't come with AC and I found a used Behr unit and installed it in the dash. It works well and I spent less than $500, although I already had the Subaru compressor.

Search for "behr":
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=behr&search_forum=20
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed Blake's install and made only a few changes. I mounted the relays where I could access them without removing the dash and made some custom adapters from fiberglass to attach the stock defroster vents. I also used a bulkhead fitting for the AC lines so that I could get the dash back together and start using the vanagon while I finished the project.

I don't believe it cools enough for the rear passengers, but up front we are styling. Here is a picture of the finished dash. I post this only because Blake's documentation showed adding a second dashboard cover for his radio and it appeared to also be covering the center dash ducts. I contacted Blake a few times during my install and he explained the ducts do fit under the dash. He was correct. I installed a remote Clarion marine stereo for tunes. Bonus, the stereo has a weather band, handy when you are camping.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my under dash Vintage Air set up. Like rsxsr says, it works well for the front passengers. I'm working on a second blower to pump cool through the stock channel through the door and over to the slider door vents.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ looks familiar. Cool I should add, going with a system like vintage air, you end up with basically a brand new system designed for R134. It also includes a new heater core. Not to say that a used system from a Vanagon would not be worth the trouble, but you would be installing old parts that when and if they fail, in some cases may not be available. We also use the heck out of our rear overhead cabinet. It holds a ton of food supplies. Well relatively speaking.
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice installs, nice to see you can do it cleanly without the double cluster. Looks like the only drawback is losing the radio slot. Could either of you hazard a rough estimate of what you spent (everything except the compressor)?
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPrato wrote:
I'm working on a second blower to pump cool through the stock channel through the door and over to the slider door vents.

I've been thinking of doing this as well. The Behr unit sits right on top of that air channel, I was thinking that drilling a few holes between the two to allow air to flow would work.

In my case the advantage would be two fold - the AC will reach the rear vents, and if fresh air is desired from the front vents, the "rear air" lower slider on the stock control panel will now flow up through those holes and out the front vents.

My concern is the structural integrity of that air duct, as I believe it's part of the frontal crash structure. However drilling many holes instead of a large one should keep most of the strength.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I was into to it for less than $800 I believe on my original purchase which included the evap, condensor, drier and trinary switch. I purchased those from Summit Racing. It started to get more expensive when I purchased the fittings and hose, along with another supplemental order for some defroster vents that I was not able to use and too lazy to return. Hooking up the defoster reliably ended up being one of the more challenging tasks. So, less than $1500, but more than a $1000. On Blake's site somewhere he has the original order sheet.

My diesel had a 1 year only radiator which had to be upgraded at the same time that I installed the condensor. I used a wider one than Blake did. I also had to replace the radiator shroud and fan, but was able to salvage them from the junk yard. I missed the rad fan resistor and ended up adding one from a EuroVan that was readily available. I also added to addtional relays for taking the load for the compressor and for the 2nd speed radiator.

In the end, when the compressor is on, the radiator is on low, when the head pressure builds, the rad fan is on medium, when the head pressure exceeds the trinary switch the rad fan goes to high. It is all straight forward. I did modify the rad fan temp switch wiring to switch grounds rather than power. Was just easier to do it that way when working with multple relays. mark
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
I... made some custom adapters from fiberglass to attach the stock defroster vents.

Do you have any pictures of these adapters?

rsxsr wrote:
I don't believe it cools enough for the rear passengers,

That is why you really want the factory rear air in place, if possible. The van is a big box you know. I am leaving the rear in place but the front needs the help really.

rsxsr wrote:
but up front we are styling.

Any ideas on vent temps?

How is the flow? Sides, center, etc????

rsxsr wrote:
Here is a picture of the finished dash. ...the center dash ducts.

Where is that center vent from? The vents are a question area for me. I see some interesting ash tray vents in pictures too.

I have a couple of incomplete Behr units and am trying to decide to use those or change to this vintage air unit. I am concerned about service and how it all integrates to the van. I want to keep the family happy with as much cold and warm air as I can. I do not know which unit works better. Sigh....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the adapters I made. The slip onto the underside of the center defroster vents and accept the Vintage Air defroster hoses.

As far as the cooling up front, vent temps seem to be around 45F, flow is decent on the medium speed. On high it blows like crazy, but is a little noisey for me. It is just my wife and I. The dog spends time between us and when he gets cold, slips into the back. Never had any passengers for our road trips. A second unit under the back seat crossed my mind, but would be lot to figure out. Just glad to have ac finally.

I am using the stock dash side fresh air vents along with the center vents that are mounted in the radio slot. They were supplied by vintage air. Blake uses round ones, but I felt the rectangular ones fit the style better. What you see on the dash top infront of the ashtray is a factory speaker grill cover for the 82. The side defroster vents are disabled. The Vintage air controls are mounted in place of the factory air fresh air/heat controls.

The stereo is mounted behind the lower dash panel and has a remote head unit that I installed into the head liner.

I think I answered all of your questions.
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do right, it's very expensive. Unless you've got the a/c tools and know how yourself. Here's a few pics on the system I had put in this last summer.

2014 Tesla Model S P85+
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the install. I assume that setup has two evaporators, right? Can you tell us what compressor is used with this configuration?

Thanks

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are separate evaporators for the front and rear a/c units, so two total. The compressor is a Sanden, I believe. I can't recall the model number, but I will post some pictures of it next time I'm near the van (in a week or two).

Because of the 1.9TD engine compartment layout, I had a custom bracket made for the compressor that allows easier access to the battery (which is located inside the engine compartment). I'm really happy with the setup.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'd love some details on the compressor installation--I have JX 1.6td and need a what to add that bracket...

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the only photo I've got on my computer right now that shows the compressor at all. The bracket that holds the alternator is good, but not ideal. There is a little bit of space where the alternator wants to touch the battery sometimes, so the plan is to ultimately move the main battery to underneath the driver's seat.

2014 Tesla Model S P85+
krscholz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Air Conditioning Reply with quote

I'm pretty comfortable around cars and can fix almost anything, however installing an aftermarket AC is intentionally out of my league. I decided to go with Small Car Performance near Tacoma WA. Considering the time and expenses of doing it myself, I decided it wasn't worth it. I have heard good stuff about this company and have decided to leave it up to them. I'm having my system installed the week before Thanksgiving this year (2017). Please feel free to contact me with any questions after the install.
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Air Conditioning Reply with quote

krscholz wrote:
I'm pretty comfortable around cars and can fix almost anything, however installing an aftermarket AC is intentionally out of my league. I decided to go with Small Car Performance near Tacoma WA. Considering the time and expenses of doing it myself, I decided it wasn't worth it. I have heard good stuff about this company and have decided to leave it up to them. I'm having my system installed the week before Thanksgiving this year (2017). Please feel free to contact me with any questions after the install.

You might be set on the cost at Small Car but I can definitely say it's not as hard as you think. It's just tedious. If you plot out all of your fittings and you buy the Mastercool Hose Clamp then it's actually a very novice job.

I had my kit for over a year before I finally decided to go for it and it took me 26 hours total. That's a lot of time but I had a break between other projects so I had some free time to knock it out.

Really the only other tool you need (unless you plan on charging the system yourself) is a step drill bit and some zip ties.

My only change from this diagram (made at the beginning) to the final system was the connections at the compressor. It was a tight fit on the 1.8t to clear the oil filter. I instead used 2x 90º connections and used inline suction and discharge ports instead.

My only issue was the wiring but the people on this forum are a massive help.

I used the kit from SmallCar

77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Air Conditioning Reply with quote

krscholz wrote:

krscholz, Now that it's hot out, how pleased are you with the Small Car system? I have an 86 Weekender that has a 2.5 Subaru swap done by Small Car and the one thing that is killing me is driving between Bellevue and Shoreline in traffic on hot days. I'm debating a DIY kit or the Small Car system.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Air Conditioning Reply with quote

I think these systems are expansion valve systems but Ive just discovered adjustable orifice valve systems which purportedly address the idle speed performance of these systems by adjusting, somehow. Ive pinged my vendor for more details

Im not an AC expert so I might be blowing smoke here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: