Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full BabyMoon Hub Caps
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

I was looking for something different to pit on my 69 steel wheels and I saw these hubcaps on ebay. The looked really cool. It would cover the whole wheel except for the very outer edge which would show the color of the wheel which in my case would be red. I called the guy who was selling them and he assured me that they would fit all 15 inch wheels...........Well, they didn't fit. Problem? The VW wheel center ridge the part where the original hub cap goes onto is raised some what. No problem for the original hub cap but for this new cap it wasn't deep enough. Or should I say the ridge was too high. I tried to bang the cap on to see how far down it needed to go, but it wouldn't sit all the way down. In doing so I put a few marks on the cap. Called the guy back and asked if I could return the wheel..... Well, noway Jose since I had marred one cap and he couldn't resell because he sold them in complete sets.

Anyway I'm stuck with them, to bad cause the look really cool. Don't buy those full 15 inch baby moons to put on your VW wheel. They won't fit. I posted some pics, hope your able to see them. Comments welcome...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

full moons cover the whole wheel,baby moons fit like a stock hubcap....
TjdTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-10-1060
bam 11 bucks a peice

Beetle Bums VW Club Member

Jamies74sb wrote:
I can't see myself cutting up my super beetle . Maybe a oval or 61 or so with the small windows
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full Moon discs cover the entire wheel. Babys only the center. Fulls are available 2 ways - clip or bolt on.

I got a set of stainless clip ons from CIP1 I think, and they went on fine - But I decided I didnt like the look. If you have screw ons, and they are close, you can space them out with washers.

The one thing that you also need to think about is the wheel offset. You can have over 1/2" variation of the wheel center depth relative to the outer rim.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: 15 inch Full Baby Moon Hub Caps Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't think I can use them. Maybe I'll put on Ebay at a discount!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

Its been a while since I've posted here Just wanted to let some know about some baby moon hup caps I purchased from chirco, I believe their name is. They were garbage.. Made in china junk. As soon as I tapped them in with my hands on the edges, they started to dent in. Pissed me off. I guess I got what I paid for, because they were truly garbage. I'm guessing a stainless steel cap might be better? Where can one get good quality caps.. Don't mind paying for them as long as the quality is good....
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

Don't know where I got the ones on my VW Woodie. Probably CIP1. They have been on the car for 7 years and holding up well. BUT you want to paint/coat the insides of any of the cheaper caps and keep the outside waxed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

Are these the Baby Baby moons or the Big Baby moons?
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

These are the small baby moons with no logo on them. I got them from Chirco about a year back, just put them on. When I tapped them in, with my hands mind you, they immediately dented in. The insides where labeled made in china..DON'T BUY THESE... I shopped around the net, found some that were mad of SS... Pricey , about 30 bucks a piece, but I'm hoping they are better quality... I'll keep shopping....
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Pricey , about 30 bucks a piece, but I'm hoping they are better quality... I'll keep shopping....

These days at swap meets, one GOOD stock late 50-early 60s cap with a painted logo will command $100. $30 is pocket change considering.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

Thirty bucks for a decent quality hubcap for anything is very reasonable.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

Be grateful you arent trying to find new German early hubcaps.....OMG!!!!
StreetBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

Check out these! Fit perfect, look good and priced right. Speedway!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards,
JWS
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

Nice caps..but I like the moon types..
These are the ones I'm talking about..Hard to see the dents, but not pretty. That rear end is coming down a few inches, BTW...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
StreetBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

I like the baby moon caps also. Was once my first pick, along with chrome trim rings on 15 " wheels . My trim rings came from an ISUZU dealer.Full wheel caps are easy to locate.
Good luck,
JWS
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Full BabyMoon Hub Caps Reply with quote

Danka..........
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: